Author Topic: A must-win for Dems in Virginia  (Read 8759 times)

Offline bolobaby

Re: A must-win for Dems in Virginia
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2017, 04:26:38 am »
@dfwgator

"Didn't embrace Trump"

Do you really not know how you sound?

We've long established that the Trumpettes are tone deaf.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Silver Pines

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2017, 04:28:48 am »
Oh..I certainly think they can win...but to think a Repub could win in Va is dreaming..at least right now.

@mystery-ak

My state is pretty much screwed.  Permanently.

Offline corbe

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2017, 04:31:14 am »
   That's bad news @CatherineofAragon but the good side of that is it will probably widen the gap between the clintonistas and the communists and even further fracture the dem party, Lord knows what shape the GOP will be in by then.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:32:27 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2017, 04:41:08 am »
It was Gillespie who failed to embrace Trump, not the other way around.  Trump was merely being a good soldier.

It is the Virginia GOP that rejected Conservatism quite some time ago.  The last Conservative governor was John Dalton.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:41 am »
We've long established that the Trumpettes are tone deaf.

Nothing will ever be their fault and certainly not dear leader's fault.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:53 am »
It is the Virginia GOP that rejected Conservatism quite some time ago.  The last Conservative governor was John Dalton.

Well now Virginia gets to reap the whirlwind, enjoy.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2017, 05:44:27 am »
Sooo. What elected office is left for the Establishment to stick Gillespie in now? Any school board elections coming up?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2017, 07:49:07 am »
Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for.

Somebody please give Donnie a hug.....

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:55:56 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2017, 11:48:42 am »
Virginia is quickly becoming the Commonwealth of South Maryland.
The only way the GOPe can retain power is to have democrat boogeymen to run against. So people can vote for the non-democrat next time. Anyone remotely conservative gets into office, and the GOPe loses.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:16 pm »
   That's bad news @CatherineofAragon but the good side of that is it will probably widen the gap between the clintonistas and the communists and even further fracture the dem party, Lord knows what shape the GOP will be in by then.

@corbe

Honestly, I think the GOP is just an ineffectual, pathetic mess.  I'm trying to understand how and why Republican voters didn't turn out after four years of McAuliffe. 

And the first trans state senator---really??  If you feel a seismic shift today, it's George Washington flopping in his grave.  It makes me sick.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2017, 12:09:35 pm »
@mystery-ak

My state is pretty much screwed.  Permanently.

I'm sorry @CatherineofAragon

I totally get it too. Wanna start our own state? Might I recommend a cat with a donut on the flag? Grumpy Cat saying don't tread on me?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2017, 12:09:50 pm »
Nothing will ever be their fault and certainly not dear leader's fault.

@Cripplecreek

"Just a good soldier", lol.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline LMAO

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2017, 01:34:10 pm »
If I was a resident of Maine, I would be concerned with Maine voting expansion of Medicaid recipients
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2017, 02:08:54 pm »
The bottom line is that NoVa is now filled with Marylanders who have escaped the hell hole they built north of the Potomac in favor of the excellent schools, lower cost of living, and low taxes of Fairfax County, and are now turning that county into the same type of hell hole they built in Montgomery and Fredrick counties, Md.

Liberals lost the capacity to learn.  They implement policies that destroy their cost of living, move to a new place, and do the exact same thing all over again.

You want to turn Virginia back into a Conservative state?  Then cut back the size of the federal government.  The only reason those people live near DC is because of all the government spending.  If Republicans actually did what they claim to be for, then we would be celebrating the election of Mark Obenshain as the new governor while wishing the best for outgoing governor Cuccinelli.  But Republicans choose to dig their own graves instead.  At least Democrats understand power.  They read 1984 and learned from it in a bad way.

This is the most accurate assessment of what is going on that I have seen so far in all the comments.   

The fundamentals are moving Virginia towards the Democrats.   Till we cut the revenue stream from Washington DC that flows out to Virginia,   the state will continue moving in  the direction of supporting people who keep those money streams flowing. 
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2017, 02:09:03 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Concerned

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/359297-virginia-dems-set-to-make-gains-in-house-of-delegates
Dems see gains in Virginia's House of Delegates

This is the biggest story of night IMO and is an alarming message for Republicans looking forward to the mid-terms.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2017, 02:19:26 pm »
@corbe

Honestly, I think the GOP is just an ineffectual, pathetic mess.  I'm trying to understand how and why Republican voters didn't turn out after four years of McAuliffe.

It is because the state GOP helped McAuliffe get elected by stabbing Cuccinelli in the back and then not fighting for Obenshain who openly won the AG spot.

Seriously, the state GOP is the real enemy here.   They stood idly by while Democrats stole the AG seat in 2013, turning a 1200-vote victory into a 900-vote loss.  This loss effectively ended Virginia's challenge to the Obamacare law.  And it all happened because Bill Bolling got his feelings hurt.  To hell with them all.

If there were a Conservative party in the Commonwealth, voters would support it.  But it is clear they will not support Democrat-lite.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »
Meanwhile, the alphabet soup lobby's chosen one, Danica Roem, now has knocked off one of the most entrenched members of the Virginia Assembly, Bob Marshall.

Well, Danica has a reputation for turning things outside in.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Silver Pines

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2017, 07:16:50 pm »
I'm sorry @CatherineofAragon

I totally get it too. Wanna start our own state? Might I recommend a cat with a donut on the flag? Grumpy Cat saying don't tread on me?

@Freya

At this point I'm thinking a flag with a fifth of Night Train Express.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2017, 07:28:47 pm »
@dfwgator

"Didn't embrace Trump"

Do you really not know how you sound?

Apparently not.

We must "embrace" you know, or we are forever lost...... 

My opinion has been, and still is,  that Trump will do to the GOP what Obama has done for the Dems.

The difference is that there was a little spark in the GOP worth saving, and nothing in the Dem party.

That spark is being doused by those "embracing" Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2017, 07:29:33 pm »
At this point I'm thinking a flag with a fifth of Night Train Express.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2017, 07:49:48 pm »
...We must "embrace" you know, or we are forever lost...... 

No, the Republicans do not have to "embrace" the President and his policies.  But those who do not should have a Plan B to replace the republican, democrat and independent voters they will lose. 

Like the voters who waited on lines 2.5 miles long for candidate Trump's "Midnight Rally" on Nov. 8, 2017 in Leesburg, Virginia:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:18:07 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2017, 08:02:03 pm »
No, the Republicans do have to "embrace" the President and his policies.

Which of the President's policies did Gillespie fail to embrace?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
This is the biggest story of night IMO and is an alarming message for Republicans looking forward to the mid-terms.

The biggest story?  That a democrat state voted for a democrat.  Don't think so, and I'm not at all alarmed about the mid-terms... I think they will go Republican.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.