Author Topic: The GOP’s New Tax Bill Holds a Big Change for Churches  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: The GOP’s New Tax Bill Holds a Big Change for Churches
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2017, 05:52:26 am »
     He won Maine on March 5 and a week later Guam, your just a hater.

I forgot about those landslides. I change my mind now. How could I have been so wrong.

Offline corbe

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:22 am »
   @Frank Cannon

He barely limped through states at the end.

By then, in spite of Cruz's best, and most honorable intentions Trump's slim machine had won, Cruz had been beaten by an unusual campaign style~Trump, as had 16 other losers. I
   I can't speak for the NT'ers but Conservatives as a group were never for Jeb!, Rubio or the mailman's son, and that Convention thing, yea, that was broken by the very man under indictment by Mueller, Manafort and Reince should be an unindicted coconspirator in that CF! 
   Have no idea what this princess bride stuff is other than some movie years ago, was she naked?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 06:11:28 am »
   @Frank Cannon

By then, in spite of Cruz's best, and most honorable intentions Trump's slim machine had won, Cruz had been beaten by an unusual campaign style~Trump, as had 16 other losers. I
   I can't speak for the NT'ers but Conservatives as a group were never for Jeb!, Rubio or the mailman's son, and that Convention thing, yea, that was broken by the very man under indictment by Mueller, Manafort and Reince should be an unindicted coconspirator in that CF! 
   Have no idea what this princess bride stuff is other than some movie years ago, was she naked?

I think you would know if Cruz had quoted a line from a movie with a naked woman in it.  Don't you?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 06:17:47 am »
   By then, in spite of Cruz's best, and most honorable intentions Trump's slim machine had won,

And in what Pollyanna universe was politics ever an honorable event? The founding fathers called each other racial slurs, rapists and dirtbags. A guy was beaten to near death on the floor of the Senate. Presidents where siring bastard children.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 06:17:50 am »
Well obviously you have a very minority opinion on that which is good. I don't want any restrictions on church unless they are churning out terrorists. If you don't like Father Brown telling you to vote for some Alderman then leave or take over the church.

Quite honestly, who the hell are you to tell me that my church can't support someone who entertains me?

What denomination are you that make you so holy and pure as to cast these aspersions on my religion?

What visions has God gifted you with that makes you the arbiter over what is right and just for my church to discuss?

I did leave my church this last election.  More than one reason but I was a Cruz person and the church was full on Trump.  And the snobbery in politics was too much.  I left and I am sure that there will be much division in churches when they go on the campaign trail for corrupt politicians.  I can't be the only one.  I know I won't be. 

Well forgive me Frank for not acknowledging your faith.  I didn't realize that you had a church.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 06:20:17 am »
I did leave my church this last election.  More than one reason but I was a Cruz person and the church was full on Trump.  And the snobbery in politics was too much.  I left and I am sure that there will be much division in churches when they go on the campaign trail for corrupt politicians.  I can't be the only one.  I know I won't be. 

Well forgive me Frank for not acknowledging your faith.  I didn't realize that you had a church.

Frank's church is a little shrine he has set up that is comprised of pictures of himself.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 06:21:53 am »
Frank's church is a little shrine he has set up that is comprised of pictures of himself.

You are so full of shit. There isn't one picture of me......it's a mirrored wall.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 06:23:17 am »

Must be why I didn't know he had one.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 06:26:56 am »
Give me a break. I sent Ted money and liked what he had to say and I wasn't even excited about the dude. You're telling me you were excited over him? I'll bet it was just the ideas.

BTW, everyone in the NE hates Cruz. They did even before the made the crack about NYC. He doesn't translate here one iota.
I won't go into regional contempt for other regions, but suffice it to say, the northeast has earned its share. Especially during tourist season down South.

I heard Cruz speak in a few buttonhole interviews on Capitol Hill long before the election. That was a head-turner for me, someone who was not only saying the right things but who had apparently read most of the Constitution, too. He had no trouble refuting the pap the reporter was trying to push with loaded questions, either. As a Conservative, I found the prospect of having a Conservative POTUS exciting. But knowing the GOP's reputation for fumbles on the goal line, didn't get too hyped up.

He may not be the kind of guy you'd find hawking rasslin', but it's a different gig. If you want a POTUS to entertain, hell, we just had one. It was a >bleep< horrorshow, but it was definitely never a dull moment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:19 am »
And in what Pollyanna universe was politics ever an honorable event? The founding fathers called each other racial slurs, rapists and dirtbags. A guy was beaten to near death on the floor of the Senate. Presidents where siring bastard children.

@Frank Cannon

I don't remember GWB accusing McCain in 2000 of all the stupid shit that Trump did to his closest rivals in 2016, as far as 2008 and 2012, to pathetic to talk about.

Winning by any means is the NEW way, adapt or die, it sucks, and I obviously struggle with this new reality.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 06:38:33 am »
@Frank Cannon

I don't remember GWB accusing McCain in 2000 of all the stupid shit that Trump did to his closest rivals in 2016, as far as 2008 and 2012, to pathetic to talk about.

Winning by any means is the NEW way, adapt or die, it sucks, and I obviously struggle with this new reality.

Primaries that the voting public has a say in are relativity new. Back when the conventions chose a candidate there was ten times worse than what we see in today's primaries election. For Christs sakes. History began before Reagan and it was a lot uglier and brutal. Pick up a GD history book.

Offline corbe

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2017, 06:50:55 am »
   I consider myself a pretty good student of history Frank I am well aware of the rambunctious President elections of the past AND the fights with and using the Press.
   I was under the impression that the Grand Old Party had it pretty much figured out since Eisenhower till that Nixon resignation, but got back on track with Reagan.
   Trump blew the whole damn thing up with his populism, and it WORKED.
   I do want his Administration to succeed but US History is filled with his type that didn't win, Waylon Jennings Bryant comes quickly to mind.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2017, 06:56:00 am »
   I consider myself a pretty good student of history Frank I am well aware of the rambunctious President elections of the past AND the fights with and using the Press.
   I was under the impression that the Grand Old Party had it pretty much figured out since Eisenhower till that Nixon resignation, but got back on track with Reagan.
   Trump blew the whole damn thing up with his populism, and it WORKED.
   I do want his Administration to succeed but US History is filled with his type that didn't win, Waylon Jennings Bryant comes quickly to mind.

And history is full of dignified men who did win and then set things in motion for our ruin. GHW Bush signed the law that let that shitbag drive over people in NYC this week. Boy isn't he such a pip.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2017, 07:03:06 am »
And history is full of dignified men who did win and then set things in motion for our ruin. GHW Bush signed the law that let that shitbag drive over people in NYC this week. Boy isn't he such a pip.

Listen, we have some damn good examples of men (not just Reagan), who behaved like gentlemen and did the right thing.  Behaving like a gentleman doesn't mean you have to take shit from people, it means responding in an appropriate way; you may have trouble understanding this concept @Frank Cannon .  There are also some horrible examples, as you pointed out, of men who behaved decently and did not do the right thing. 

And that's all I'm going to say about that because it's late, and wtf am I up this late discussing this nonsense?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:03:51 am by RoosGirl »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2017, 07:24:01 am »
I still can't figure out why Evangelicals pushed a butt grabbing Trump over Cruz.  All this is going to do is divide Christians over politics.

I don't think they did - Don't forget the miserable turnout. 80% of 26% is no where near what Christians are capable of. Many, many stayed away.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2017, 07:53:13 am »
Near the end of the bill is a rollback of the Johnson Amendment, which prevents churches from endorsing political candidates.

Good. Only a RINO hack at Red State would want the Feds nose in the tents of churches to make sure they are preaching what they want them to. It isn't anybodies business if preachers push candidates, kool aid or cigarettes.

Not sure the part about Red State, but actually agree with the rest of your statement. Government has NO business poking in what is said at the alter. Just common sense and the First.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....