Author Topic: Federal Judge Blocks Trump's Directive on Transgender Troops  (Read 5370 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Federal Judge Blocks Trump's Directive on Transgender Troops
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 09:03:33 pm »
The ruling does not compel the military to pay for gender reassignment surgery. 

This is more or less SOP for a lower court addressing a case where the change will impact those currently serving, thereby jeopardizing their careers.  It keeps the status quo in place pending a decision on the merits.   While the judge presumably believes that the plaintiffs have a better than even chance of prevailing, the government's burden - to show that the change in policy is justified for military reasons - shouldn't be impossible to overcome.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/09/29/military-could-spend-up-84-million-annually-reassignment-treatments/91218672/

Offline Fantom

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »
Who in the hell is the Comander in Chief, a duly elected President or an unelected judge?

This one Trump needs to ignore as he will win on appeal.

:amen:  President Trump needs to publicly come out and state that He ..as President, is the Constitutional Commander in Chief. That the only powers capable of countermanding his order are SCOTUS and Congress in joint action.  Low level judges have no say.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 09:21:36 pm »
The ruling does not compel the military to pay for gender reassignment surgery. 

This is more or less SOP for a lower court addressing a case where the change will impact those currently serving, thereby jeopardizing their careers.  It keeps the status quo in place pending a decision on the merits.   While the judge presumably believes that the plaintiffs have a better than even chance of prevailing, the government's burden - to show that the change in policy is justified for military reasons - shouldn't be impossible to overcome.

The only equal branches of government to the President  are SCOTUS and Congress. It takes both to overrule the other.

As far as the military... the command structure is clear. President Trump should ignore this unConstitutional invasion of a lower court gadfly. Let SCOTUS/Congress correct him if they desire... that is the only  Constitutional way.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 09:45:28 pm »
The only equal branches of government to the President  are SCOTUS and Congress. It takes both to overrule the other.

As far as the military... the command structure is clear. President Trump should ignore this unConstitutional invasion of a lower court gadfly. Let SCOTUS/Congress correct him if they desire... that is the only  Constitutional way.
Contrary to what you might believe, the branches are NOT equal.  Were never designed to be and will never be.

They instead are independent and co-dependent, with some checks and balances on each other.

By design, the Congress is the most superior to all others as it is the representative of the people and states and can discharge any from the other branches.  Executive is next with the military control and the bureaucracy.

Judicial is a far third, deservedly so.  And I agree, Trump should simply ignore the intrusion that some unelected judge's decision that he knows how to defend this country better than its commander in chief.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fantom

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 10:09:59 pm »
Contrary to what you might believe, the branches are NOT equal.  Were never designed to be and will never be.

They instead are independent and co-dependent, with some checks and balances on each other.

By design, the Congress is the most superior to all others as it is the representative of the people and states and can discharge any from the other branches.  Executive is next with the military control and the bureaucracy.

Judicial is a far third, deservedly so.  And I agree, Trump should simply ignore the intrusion that some unelected judge's decision that he knows how to defend this country better than its commander in chief.

By co-equal, I am speaking of the very same checks and balances you speak of. Yes, Congress is the preeminent power, the Executive is next.. He who rules the roost so's to speak. The Judicial really has no power... unless the Executive ..executes it.

But things do change a bit. The States have no power in Congress since the 17th. So we have to look at the terrain we are currently deployed in.

We have devolved into a black robed oligarchy. Where pissant judges can decide the very foundations on which we live. This is not a good thing.

What is the answer... not one I am willing to say on a public forum.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:15 pm »
   This is rich.

Roy Moore: Impeach judge blocking transgender military ban

By Olivia Beavers - 10/31/17 11:02 AM EDT

Alabama Republican Senate nominee Roy Moore is calling for the impeachment of the federal judge who partially blocked President Trump's ban on transgender people serving in the military.

“The decision of a federal judge in the District of Columbia enjoining President Trump’s executive order on transgenderism in the military is absolutely ridiculous and is a perfect example of the outlandish doctrine of judicial supremacy whereby judges exalt themselves over the Constitution they are sworn to uphold," Moore, a former state Supreme Court chief justice, said in a statement on Monday.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/357985-roy-moore-impeach-judge-blocking-transgender-military-ban

Roy Moore spot on.  Chance to see him in action.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 12:11:48 am »
The court has zero jurisdiction over the military.

That is what I was thinking.  I think of transgender people and I think of confused people.  So confused they can't even figure out who they are.  That puts our military men and women in danger.  If you are so confused how are you going to make split second decisions in a war?  Also makes our military look like a joke.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:06 am »
By co-equal, I am speaking of the very same checks and balances you speak of. Yes, Congress is the preeminent power, the Executive is next.. He who rules the roost so's to speak. The Judicial really has no power... unless the Executive ..executes it.

But things do change a bit. The States have no power in Congress since the 17th. So we have to look at the terrain we are currently deployed in.

We have devolved into a black robed oligarchy. Where pissant judges can decide the very foundations on which we live. This is not a good thing.

What is the answer... not one I am willing to say on a public forum.
all Trump has to do is to disregard the ruling of a judge who has no authority to direct him.

Like a California judge ruling this Texas guy is speeding in North Carolina.  It means nothing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 12:16:49 am »
Why were these strange, confused people ever allowed in the military ... and why would they even want to be in the military?

I'm with Moore on this but exactly how do we get rid of crazy, overreaching judges?  It's probably not easy.
The judge is ruling outside their jurisdiction and the chain of command. Troops are covered under the UCMJ, a different justice system from the Constitution. The judge is not in the chain of command and cannot overrule the CinC.

I'm with Moore, too. This is egregious judicial overreach. The Military cannot function if civilian judges can pop in and rule on things or issue capricious injunctions. You cannot fight a war that way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 12:22:42 am »
all Trump has to do is to disregard the ruling of a judge who has no authority to direct him.

Like a California judge ruling this Texas guy is speeding in North Carolina.  It means nothing.

Yep.  Hope he does.

One could even apply... 'Sanctuary State/City" conceptualization to it.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 12:24:34 am »
The judge is ruling outside their jurisdiction and the chain of command. Troops are covered under the UCMJ, a different justice system from the Constitution. The judge is not in the chain of command and cannot overrule the CinC.

I'm with Moore, too. This is egregious judicial overreach. The Military cannot function if civilian judges can pop in and rule on things or issue capricious injunctions. You cannot fight a war that way.

Trump should put the National Guard on that judges doorstep.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Concerned

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 12:31:25 am »
For all who claim that this court doesn't have jurisdiction over this case, does anyone know if the Government made that argument in court?  The below article was linked in the link in the OP and it notes several arguments made by the Government (including questioning the standing of the plaintiffs -- that was rejected by the court), but doesn't identify the jurisdiction of the court itself as an argument made.  I'm not an attorney, but it seems like if the court so obviously doesn't have jurisdiction over this case, the Government would at least argue that so they could appeal the case based on that argument.

https://apnews.com/31fe75346ad147ba9db0396d62aa741d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:32:35 am by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:47 am »
For all who claim that this court doesn't have jurisdiction over this case, does anyone know if the Government made that argument in court?  The below article was linked in the link in the OP and it notes several arguments made by the Government (including questioning the standing of the plaintiffs -- that was rejected by the court), but doesn't identify the jurisdiction of the court itself as an argument made.  I'm not an attorney, but it seems like if the court so obviously doesn't have jurisdiction over this case, the Government would at least argue that so they could appeal the case based on that argument.

https://apnews.com/31fe75346ad147ba9db0396d62aa741d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP
Are you trying to argue that a judge should not be the one to recognize he is ruling outside his authority?

Offline Concerned

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 12:44:50 am »
Are you trying to argue that a judge should not be the one to recognize he is ruling outside his authority?

No.  I'm not trying to argue anything.  I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.  I simply asked if anyone knew whether the Government argued that this court didn't have jurisdiction over this case.  It seems to this layman that arguing this in the original case would strengthen their argument during appeal, but again, I'm no attorney.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 12:52:49 am »

IIRC, it was repeatedly ruled no citizen had standing in cases which questioned the provenance of the last occupant at 1600 PA Ave. I am beginning to think the courts populated by a significant proportion of jesters, not judges.

PS, thanks for the clarification, our posts crossed in the aether.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:53:50 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2017, 01:13:20 am »
What part of the Constitution, pertains to the military, and to transgender rights (or any other special rights in the military)?

In this, won't it be taken to the next higher court for appeal?

And at some level of court consideration, wouldn't it be right to consider the mission of our military, above social agendas?

And to consider if transgender is mental illness? And whether our military is a social agenda experiment?

And to consider if it is wise to allow the military to house an employ people that are 41% likely to attempt suicide?

This ain't that hard to figure out.

"Okay platoon, this is where we cross"...

"Bobby Sue, you take point"

"Okaaayyy...Sally Joe...you're next..."

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:24:13 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline corbe

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 01:16:05 am »
   Where the hell you been @bigheadfred I didn't see you in Timeout last week?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 02:58:58 am »
Weird wrote:
"Impeaching would do nothing takes two thirds of senate to convict"

Impeach the judge anyway.
It only takes a majority of the House to impeach, and the Pubbies have that majority.
FORCE the judge to stand trial in the Senate, even if there is no conviction.

That in itself should "send a message" to that judge, and to others.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 03:06:28 am »
Weird wrote:

It only takes a majority of the House to impeach, and the Pubbies have that majority.

Abso f'n loutely!  Do YOUR damed job and don't worry about what might happen later on!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2017, 04:31:30 am »
Weird wrote:

It's half past midnight and I Should get some sleep. Now you got me all excited and worked up, just envisioning this Star Chamber Robe standing tall before Congress and repeatedly taking the 5th to every question they ask him.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:21 am »
Hizzoner's a her.
U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued her ruling Monday.
Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleen_Kollar-Kotelly
They're pretty good with the 5th, too.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:17:54 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2017, 12:08:18 pm »

The courts are "weaker" only in the sense that they rely on the executive for the police power needed to enforce their decisions.    But defiance of the rule of law by the President of the United States is a dangerous thing - it's a fascist kinda thing - and Trump would be nuts to take your advice over something as stupid and trivial as this.   

There is nothing unusual with a lower court blocking enforcement of a rule change that will destroy careers pending a decision on the merits.   If the rule is later deemed illegal,  what effective remedy will there be for good folks arbitrarily turned out of their jobs?   

The military can apparently live with a handful of transgenders in its service,  so what's the harm in keeping the status quo pending the outcome of legal challenges?    This is, of course, a signature issue for social conservatives who enjoy these petty little battles.   I could care less about transgenders.  I've never encountered one in my life, and they represent no potential harm to me or my family.    So my attitude is live and let live.  I have no maniacal compulsion to persecute them as some social conservative do,  and have no objection to letting the legal process unfold while protecting the rights of those who are serving honorably.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2017, 12:19:21 pm »
The courts are "weaker" only in the sense that they rely on the executive for the police power needed to enforce their decisions.    But defiance of the rule of law by the President of the United States is a dangerous thing - it's a fascist kinda thing - and Trump would be nuts to take your advice over something as stupid and trivial as this.   

There is nothing unusual with a lower court blocking enforcement of a rule change that will destroy careers pending a decision on the merits.   If the rule is later deemed illegal,  what effective remedy will there be for good folks arbitrarily turned out of their jobs?   

The military can apparently live with a handful of transgenders in its service,  so what's the harm in keeping the status quo pending the outcome of legal challenges?    This is, of course, a signature issue for social conservatives who enjoy these petty little battles.   I could care less about transgenders.  I've never encountered one in my life, and they represent no potential harm to me or my family.    So my attitude is live and let live.  I have no maniacal compulsion to persecute them as some social conservative do,  and have no objection to letting the legal process unfold while protecting the rights of those who are serving honorably.   
Just curious, but when/where and what branch did you serve in?

I didn't and am content to let this be resolved within the Military Chain of Command.

Trump is Commander in Chief. The Judge is not in that chain of command. Our military isn't a social club, and even operates under a separate judicial system under the UNMJ, not the same laws the rest of us live under. Within that context the judge has no authority and is ruling outside her effective jurisdiction.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »
Trump is Commander in Chief. The Judge is not in that chain of command. Our military isn't a social club, and even operates under a separate judicial system under the UNMJ, not the same laws the rest of us live under.

What military rules have these folks broken?    They volunteered to serve, and as far as I know are serving honorably.   The military itself  -  under direction,  I assume, from its then-Commander in Chief - permitted transgenders to come forward and serve as such openly.   Now the rule is proposed to be changed, in a way that would destroy the careers of those who followed the prior rule.   And a court now has stayed the new rule pending adjudication on the merits, in order to preserve, at least for the time being, those careers.

But you still insist on persecuting these folks when they've done absolutely nothing dishonorable or inconsistent with the rules under which they have served?   This purging of transgenders wasn't recommended by military leaders,  it has been ordered by a civilian President - a chickenhawk, no less (since you raise the issue of my own military service) -  kowtowing to a political base of intolerant social conservatives.

I  profess no opinion on the merits of the rule change.  Perhaps there are sound military reasons for banning transgenders as a class from service,  and perhaps the rule should be that civilian courts should generally defer to the considered judgments of military commanders.   But military commanders didn't order or recommend this change - and it is well within the authority of this court to stay the order pending a final decision whether the rule represents military necessity or pandering to a bigoted political base.     
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:44:13 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
What military rules have these folks broken?    They volunteered to serve, and as far as I know are serving honorably.   The military itself  -  under direction,  I assume, from its then-Commander in Chief - permitted transgenders to come forward and serve as such openly.   Now the rule is proposed to be changed, in a way that would destroy the careers of those who followed the prior rule.   And a court now has stayed the new rule pending adjudication on the merits, in order to preserve, at least for the time being, those careers.

But you still insist on persecuting these folks when they've done absolutely nothing dishonorable or inconsistent with the rules under which they have served?   This purging of transgenders wasn't recommended by military leaders,  it has been ordered by a civilian President - a chickenhawk, no less (since you raise the issue of my own military service) -  kowtowing to a political base of intolerant social conservatives.

I  profess no opinion on the merits of the rule change.  Perhaps there are sound military reasons for banning transgenders as a class from service,  and perhaps the rule should be that civilian courts should generally defer to the considered judgments of military commanders.   But military commanders didn't order or recommend this change - and it is well within the authority of this court to stay the order pending a final decision whether the rule represents military necessity or pandering to a bigoted political base.   
No, I think the military would be better spending its budget on body armour, ammunition, and weapons than rearranging the genetically determined original equipment of the troops. Rules and requirements change. When the rules changes compromise the mission, the rules should be changed or changed back.

I question the wisdom of having our national security in any way dependent on people who have issues so fundamental as thinking they can change their gender with surgical intervention anyway, and the mission of the Armed Forces is not to absorb the costs to provide people with such reassignment. There are enough people out there who have no such issues who can carry the load. Those surgical resources and skills would be better utilized caring for those who have served and been injured in the line of duty.

C S Lewis