Author Topic: 'The Diary of Anne Frank' rings out at Italian soccer games in response to anti-Semitism  (Read 313 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'The Diary of Anne Frank' rings out at Italian soccer games in response to anti-Semitism
Tom Kington

“I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us....”

The words of Anne Frank rang out over the loudspeakers at Italian soccer stadiums Wednesday in a somber departure from the usual pregame festivities. Players wore shirts depicting her image and denouncing anti-Semitism. They handed copies of “The Diary of Anne Frank” to young fans.

The homage to Frank was a hastily planned response to an alarming display of anti-Semitism on Sunday when fans of Rome’s Lazio soccer team used images of the Holocaust victim to launch insults at rival supporters. The Lazio fans had plastered images of Frank dressed in the uniform of crosstown rival Roma, along with anti-Semitic slogans.

Read more at: http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-italy-anne-frank-20171025-story.html

Offline Frank Cannon

The Lazio fans had plastered images of Frank dressed in the uniform of crosstown rival Roma, along with anti-Semitic slogans.

It really bugs me when I get harassed like that.

Offline RoosGirl

The Lazio fans had plastered images of Frank dressed in the uniform of crosstown rival Roma, along with anti-Semitic slogans.

It really bugs me when I get harassed like that.

That you?

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

Reminds me of a news story from decades ago about an amateur production of "Anne Frank."

The "actress" who played Anne Frank was so bad,  in a scene where Nazis stormed in looking for her,  many in the audience yelled out,  "She's in the attic !"

Offline Frank Cannon

That you?

Absolutely not. I can't pull off pleats.

Offline RoosGirl

Absolutely not. I can't pull off pleats.

Not everyone can.