Author Topic: School apologizes for 'disrespectful' 9/11 math problem  (Read 441 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
School apologizes for 'disrespectful' 9/11 math problem
« on: November 03, 2017, 05:37:43 pm »
Parents in Massachusetts are outraged after their high school students were asked to solve a math problem about 9/11.

A problem asking students to determine how long United Flight 175 was in the air before hitting the World Trade Center appeared on algebra homework at Newburyport High School.

"Thinking about something so sad with everything else going on in the world, I don't think it was the right thing to do,” grandparent Carol Bogard said.

Parents say there’s no excuse for the inappropriate question or how it was worded.

“Flight 175, one of 9/11 planes, was traveling at 586 miles per hour when it hit the World Trade Center. It had traveled a distance of 440 miles before impact. How many minutes was the plane in the air?” the question read.

http://www.wistv.com/story/36743448/school-apologizes-for-disrespectful-911-math-problem

I'm kinda torn on this one.  Yes, on one hand it does cause painful memories to resurface, but on the other, it helps to inform/remind kids why we're still in Afcrapistan fighting these savages.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: School apologizes for 'disrespectful' 9/11 math problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 05:42:28 pm »
The correct answer to the problem is that it is impossible to determine.   The fact that it was travelling at 586 mph at moment of impact doesn't mean that was its speed during the entire flight. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:53:15 pm »
The correct answer to the problem is that it is impossible to determine.   The fact that it was travelling at 586 mph at moment of impact doesn't mean that was its speed during the entire flight.

:thumbsup2:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »

It's a high school algebra story problem, not a college-level physics problem.  It's solvable using the level of problem solving tools available to a high school student.  That said, it could have been an airplane named "A" and a crash site named "B."  Wasn't kind using the 9/11 circumstances, especially in Massachusetts.

If I was a teacher grading the problem as I described it, without the 9/11 emotionalism, and a student gave me the answer you gave me, I'd have chuckled as I drew a big red "Zero" on your paper.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:22:24 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: