Author Topic: Lost Nazi-era art collection goes on display  (Read 332 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Lost Nazi-era art collection goes on display
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:06:15 am »
Derek Scally .

After lost decades in a squalid Munich apartment and five years in a secret depot, the notorious Gurlitt art collection has finally gone on public display.
Some 450 of the most valuable works – lost paintings by Renoir, Cézanne, Monet and others – have gone on view in two shows in Bonn and in Berne.
The parallel exhibitions also explain the problematic history of the 1,500-item collection comprising painting, sketches and sculptures.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/lost-nazi-era-art-collection-goes-on-display-1.3279501
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Lost Nazi-era art collection goes on display
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:42:58 pm »
Whenever I see "Nazis" and "art", I think of the excellent 1964 movie by John Frankenheimer named "The Train", with Burt Lancaster, Paul Scofield and Jeanne Moreau.

If you've never seen it, worth watching on streaming video or downloading it from "wherever"...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:46:25 am »
Whenever I see "Nazis" and "art", I think of the excellent 1964 movie by John Frankenheimer named "The Train", with Burt Lancaster, Paul Scofield and Jeanne Moreau.

If you've never seen it, worth watching on streaming video or downloading it from "wherever"...

I've heard that is a real good movie, on some people's list of best war movies.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 02:58:36 am »
I've heard that is a real good movie, on some people's list of best war movies.

Same Here
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome