Author Topic: Decades Ago: B-52 Had a Tail Gun  (Read 284 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Decades Ago: B-52 Had a Tail Gun
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:00:34 am »
Harold C. Hutchison -

The B-52 has been serving in America’s nuclear deterrent arsenal since 1952. But a lot has changed on the BUFF and its mission since it was on the front line against the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

The strategic bomber has gone from being designed to deliver huge nuclear bombs on Russia to dropping precision-guided conventional bombs on al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. Today, it is far more likely to deliver its nukes using air-launched cruise missiles than a gravity bomb.

But little did most people know that part of its post-World War II heritage equipped the lengthy bomber with tail guns.

https://scout.com/military/warrior/Article/Decades-Ago-B-52-Had-a-Tail-Gun-109818071
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Decades Ago: B-52 Had a Tail Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:15 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Tn5JwMEtA

B-52H Stratofortress: M61A1 Vulcan & AN/ASG-21 Fire Control System
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome