Author Topic: Is trick-or-treating passe?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline endicom

Is trick-or-treating passe?
« on: November 01, 2017, 01:27:14 am »
Didn't see a one today.

Offline Concerned

Re: Is trick-or-treating passe?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:48 am »
We had about the same this year as year's past (30-40).  My wife decorates the outside of the house to encourage kids to come:  Halloween decorations throughout the yard, a Jack-O-Lateran on the porch, a Ghoul hanging on the door.  Plus every kid gets 3-4 candies each.  Basically, there's plenty of reasons to stop by our place.  My wife really enjoys seeing the kiddies.  I simply try and stay out of the way.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:56:35 am »
   A couple of kids came by about 15 years ago, no one's heard from them since.  I live 6 blocks from town in a good neighborhood but kids don't come down my street for some odd reason besides the pouring rain, tonight. I did have some stale MilkBone biscuits my dog won't eat if perchance someone showed up.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 01:56:45 am »
I decorate too...give good treats...I bet a fourth of the houses on my street had their lights on...I know it it was a school night and cold but we had very few kiddos here tonight  8888crybaby I will save the left over treats for my grandsons...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 01:58:58 am »
I took my 5 year old in my mom's neighborhood.  My mom puts out a big spread for the kids out in the front drive way and has a cooler of Goombay Smash for the adults.  As I took the kiddo around, we hit about 10 houses and then he was ready to be done.  One house offered me jello shots.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 01:59:38 am »
Not passe here! Our road is torn up for a few hundred feet, and we still had trick or treaters of all ages who made the trek. In town, you have to move at a parade pace for all the little hobgoblins running around. People will go through 30 lbs or more of candy doling it out one piece at a time and still not have enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 02:05:04 am »
When I was a kid we took pillowcases....when they got too heavy came back home dumped it out and went out for more...we used to stay out late since the next day was a Hold Day of Obligation and no school...yipee!...but those good ol days are over and it is so sad.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 02:26:51 am »
It is on my street, which is mostly illegals now. Not many Anglos left, and most are old.

Seems like the Hispanics aren't really interested in what probably looks to them to be "a Gringo celebration".

For a number of years, I kept a record of how many kids came to the door on Halloween.
We went from a high of 88 in 1995 to 7 in 2004. After that, we didn't offer treats any more -- just wasn't worth it.

The drop in the numbers correlated with the illegal invasion here...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 02:27:40 am »
Didn't see a one today.

It's still a hot activity where we live. Then again my community is smart enough to do it on the Friday night before Halloween.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:29:41 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 02:38:26 am »
  @Fishrrman Hispanics traditionally celebrate the 'Day of the Dead' tomorrow and their tradition does not involve asking strangers for candy, though heavily costumed.

If some Mexican kid knocks on my door tomorrow night, I will stroke!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 02:39:59 am »
I don't anymore.  Little old for it I think.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 02:42:09 am »

If some Mexican kid knocks on my door tomorrow night, I will stroke!

If some Mexican kid in a costume knocks on my door tomorrow I call the cops. If I find out they're in the neighborhood I move.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 02:46:13 am »
I don't anymore.  Little old for it I think.

Come on, Bigun, you're never too old to go trick-or-treating!

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 02:49:42 am »
It's still a hot activity where we live. Then again my community is smart enough to do it on the Friday night before Halloween.

When I moved here the local tradition was the night before Halloween. That didn't last as the old people died off and others moved elsewhere.

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 02:50:26 am »
If some Mexican kid in a costume knocks on my door tomorrow I call the cops. If I find out they're in the neighborhood I move.

It might be cheaper to just build a wall, Frank.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 02:52:44 am »
  It might be cheaper to just build a wall, Frank.

I have a wall, but I got lazy. It's only 2 1/2 feet tall. It just high enough to be a pain in the ass stumbling over it when I walk home drunk from the neighbors.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53:49 am »
I have a wall, but I got lazy. It's only 2 1/2 feet tall. It just high enough to be a pain in the ass stumbling over it when I walk home drunk from the neighbors.

LOL  I can just see a pair of pointy boots sticking up over the top.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 02:56:40 am »
LOL  I can just see a pair of pointy boots sticking up over the top.

It's not a problem anymore. I started driving back and forth.....especially if I am drunk. Driving into the mailbox doesn't hurt as much as tripping over the shitty wall.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 02:57:41 am »
It's not a problem anymore. I started driving back and forth.....especially if I am drunk. Driving into the mailbox doesn't hurt as much as tripping over the shitty wall.

Not until you have to go out the next day and fix the mess while you're hung over.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 02:59:39 am »
Not until you have to go out the next day and fix the mess while you're hung over.

There are people to take care of that. Usually there are Mexicans down by the Home Depot that work cheap.

Offline corbe

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 02:59:57 am »
    Is your neighbor hot or got GOOD stock, I'm asking for a friend.
    I look out my window to make sure my neighbors aren't out before I dash to my car, they're assholes, they voted for hellary and blame me for everything, similar to what I get here, I may have to re think this whole thing, it might be me after all?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 03:02:52 am »
    I look out my window to make sure my neighbors aren't out before I dash to my car, they're assholes, they voted for hellary and blame me for everything, similar to what I get here, I may have to re think this whole thing, it might be me after all?

I have two neighbors.  They're both at least 20 years older than me.  I am the hot neighbor, and that's not saying much.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 03:06:08 am »

I live in an extremely right wing area. GOP voting returns in the 85%+ consistently. Rats voting are openly laughed at during Primaries where you have to use the voting booth assigned to party. It's very funny.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 03:15:31 am »
The first batch of trick or treaters who showed up at my door were two elementary school aged kiddos that gave me the ole classic "Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet Give Me Something "Nice" to eat ... I remember it as Good.  The next group had a two or three year old little boy, dressed as a pumpkin, he was so excited that he started running; obviously the costume was a bit heavy in the middle for him and he did a face plant right before my front door.  He was fine once I loaded his little Halloween goodie bag with candy.  Then, I had two middle-school aged girls come to the door, both with flannel shirts; sleeves stuffed with straw, hair in pigtails and jeans.  I said .. "oh, Dorothy from the 'Wizard of Oz'", and they replied curtly; no we're scarecrows! Ooopsie....  All in all we had about 30 kids ... oh, I forgot to mention the smart azz teenagers who wished me a "Merry Christmas".  Kids ... ya gotta love 'em!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 03:15:44 am »
   That is cruel Frank no wonder yall are 85% +   
   We do it differently here in Texas to keep the ridicules' to a tolerable level but many Hispanics in my County vote GOP, solid, anyway, many Veterans here.