Author Topic: Jerry Falwell Jr. Encourages Evangelicals to Call Out ‘Fake Republicans’  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Jerry Falwell Jr. Encourages Evangelicals to Call Out ‘Fake Republicans’

Veronica Neffinger | Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com  | Thursday, October 26, 2017

Jerry Falwell Jr., the chancellor of Liberty University and well-known Trump supporter, has said that evangelicals should push back against so-called “fake Republicans.”

According to ChristianToday.com, Falwell made the comments in an interview with Breitbart, the right-wing news website headed once again by Steve Bannon, after Bannon left his short-lived position as President Trump’s adviser.

“I've coined the term ‘Fake Republicans,’” Falwell said in the interview. “There are four or five ‘Fake Republicans’ in the Senate and many in the House. If they can be replaced in 2018 – the political class needs to go. If the people can go out and find candidates like Donald Trump who have been successful in the private sector and go out and primary those people…”

https://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/jerry-falwell-jr-encourages-evangelicals-to-call-out-fake-republicans.html

?????

And it gets worse for Jerry Fallwell Jr.

Jerry Falwell Jr. to Evangelicals: Don't Vote Based Upon Faith, Back Steve Bannon's Effort Instead

"I love it," Falwell said of Bannon's war against the establishment in the Senate.

"I knew when [Bannon] left the administration, he was doing it for a reason," Falwell was quoted as saying. "A good reason. And now we all know what it was. He sees that for Trump to be successful, those guys got to go. I'm so proud of him for going after them and leading the effort and Laura Ingraham is out there helping the effort too."

Evangelicals shouldn't support candidates because they share their faith, Falwell added.

"Don't look at a candidate on whether he has the same religious background as you do. Don't look at whether he or she fit to be the pastor of your church. Look at who's going to vote right on the issues. Look at who's actually succeeded in real life outside of the political world. That's who they need to vote for. It may not be the most conservative candidate

https://www.christianpost.com/news/jerry-falwell-jr-evangelicals-dont-vote-faith-back-steve-bannon-204441/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:51:21 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Silver Pines

Jerry needs to give up his desperate chase for fame and tend to his university and his students.

From what I hear and what I see posted on alumni forums, he's a jerk no one can stand, and that's one of the reasons. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Jerry needs to give up his desperate chase for fame and tend to his university and his students.

From what I hear and what I see posted on alumni forums, he's a jerk no one can stand, and that's one of the reasons.

Its what has bothered me from the start about Trump and his Evangelical base.  It makes me think of the money changers in the temple.  I don't want the church to become extended government.  The house of God is made for Godly instruction.  Not political rallies.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

Falwell is following in Trump's infighting footsteps.

Offline stephen50right

Its what has bothered me from the start about Trump and his Evangelical base.  It makes me think of the money changers in the temple.  I don't want the church to become extended government.  The house of God is made for Godly instruction.  Not political rallies.

Well then you can join a non-political "House of God" that suits your taste. Allow others to join a church or synagogue that suits their taste. If that includes political discussion along with religious guidance, i see nothing at all wrong with that.

Churches and synagogues do many things outside the religious spectrum....why not politics as well?

Pastors and rabbis are great people and their political viewpoints I think would add substance to not only the political landscape, but would attract more folks to their particular House of God as well.

Silver Pines

Well then you can join a non-political "House of God" that suits your taste. Allow others to join a church or synagogue that suits their taste. If that includes political discussion along with religious guidance, i see nothing at all wrong with that.

Churches and synagogues do many things outside the religious spectrum....why not politics as well?

Pastors and rabbis are great people and their political viewpoints I think would add substance to not only the political landscape, but would attract more folks to their particular House of God as well.

@stephen50right

Saying that pastors and rabbis are great people is painting with a very broad brush.

My in-laws know Jerry.  He's been trying to scrounge a name for himself for a long time.  His attempts to attach himself to Trump elevated it to an embarrassing level---a view shared by most of his university colleagues and many of his students.

But if his students complain to him on Twitter, he just blocks them.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Well I've been following Reverend Falwell's advice since many years before he gave it!

Fully intend to continue on that course as well!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

I'd add that, while political discussion should always be allowed in churches/synagogues (goes without saying), it should never be forgotten that they are not caucuses or conventions.  They're purposed to things that are more important than politics.

Offline kevindavis007

Do the names like Jimmy Swaggert, Oral Roberts, and the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker ring a bell???
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline stephen50right

@stephen50right

Saying that pastors and rabbis are great people is painting with a very broad brush.

My in-laws know Jerry.  He's been trying to scrounge a name for himself for a long time.  His attempts to attach himself to Trump elevated it to an embarrassing level---a view shared by most of his university colleagues and many of his students.

But if his students complain to him on Twitter, he just blocks them.

Regardless of your feelings about Jerry Falwell Jr, I think it's best to refer to pastors and rabbis as great people. These folks do their best to bring their religious messages to the people, which without question helps make for a better society overall.

I've always stated that regardless of whether or not someone is religious, the Bible has great words to live by. Even if there wasn't any religious connotation involved, the Bible offers tremendous wisdom which offers guidance on living a better life and solving problems.

Hey, I was never a Jerry Falwell fan, and I don't know much about his son. But let's tell it straight...our country is a better place with Liberty University than without it...and we are a better place with churches and synagogues than without them, and that point is not debatable.

Offline stephen50right

Do the names like Jimmy Swaggert, Oral Roberts, and the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker ring a bell???

They all did a lot of good before their scandals, although I don't recall any scandal from Oral Roberts.

In any event, I believe their good far outweighed their bad, and it wasn't even close.

I'm not going to defend their scandalous behavior, of course not, but becoming a pastor or rabbi is an exemplary choice, which our society should encourage.

Offline kevindavis007

They all did a lot of good before their scandals, although I don't recall any scandal from Oral Roberts.

In any event, I believe their good far outweighed their bad, and it wasn't even close.

I'm not going to defend their scandalous behavior, of course not, but becoming a pastor or rabbi is an exemplary choice, which our society should encourage.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/oral_roberts.htm
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline RoosGirl

I know of one in the White House.  Is that one okay to call out?

Silver Pines

Regardless of your feelings about Jerry Falwell Jr, I think it's best to refer to pastors and rabbis as great people. These folks do their best to bring their religious messages to the people, which without question helps make for a better society overall.

I've always stated that regardless of whether or not someone is religious, the Bible has great words to live by. Even if there wasn't any religious connotation involved, the Bible offers tremendous wisdom which offers guidance on living a better life and solving problems.

Hey, I was never a Jerry Falwell fan, and I don't know much about his son. But let's tell it straight...our country is a better place with Liberty University than without it...and we are a better place with churches and synagogues than without them, and that point is not debatable.

@stephen50right

Yes, we do need to get it straight, because you've mischaracterized my post and put a bunch of things in my mouth I didn't say.

My opinion of Falwell isn't based on "feelings."  It's based on the things he's done and the statements he's made and that others who know him well have made about him.

Do you think leftwing pastors who do things like deny the Trinity or that Christ is the way, or who advocate for a woman's right to "choose"are great people bringing a religious message and improving society?  I'm sure you don't.  We have to make that judgment on an individual basis.

Jerry Falwell the senior was a controversial man in some ways, but his students adored him and his colleagues at the university thought the world of him.  That isn't the case with Junior.

Where did I say anything negative about Liberty University?  Answer:  I didn't.  It's a good school and the students are generally great.  I was standing in line at Walmart, and there was a group of Liberty students behind me.  One of them broke out of her place in line to go and help an elderly woman get her bags to her car.  I was walking across the lot to my car, and the girl was heading back into the store, and I told her that was a really nice thing she did.  She smiled and said, "It wasn't me, it was Jesus." 

But if that girl were to go to Twitter and try to engage with the president of her university about some of the things he's said, chances are he would block her. 

Where did I imply that churches and synagogues don't make the world a better place?  Again, I didn't.  Why are you trying to attribute things to me I didn't come close to saying?

Offline Applewood

Seems to me that now the Republican Party is liberal,  the fake Republicans are the conservatives.

Offline stephen50right

@stephen50right

Yes, we do need to get it straight, because you've mischaracterized my post and put a bunch of things in my mouth I didn't say.

My opinion of Falwell isn't based on "feelings."  It's based on the things he's done and the statements he's made and that others who know him well have made about him.

Do you think leftwing pastors who do things like deny the Trinity or that Christ is the way, or who advocate for a woman's right to "choose"are great people bringing a religious message and improving society?  I'm sure you don't.  We have to make that judgment on an individual basis.

Jerry Falwell the senior was a controversial man in some ways, but his students adored him and his colleagues at the university thought the world of him.  That isn't the case with Junior.

Where did I say anything negative about Liberty University?  Answer:  I didn't.  It's a good school and the students are generally great.  I was standing in line at Walmart, and there was a group of Liberty students behind me.  One of them broke out of her place in line to go and help an elderly woman get her bags to her car.  I was walking across the lot to my car, and the girl was heading back into the store, and I told her that was a really nice thing she did.  She smiled and said, "It wasn't me, it was Jesus." 

But if that girl were to go to Twitter and try to engage with the president of her university about some of the things he's said, chances are he would block her. 

Where did I imply that churches and synagogues don't make the world a better place?  Again, I didn't.  Why are you trying to attribute things to me I didn't come close to saying?

My post basically attributed little to you. Jerry Falwell Jr, is the thread topic, and I clearly stated "I don't know much about his (Jerry Falwell's) son."

I simply expounded on my own thoughts, and the Judeo-Christian ethic in general which has been and always will be of inspirational benefit to our great country.

Perhaps your dislike of Donald Trump is clouding your judgment towards Jerry Falwell Jr - Now we're talking attributable. 😉

debrawiest

If, by good, you mean they fleeced little old ladies and widows out of their money so that they (the televangelists) could build their earthly empires, then I agree with you.

These are the same breed of charlatans and hucksters with whom President Trump surrounds himself. Seems like Jerry Jr wants to join that gang.

Offline stephen50right

If, by good, you mean they fleeced little old ladies and widows out of their money so that they (the televangelists) could build their earthly empires, then I agree with you.

These are the same breed of charlatans and hucksters with whom President Trump surrounds himself. Seems like Jerry Jr wants to join that gang.

Good post. You interpreted my thoughts exactly.  *****rollingeyes*****

debrawiest

Good post. You interpreted my thoughts exactly.  *****rollingeyes*****

I said IF that’s what you meant by good.  Feel free to correct me.  :-)

Offline stephen50right

I said IF that’s what you meant by good.  Feel free to correct me.  :-)

They started out good, they did a lot of good, as they brought in many new followers. But then fame and money corrupted them...but you knew all that already.

debrawiest

They started out good, they did a lot of good, as they brought in many new followers. But then fame and money corrupted them...but you knew all that already.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point. I think they did much harm to the name of Christ.

Have a great day!

Offline musiclady

Seems to me that now the Republican Party is liberal,  the fake Republicans are the conservatives.

Precisely.

Conservative Republicans were told to shove it at the Convention because the usurper was now in charge.

So in poor Jerry Jr.'s eyes, the real ones are the liberals, and the fake ones are the Conservatives.

btw, I wonder if his IQ is above 100?  His father, agree with him or not, was one sharp cookie.

When I've heard Jr speak, the first word that comes to mind is "dunce."

@Applewood
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

I know of one in the White House.  Is that one okay to call out?

888high58888

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

I think the Evangelical church sold it's collective soul in 2016, and perhaps sealed its doom.

When morality and values take a back seat to political expedience and populism, the Church loses its meaning and purpose.

So-called Evangelical pastors were telling their congregations that they MUST vote for Trump in spite of his being a pervert.  They told their people that moral values weren't required (look at King David...  *****rollingeyes*****), and that our "Christian duty" was to vote for a morally reprehensible man.

Politics overcame values, and I don't think Evangelicalism will recover for a very long time........ and not likely before I'm gone.

@Chosen Daughter
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:43:32 pm by musiclady »

Offline stephen50right

We will have to agree to disagree on this point. I think they did much harm to the name of Christ.

Have a great day!

I sincerely doubt if a single Christian stopped being a Christian because of the sins of any televangelist, including those who the televangelists motivated to become Christians which of course is the "good" I'm talking about.