Author Topic: Daylight saving time ending, so change your clocks again Opposition building to longtime practice of adjusting to sunlight  (Read 2747 times)

rangerrebew

Daylight saving time ending, so change your clocks again
Opposition building to longtime practice of adjusting to sunlight
Published: 13 hours ago

One second after clocks say 1:59:59 early Sunday morning, Nov. 5, it will be 1 a.m. for most Americans and Europeans, not 2 a.m., as it’s the weekend for the annual shift from daylight saving time to standard time.

The time change first was utilized during World War I in an effort to save energy.

That reasoning doesn’t make as much sense these days, National Geographic said. A 2008 National Bureau of Economic Research study found that while demand for lighting dropped with the change, the savings were canceled by increasing energy demands for air conditioning.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/11/daylight-saving-time-ending-so-change-your-clocks-again/#tl2STqgf9WSWKc6Q.99

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I've been waiting for weeks for this change.   I am sick and tired of waking up and walking the dogs in total darkness before I go to work.   I'm sure the dogs will appreciate a little sunlight on their a.m. sniffin' sojourn as well.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Once we put it back to standard time let's just leave it there permanently!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

I'd rather deal with a little darkness in the morning than pitch darkness at 5:30pm.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Once we put it back to standard time let's just leave it there permanently!

What does it take to do this...Don't the States have to opt out?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

I'd like the clocks to fall back an hour each week. 

Then again, the nights wouldn't be so nice and peaceful for some of the time.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'd rather deal with a little darkness in the morning than pitch darkness at 5:30pm.

That's the tradeoff.  When my kids were younger,  I agreed with you.  Now that it's just me and the dogs,  I'm sick and tired of darkness in the morning.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Millee

Same.  :beer:

Offline skeeter

That's the tradeoff.  When my kids were younger,  I agreed with you.  Now that it's just me and the dogs,  I'm sick and tired of darkness in the morning.

I'm conscious of precious little in the AM until after the second pitcher of coffee anyhow.

Offline Applewood

What does it take to do this...Don't the States have to opt out?

I believe so.  Most of Arizona, except for Navajo lands, Hawaii and US territories such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands do not change their clocks twice a year. 

Offline musiclady

Turn the clocks back a half hour and leave them there year round.

There are other countries on the half hour (India??).  With the problems in calculating time differences overseas, since we've had kids living out of the country most of their adult lives, exists whether we're on standard or daylight time.

If we were 5 1/2 hours or 6 1/2 hours different all year long, it would be easier than the mess of the time change.

As much as I love having it light until 9:30- 10:00 pm in the summertime, I'd be happy for consistency all year long.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
An hour later or earlier doesn't matter to me. What is really important is to check the positions of bikes, rakes, or other miscellaneous items in the yard when I get home from work so I don't trip over anything when I get up to pee at night.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

Every time we change from DST to EST and back again, my body and mind are "off" for at least a day or two.  I'm just so out of sorts.  I would rather we just keep one time -- savings time or standard -- and leave it that way. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Every time we change from DST to EST and back again, my body and mind are "off" for at least a day or two.  I'm just so out of sorts.  I would rather we just keep one time -- savings time or standard -- and leave it that way.
I don't know about others, but my dogs are always screwed up for days after time changes, it totally disrupts their feeding routine, nothing worse than a sad eyed dog looking at you with recrimination because it thinks it's feeding time no matter what the dang clock says.

Offline Suppressed

When we set clocks forward in the Spring, there's a spike in both cardiac events and traffic incidents.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I don't know about others, but my dogs are always screwed up for days after time changes, it totally disrupts their feeding routine, nothing worse than a sad eyed dog looking at you with recrimination because it thinks it's feeding time no matter what the dang clock says.

Same here! The time change also gets me discombobulated.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline musiclady

For me, it's as long as a week, both directions.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
skeeter wrote:
"I'd rather deal with a little darkness in the morning than pitch darkness at 5:30pm."

I'm with you.
I like things as they are...  "spring forward, fall back".

If states start "opting out", it's gonna become nothin' but trouble for train, plane, bus schedules.

A total chaos about "what time it was" in differing states/areas back in the days when all trains had to run on were timetables and watches is what brought about "standardized time" in the first place...

Offline andy58-in-nh

It was better before they messed around with the time changes a few years back.  It made more sense for most places to change to daylight savings time in April rather than in March.  Similarly, it made more sense to move back to standard time in the last week of October rather than in November.  Here in Northern New England, if we didn't change to daylight time in the summer it would start to get light at 3:45 am, and I really don't want to buy blackout curtains so I can sleep.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
I don’t have a problem in the Spring going to DLST. Even though we are “losing” and hours sleep by springing ahead, I seem to have a lot more energy with the shift of having the sun set an hour later by the clock.

And I like the shift of more daylight later on the clock during the summer as it affords more time for outside things, mowing the grass, BBQ’s, pool time, going for walks after work, etc.

But I do have trouble adjusting for the first couple of weeks going back to standard time in the Fall - when I come home from work, all I want to do is go to bed. And there is something, for me at least, about sitting at my desk at work and seeing it get dark outside and realizing I still have another hour to work that really screws with my head, and my mood. 

But DLST or not, in the northern hemisphere, the days, meaning the amount of daylight hours, gets shorter in the Winter no matter what the clock says because the earth’s tilt doesn’t care what the clock says.

The thing is that DLST or Standard time, from about mid-November to late January, given my commute and my typical work day, I’m driving to work in the pitch dark and driving home in the pitch dark. I feel like a freaking vampire.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline endicom

An hour later or earlier doesn't matter to me. What is really important is to check the positions of bikes, rakes, or other miscellaneous items in the yard when I get home from work so I don't trip over anything when I get up to pee at night.

You pee in the yard?

Offline corbe

What's wrong with peeing in your yard? It probably explains the brown spots but it pisses my dogs off.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
   What's wrong with peeing in your yard? It probably explains the brown spots but it pisses my dogs off.

Ain't a damn thing peeing in your yard. The pisser is when the wife puts out a RULE with a SIGN that says "No peein' off the porch". Like I'm going to turn on a light and then sit my ass down on a cold toilet seat to pee at 3 a m when I can  light a cig and willy walk.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

You pee in the yard?

Duh

I would piss in yours, but then I would risk the chance of getting shot.

Online roamer_1