Author Topic: “It’s okay to be white” signs stir controversy on campus, around country  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Suppressed

“It’s okay to be white” signs stir controversy on campus, around country
Adrienne Underwood, Canela Lopez, and Lily Milwit • November 2, 2017
https://tulanehullabaloo.com/32450/news/its-okay-to-be-white-signs-stir-controversy-on-campus-around-country/

Signs were found posted on Tulane's campus Wednesday morning, as well as in Boston, Alberta, and Rocky River.

Editor’s Note: The Hullabaloo editorial staff acknowledges that running this article on the front page of our paper and online in some ways plays into what the posters of the signs initially wanted: inciting outrage, prompting condemnation and dividing our community. Nonetheless, we felt that ignoring the events that transpired on campus Wednesday morning would be to ignore the voices of students who felt (and who feel) unheard. Through what we believe to be truthful and accurate reporting, we hope to amplify those voices.

Sophomore Zahra Saifudeen woke up early the morning after Halloween to get breakfast before her exam. As she approached the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life, she spotted something that stood out among the various homecoming windows and student organization signs. It was a collection of flyers that read, in large capital letters, “It’s okay to be white.”

Saifudeen, who is also the treasurer of Finding Intersectionality Together, said the signs furthered sentiments she already had as a student of color at Tulane.

“I, if it was even possible, felt more isolated than I have already,” Saifudeen said.

Students reported seeing signs on the homecoming windows of multicultural organizations, bulletin spaces, residence halls and academic buildings. Several signs were subsequently removed by students, Tulane University Police Department officers and LBC employees.

“Upon notification, [the signs] were immediately taken down, as they violated our signage policies for the LBC,” LBC Director Heather Seaman said. “This is our standard practice for any signs that are posted on the building without approval.”

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bolobaby

Ah yes. A statement that is TRULY outrageous.

Seriously? The reaction should be, "Yep. It is. And...?"
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm sorry, but this is funny as hell. Really outs the Kill Whitey crowd. Every day they sound more and more like the Nazis sounded towards the Jews.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

I think it's an advertisement for paper.

Offline bolobaby

Not only is it OK, but if you wash with Dove, you can actually BECOME white!

(Just be careful about overuse as it is possible to wash yourself into a hispanic.)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Suppressed

I'm sorry, but this is funny as hell. Really outs the Kill Whitey crowd. Every day they sound more and more like the Nazis sounded towards the Jews.

I had lunch with a millennial yesterday (his single-mom has asked me to give him some mentoring), so I asked him about this.  He went on and on about how awful it was, and I honestly couldn't explain to you his position if I tried.  It was a very abstract thing about how we shouldn't view people in categories, but yet he totally ignored the way this is a reaction to the divison The Left is pushing.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

“I, if it was even possible, felt more isolated than I have already,” Saifudeen said.
The rest of the world, if you never noticed, isn't responsible for your feeeeelings.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

I think it's an advertisement for paper.
@RoosGirl

Soo, I'm all white except for that Indian woman, so can I say I'm not white so I can be accepted by non-whites?  I anxiously await your and everyone's answer as I feel right now i don't belong anywhere.   8888crybaby

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl

Soo, I'm all white except for that Indian woman, so can I say I'm not white so I can be accepted by non-whites?  I anxiously await your and everyone's answer as I feel right now i don't belong anywhere.   8888crybaby

Just be like me, I'm anti-social and don't care whether people like and accept me.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Not only is it OK, but if you wash with Dove, you can actually BECOME white!

Just be careful about overuse as it is possible to wash yourself into a hispanic.)

Well first off, the girl is red haired so likely Irish, so she isn't white.  :whistle:

Second, the Asians, Middle Easterners, and Native Americans really got screwed on this one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

Well first off, the girl is red haired so likely Irish, so she isn't white.  :whistle:
Yes, "angelic" would be a better word.

Second, the Asians, Middle Easterners, and Native Americans really got screwed on this one.

Yeah, the edited .GIF does a disservice to the original.
+++++++++

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@RoosGirl

You're online. You can self-identify as an aircraft carrier if you want to. Who can argue?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis