Author Topic: How 'Cool Roofs' Can Pull the Plug on Water Shortages  (Read 663 times)

rangerrebew

How 'Cool Roofs' Can Pull the Plug on Water Shortages
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:13:39 pm »
How 'Cool Roofs' Can Pull the Plug on Water Shortages
In drought-prone areas, reflective roofs can cut water consumption dramatically.
by Daisy Yuhas / Oct.25.2017 / 4:25 PM ET

As the world’s climate warms, droughts are increasingly common — and severe. Without water, crops wither, wells dry out, and people are saddled with strict water-saving measures. In California’s recent drought, more than 5,000 people lost running water, while others were prohibited from washing their cars or watering their lawns.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/how-cool-roofs-can-pull-plug-water-shortages-ncna814296

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: How 'Cool Roofs' Can Pull the Plug on Water Shortages
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 01:18:14 pm »
Looks like more global warming propaganda. Warmer air can hold more moisture, so the likely scenario if the planet is truly warming (and it is not), is increased rainfall, not drought. I just love "science" that ignores basic principles when they are inconvenient.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
Looks like more global warming propaganda. Warmer air can hold more moisture, so the likely scenario if the planet is truly warming (and it is not), is increased rainfall, not drought. I just love "science" that ignores basic principles when they are inconvenient.

However, @Joe Wooten, you are also ignoring science, though the principles might not be basic.  And that's one of the problem with climate science -- there are a lot of complexities that laymen ignore or don't consider.

For example, this statement is a huge oversimplification:

Warmer air can hold more moisture, so the likely scenario if the planet is truly warming (and it is not), is increased rainfall, not drought.

Climate scientists realize that warming will cause increased precipitation some places, while simultaneously reducing it in others.  And many skeptics think they are so clever catching a "contradiction".

Let's give some examples.  In much of the polar regions, it's plenty cold...but there's insufficient moisture in the air to reach the higher latitudes before dropping out.  SO, a warming will move those precipitation bands closer to the poles...which will increase snowfall in the accumulation zone, which will cause more ice buildup, which leads to more ice flow and greater (!) ice extent in some cases.  However, there are dozens of other factors in play, too.  For example, note that as that band is moved toward the poles, the total area of the "snow band" is reduced because of the smaller circumference at higher latitudes.

On the other hand, in some areas, warming will change areas of precipitation into conditions of lower precipitation.

These are not contradictions.  These are elements of the fact that we have very complex interacting systems on this wonderful earth.  In addition, patterns of human habitation put values on the changes that might occur.  Increasing rainfall in an area might be a boom, whilst it might be a bane in another.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »
The big problem with all the global warming propaganda is that it CANNOT be predicted with any degree of certainty. All of the computer models built so far are based on the same group of 6 partial differential equations that are used to predict the next week's weather. The standard uncertainty of these weather prediction programs is about 5% for a 5 day period if you observe the proper constraints, and it doubles for every 5 days you project it further. By the tie you project current trends out a month, the uncertainty is 100%.

That being said, if the planet is truly warming, it will IN GENERAL be wetter everywhere, as warm air can hold much more moisture. There was an article I read several years ago that looked at the position and inclination of the earth when the Sahara desert was a green grassland savanna back 10000 to 15000 years ago. The solar energy hitting it was much higher than it is today which caused the weather patterns to bring more warm moisture laden air into northern Africa. The precession of the planet changed and the weather patterns changed with the decreasing energy hitting the area. Even as far back as Roman times, the northern area of Africa was a breadbasket and much wetter than it is today. From Roman records, the fertile wetter areas extended much further inland from the coast than they do today.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 02:29:42 pm »
I thought when I pulled up this article it would be about using a roof to catch moisture from the roof via guttering system to a cistern.  My brother in Australia uses one to do so and it supplies his needs.

Not an economic extravagance and has been used for a long time.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 11:39:49 pm »
I thought when I pulled up this article it would be about using a roof to catch moisture from the roof via guttering system to a cistern.  My brother in Australia uses one to do so and it supplies his needs.

Not an economic extravagance and has been used for a long time.

An old house near where my maternal grandparents lived in had an cistern connected to the gutters. That cistern was a concrete cube about 5X5X5 ft. I believe it was built in the early 1900's when the county was first being settled.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:55:37 am »
An old house near where my maternal grandparents lived in had an cistern connected to the gutters. That cistern was a concrete cube about 5X5X5 ft. I believe it was built in the early 1900's when the county was first being settled.
My brother uses it to not only get water for his yard, but is his fire protection in case of the wildfires which come through his area.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington