Author Topic: Female lawmakers share stories of alleged harassment in the House  (Read 571 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
News
Female lawmakers share stories of alleged harassment in the House

By Associated Press

November 3, 2017 | 4:53am | Updated

WASHINGTON — For years, Republican Rep. Mary Bono endured the increasingly suggestive comments from a fellow lawmaker in the House. But when the congressman approached her on the House floor and told her he’d been thinking about her in the shower, she’d had enough.

She confronted the man, who she said still serves in Congress, telling him his comments were demeaning and wrong. And he backed off.

Bono, who served 15 years before being defeated in 2012, is not alone.

more
http://nypost.com/2017/11/03/female-lawmakers-share-stories-of-alleged-harassment-in-the-house/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Female lawmakers share stories of alleged harassment in the House
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:53:08 pm »
I know some of the men on this forum don't like it, but this is a serious problem......... not just claims of harassment, but real, ugly harassment on a regular basis.  Not just in Congress, but in businesses everywhere, in med schools, in law schools...... all over the place.

Shirley Chisholm said she received more mistreatment in DC because she was a woman, than because she was black.

I continue to caution folks not to ignore this dirt just because some women have lied about it.

It is very real, and it needs to come out into the light of day, and be taken seriously by Conservatives.

If it is dismissed or scoffed at, the leftist stereotypes become reality, and that is a very serious problem for ALL of us.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:15:43 pm »
The difference being that there is a double standard. If women say this stuff to men, it is not considered harassment. If women say this stuff about other women, they don't get in trouble. I remember my female boss commenting on the attractive figure of another woman. As a man, I could never get away with that.

I bet a week doesn't go by that I don't hear a woman threaten domestic violence against her husband and women all agree with her. "I'm going to beat my husband if he didn't cut the grass today" or "If he says that to me again, I'm going to hit him with a frying pan".  If a man said that, he'd be in big trouble.

Harassment is when a person makes a serious threat, not on off-hand comment. That's just being rude.  So far, the media has blown every comment into harassment. That's why people don't take the really bad stuff seriously. That and the really bad stuff seems to be done by the media's darlings.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:59 pm »
The difference being that there is a double standard. If women say this stuff to men, it is not considered harassment. If women say this stuff about other women, they don't get in trouble. I remember my female boss commenting on the attractive figure of another woman. As a man, I could never get away with that.

I bet a week doesn't go by that I don't hear a woman threaten domestic violence against her husband and women all agree with her. "I'm going to beat my husband if he didn't cut the grass today" or "If he says that to me again, I'm going to hit him with a frying pan".  If a man said that, he'd be in big trouble.

Harassment is when a person makes a serious threat, not on off-hand comment. That's just being rude.  So far, the media has blown every comment into harassment. That's why people don't take the really bad stuff seriously. That and the really bad stuff seems to be done by the media's darlings.

What I'm saying is directly related to what you've said.  Being generally "rude" is not harassment, and the left, being generally anti-male, has tried to make it so.   (Threatening violence, IMO, should be reported, because it goes well beyond being rude).

I see the same thing happening with race among conservatives as is happening with gender.  "Well, if you're going to call me a racist, I'll be one."  "Well, if you're going to accuse me of sexism, I'll be sexist."

Bad idea.

The other negative result of reacting against the left here, is to not take serious allegations and offenses seriously, or to say that these things never happen.  I've seen a lot of posts and comments (here and elsewhere......not by you, btw), completely dismissing the reality of racism and the reality of sexism because of the idiocy and exaggeration of the left.

Both problems are real, and both need to be dealt with by conservative methods in a rational manner.

Just reacting against the media and the left is not going to make anything better.

Conservatives' recognizing the reality of sexism and the burden it has placed on professional women over the decades may well be the first step in solving the issue.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:10:53 pm »
Incidentally, the problem you've mentioned among women @Restored, is a direct result of the left's successful attempt to make women as amoral and vile as the worst of men.

I'm not in any way excusing, nor diminishing the problem of women doing the same thing that men have done for centuries....

It's ALL wrong.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:13:20 pm »
Female lawmakers share stories of alleged harassment in the House

Well I guess it is good that this occurred in the privacy of their homes and not at the workplace.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:24:32 pm »
Incidentally, the problem you've mentioned among women @Restored, is a direct result of the left's successful attempt to make women as amoral and vile as the worst of men.

I'm not in any way excusing, nor diminishing the problem of women doing the same thing that men have done for centuries....

It's ALL wrong.
People in power have a tendency to be corrupted by that power. Not everyone, but women, too, have been known to suffer from the same problem.

That doesn't make it right, by any means, just not specifically confined to those who have traditionally been the majority in power. Imho, if those in power can't treat each other with a modicum of respect and civility, that bodes ill for the rest of us.
And that's referring to real harassment, not a third party viewing a joke between colleagues and misinterpreting it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:36 pm »
People in power have a tendency to be corrupted by that power. Not everyone, but women, too, have been known to suffer from the same problem.

That doesn't make it right, by any means, just not specifically confined to those who have traditionally been the majority in power. Imho, if those in power can't treat each other with a modicum of respect and civility, that bodes ill for the rest of us.
And that's referring to real harassment, not a third party viewing a joke between colleagues and misinterpreting it.

The obvious fact you're omitting in your post is that, until very recently, men have had ALL the power in politics, in the marketplace, and for the most part in all of culture.

If it is power that has corrupted (and I don't dispute that it has), then men are far, far more corrupt than women, and have abused their power far more as well.  Until recently, men also made all the laws, which conveniently dismissed sexual assault and blamed the woman, not the assaulter.

And the very nature of males relative to the majority of females, is that of the aggressor (again, talking about real harassment, not "you look pretty today" faux harassment, or even dirty jokes).   Extremely aggressive women, though increasing, are still a minority.

No matter how much the faux feminist left has tried to equalize immorality and overall bad behavior, the problem is still weighted far more to one side than the other.

And we, as Conservatives, had better not ignore those problems, nor minimize them.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »
The obvious fact you're omitting in your post is that, until very recently, men have had ALL the power in politics, in the marketplace, and for the most part in all of culture.

If it is power that has corrupted (and I don't dispute that it has), then men are far, far more corrupt than women, and have abused their power far more as well.  Until recently, men also made all the laws, which conveniently dismissed sexual assault and blamed the woman, not the assaulter.

And the very nature of males relative to the majority of females, is that of the aggressor (again, talking about real harassment, not "you look pretty today" faux harassment, or even dirty jokes).   Extremely aggressive women, though increasing, are still a minority.

No matter how much the faux feminist left has tried to equalize immorality and overall bad behavior, the problem is still weighted far more to one side than the other.

And we, as Conservatives, had better not ignore those problems, nor minimize them.
Well, that is obvious. I'm not ignoring it, not condoning it in any way, shape, or form, and note that many offenders have a wife at home.  As for those who can't behave, If they can't view their fundamental vows of fidelity to their spouses (few are single) with some fealty, the lies they tell the constituents are nothing.

With the change in the gender makeup of these power groups, women will have their chance, and I doubt that they will remain blameless--in fact there is a contingent which has just been dreaming of 'paybacks'.

Perhaps the single worst song, ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLO1wyyBQU

I'm not saying this sort of behaviour doesn't go on, it does. Not everyone does it, despite efforts to paint that picture going back to using allegations of herd guilt to exonerate Bill Clinton by demanding no one throw the first stone on Capitol Hill (and Hillary knowing who's doing what with who)--after all, it was only a scandal if it hit the press. Yep, the vast majority of offenders have been male, because they have been in power  positions. That has changed some over the years, and that rate seems to be picking up.
Women governors, for instance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_governors_in_the_United_States

As one, who even when single, scrupulously avoided conflict of interest situations when in a supervisory role, and was taught from an early age to keep my hands to myself, I can say that these people aren't put in power positions to play grabass, but to get a job done. If they have their priorities inverted, they should be tossed out on their heads.

But I'm a fossil, in  sense, my morals were shaped before women wanted access (as professional reporters) to NFL locker rooms, served on warships, or anyone asserted alphabet rights, so the playing field is changing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis