Author Topic: John McCain Confirms: Tax Reform Is "DOA In The Senate"  (Read 5050 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

Re: John McCain Confirms: Tax Reform Is "DOA In The Senate"
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 03:19:26 pm »
I'm in no way defending McCain, but he may have inadvertently help save us from this pi**poor bill.  This isn't a tax cut; it's a tax shuffle.

This may be true,  but he isn't doing it for us,  he's doing it for his own petty arrogance.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2017, 03:20:03 pm »
That tax bill is what happens when leadership is as weak as this congress's is.

That tax bill is what happens when they have to run everything by their K Street masters before taking ANY action!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2017, 03:20:26 pm »

This may be true,  but he isn't doing it for us,  he's doing it for his own petty arrogance.   

...and, that's why I'm not defending him...

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2017, 03:20:52 pm »
Absolutely!   888high58888

(Well, I can be wrong, but I'm not sure about you.  You are very thoughtful.)

You know it.  I'm as deep as a puddle on the drive-way in the south Florida summer sun.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2017, 03:21:18 pm »
Diane Feinstein is 84 and wants to run for another 6 year term.

She's wealthier than Rockefeller and she just can't leave Washington and enjoy what little remains of her life.

These people do not believe they are like you and I. And they're not.

Money doesn't matter to them.   The Social status they have from wielding power is what matters to them. 

Term limits is the solution.   Keep rotating them out,  and much that is wrong with Washington DC will be remedied. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »

Money doesn't matter to them.   The Social status they have from wielding power is what matters to them. 

Term limits is the solution.   Keep rotating them out,  and much that is wrong with Washington DC will be remedied.

The deterioration of the US Senate can be traced directly to the 17th Amendment, which allowed for popular, direct election of U.S. Senators, who had previously been appointed by the legislatures of each state. Now, instead of representing the broader interests of the state from which they come, Senators are glorified and exalted versions of House Representatives, with more power but less responsibility.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »

And quite frankly, they are all liars.  They never had any intention of keeping their word. 

Only about 1/2 dozen fall into that category. McCain, Collins, Corker and a few others.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »

It's the power, not the social status.  It's why, not only won't they repeal Obamacare, but also, they are actively looking to force upon us government run health care.  They relish the ability to play God and decide who lives and who dies. 

I doubt we will ever see term limits.  After all, they are the ones who would decide on this issue and no way would they want to give up their power.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2017, 03:41:37 pm »
That tax bill is what happens when they have to run everything by their K Street masters before taking ANY action!

:thumbsup:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »
The deterioration of the US Senate can be traced directly to the 17th Amendment, which allowed for popular, direct election of U.S. Senators, who had previously been appointed by the legislatures of each state. Now, instead of representing the broader interests of the state from which they come, Senators are glorified and exalted versions of House Representatives, with more power but less responsibility.

B I N G O ! ! !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:52:19 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2017, 03:58:32 pm »
Only about 1/2 dozen fall into that category. McCain, Collins, Corker and a few others.

Far more than just a few.  In fact, I'm hard pressed to find any who aren't liars and thieves.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »
John McCain confirms (again) that he is a collaborator.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2017, 04:13:32 pm »
@skeeter
Boy is that ever true. It is like a disease of some kind. Some kind of insatiable lust/greed for money and power. Enough is never Enough. It is more important to them than life itself.

I could never live like that. I can't even imagine thinking like that. I want to have some fun, live my life. I have a bucket list. I want to buy a place in Aruba and chill out. I don't want to have to 'go to work' when I am 90 years old. Maybe they have some kind of mental illness that makes them think that as long as they 'stay in office', they cannot die. It really does look that way.

Something is really wrong with those guys. On a serious level. They are never going to leave office until the paramedics have to pry their hands off their desks. It's a mental illness.

I'm with you.

Unbeknownst to me was a financial benefit to taking Social Security early. My son qualifies for  benefits until he graduates from HS in 2 1/2 years.

As a result, I'm chilling for the next two years. I'll work part time, doing something that I want to do, such as work in a local wine bar/tasting room.

I can't imagine continuing to work in an unfulfilling job when I can spend time with my 7 year old grandson.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »

Whatever happened to the saying that we voters are their employers?  I don't know about anyone else here, but if I treated my employers the way these charlatans treat us voters, I would have been in the unemployment line.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 04:38:24 pm »
Whatever happened to the saying that we voters are their employers?  I don't know about anyone else here, but if I treated my employers the way these charlatans treat us voters, I would have been in the unemployment line.

And they should be as well!  But we also need to take away the tools that allow the K Street people to hold so much power in Washington starting with the current tax code and the IRS!

We should never forget that the 16th and 17th amendments as well as the federal reserve act all came to us in the same year under President Woodrow Wilson!  I don't think that was an accident.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:40:33 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 05:08:14 pm »
I'm with you.

Unbeknownst to me was a financial benefit to taking Social Security early. My son qualifies for  benefits until he graduates from HS in 2 1/2 years.

As a result, I'm chilling for the next two years. I'll work part time, doing something that I want to do, such as work in a local wine bar/tasting room.

I can't imagine continuing to work in an unfulfilling job when I can spend time with my 7 year old grandson.
@Night Hides Not

When I was younger, I worked in an elite very technical environment. We were building and programming satellites. Everything was very serious, very intense. Lot's of pressure all the time.

Very competitive. It was a place where you really could make a lot of money. And we all knew that. My boss couldn't understand me. He was confused why I didn't care? I didn't feel the pressure. It was perplexing him.

I think that I might be a closet hippy. I don't know. But I really just didn't care. I was good at my job. I was coding ADA with pragma C on a supercomputer with an Informix database for the government. And I was good.

My boss asked me, 'What is up with you? Why are you not bothered by any of this? What the hell?'

I looked at him and I said sort of like that Oddball guy in that movie, I said for some reason that I don't know, I said, "You know man, some people just can't hear the music." I was just having fun. I didn't need all the drama.

Sometimes, you just have to take a break, and listen to the music. So many people in my life really just don't get that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5cL-h3Pj1o
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:15:58 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 05:28:50 pm »
Diane Feinstein is 84 and wants to run for another 6 year term.
She's wealthier than Rockefeller and she just can't leave Washington and enjoy what little remains of her life.
These people do not believe they are like you and I. And they're not.
@skeeter
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak
@INVAR
@CatherineofAragon
@roamer_1

At what age do you want us to be to give up living and learning and making a contribution to society?
I just wrote a book at age 83 - was that okay with you or should I sit and do nothing since I am 83?
At what age are you going to give up living?  If you have an age for us, what is yours?
You say, "enjoy what little remains of her live".  What do you call "enjoy"?  She is 84 and I am 83 and I am going to "enjoy" writing another book.  Again, what is your definition of "enjoy"?

Yes, I am taking up for people in their 80s.  I am not dead yet and have said I will run for Miss America when I am 100.  I refuse to sit and do nothing until I die.  What is the age you want us to stop living?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 05:33:31 pm »
@skeeter
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak
@INVAR
@CatherineofAragon
@roamer_1

At what age do you want us to be to give up living and learning and making a contribution to society?
I just wrote a book at age 83 - was that okay with you or should I sit and do nothing since I am 83?
At what age are you going to give up living?  If you have an age for us, what is yours?
You say, "enjoy what little remains of her live".  What do you call "enjoy"?  She is 84 and I am 83 and I am going to "enjoy" writing another book.  Again, what is your definition of "enjoy"?

Yes, I am taking up for people in their 80s.  I am not dead yet and have said I will run for Miss America when I am 100.  I refuse to sit and do nothing until I die.  What is the age you want us to stop living?

You are coherent though.  When you become as incoherent as she is we will gently suggest you retire.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 05:33:39 pm »
@skeeter
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak
@INVAR
@CatherineofAragon
@roamer_1

Unless you are one of those who live to lord over me - to tell me how to live MY life while you go about living a life of privilege apart then God bless you, work as long as you want.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
@Night Hides Not

When I was younger, I worked in an elite very technical environment. We were building and programming satellites. Everything was very serious, very intense. Lot's of pressure all the time.

Very competitive. It was a place where you really could make a lot of money. And we all knew that. My boss couldn't understand me. He was confused why I didn't care? I didn't feel the pressure. It was perplexing him.

I think that I might be a closet hippy. I don't know. But I really just didn't care. I was good at my job. I was coding ADA with pragma C on a supercomputer with an Informix database for the government. And I was good.

My boss asked me, 'What is up with you? Why are you not bothered by any of this? What the hell?'

I looked at him and I said sort of like that Oddball guy in that movie, I said for some reason that I don't know, I said, "You know man, some people just can't hear the music." I was just having fun. I didn't need all the drama.

Sometimes, you just have to take a break, and listen to the music. So many people in my life really just don't get that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5cL-h3Pj1o

Naw, if you had a regular job, you weren't a hippy.   

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2017, 05:51:38 pm »
@skeeter
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak
@INVAR
@CatherineofAragon
@roamer_1

Big difference between you and the octogenarians in Congress. Many no longer have the mental faculties that are necessary to being functional legislators. That includes septuagenarians like Pelosi and Thad Cochran.

I'm not done yet, at 63. In addition to spending my time on winery visits, I'm going back to school for a history degree. I'd like to do some serious research on the history of Mosel viticulture, which dares back to the Romans.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2017, 05:56:38 pm »
@skeeter
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak
@INVAR
@CatherineofAragon
@roamer_1

"Age" is not the issue. It is not at all about 'stop living', it's more about 'start living'. Nobody cares about how old you are, to a point. You're not going to draft 70 year old guys into the Army because that would make no sense.

It's not about how old you are, it is more about being rational and reasonable. It is about sharing the wealth. Pass the baton. My reverse question is when is Enough, Enough? I'm not talking about age here, it's just damn!

Like you said, go write a book. Write a dozen books. Travel around the world. Do whatever you want to do. But, for Christ's sake, give some younger people a break. You can't become a squatter in your office until you die. Not only is it undignified, it is also simply 'not fair'. It is greedy and unbecoming.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:19:27 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »
I'm in no way defending McCain, but he may have inadvertently help save us from this pi**poor bill.  This isn't a tax cut; it's a tax shuffle.

I agree. They are all afraid to lower the top margins, for fear of being accused of helping the rich.
This bill doesn't, and will not, do that.

Offline bilo

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
That truth became crystal clear when they refused to put a clean OCare repeal bill on Trumps' desk. They put one on Os' desk knowing he'd never sign it. But would not do the same for Trump knowing he WOULD sign it.

That's why I won't vote for them in a general election again. I will support conservatives in the primaries and if they aren't on the ballot in the general election I won't vote. Enough is enough!

Tax reform is quickly becoming another example of how little party discipline the Pubs have and how they are liars and cheats. They say they will do one thing during the campaign and then they do another when it's time to follow through. They fund raise promising to do one thing if we will just send them more money and then they don't do it. Liars and Cheats!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2017, 06:11:19 pm »

I turn the channel to FOX business news before I go to bed. So it is the first thing I see when I turn on the TV the next day to check out the business news.  Right after I woke up today,  I turned on the TV and the English guy was ranting at a guest.  The first words I heard were about the GOP raising an individual tax rate.  Since I have been ranting for weeks about the GOP raising the lowest tax rate from 10% to 12%... in my still sleepy state of mind,  that was my first thought.  Then immediately it became clear he was ranting about the GOP's last minute increase  [back to the current tax rate] on the highest incomes. 

Here's the irony... when so many here were attacking me for my position against the GOP tax plan.... I remember saying that some of them might find out the hard way they will be negatively affected as well.

Stuart Varney was the FOX Business host who was ranting.  Ironic that the shoe is now on the other foot.

Here's a related news article

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2017/11/06/economy-misses-out-as-taxes-rise-for-rich-varney.html