Author Topic: You Don't Want To Get in the Way of a 100,000-Ton Aircraft Carrier's Anchor  (Read 482 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

By Kyle Mizokami

The USS Gerald R. Ford is America's newest aircraft carrier. The 1,092-foot ship has a crew of 5,500 and carries more than 75 aircraft at a time. It weighs roughly 100,000 tons. All of that adds up to a ship that needs a truly massive anchor and chain to hold steady, and this video proves it.The anchor and chain system aboard the USS Ford is very, very heavy. The anchor itself weighs 30,000 pounds. The chain is 1,440 feet long and each link weighs 136 pounds. Believe it or not, this combination is actually lighter than those fitted to the heavier Nimitz-class carriers.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a28701/uss-ford-anchor-test-video/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W52Cx55aLk

Sailors Anchoring A 100,000-Ton Supercarrier: USS Gerald R. Ford Precision Anchoring Exercise
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline stephen50right

By Kyle Mizokami

The USS Gerald R. Ford is America's newest aircraft carrier. The 1,092-foot ship has a crew of 5,500 and carries more than 75 aircraft at a time. It weighs roughly 100,000 tons. All of that adds up to a ship that needs a truly massive anchor and chain to hold steady, and this video proves it.The anchor and chain system aboard the USS Ford is very, very heavy. The anchor itself weighs 30,000 pounds. The chain is 1,440 feet long and each link weighs 136 pounds. Believe it or not, this combination is actually lighter than those fitted to the heavier Nimitz-class carriers.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a28701/uss-ford-anchor-test-video/

Yes, if I was a crab at the bottom of the ocean, and saw that anchor coming down, I'd certainly skedaddle out of the way as quickly as possible.  :laugh: