Author Topic: Jeff Flake is No Martyr. Steve Bannon Did Not Defeat Him. And the Media is Full of Crap on This Story.  (Read 675 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Erick Erickson
http://theresurgent.com/jeff-flake-is-no-martyr-steve-bannon-did-not-defeat-him-and-the-media-is-full-of-crap-on-this-story/?utm_content=buffer46535&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I cannot help it that the Washington media and much of both the anti-Trump and pro-Trump forces
have narratives they want to push that are falsehoods, but I can tell you the truth about Jeff Flake.

Flake is no martyr. You can love his speech, and it was good, but let’s not kid ourselves. Flake says our
kids are going to ask what we did to stop what is happening and Flake’s honest answer will be he quit.
And he is quitting. But the media narrative on both sides is convenient, self-serving, and a fabrication.

I’m sorry Trump haters, but Jeff Flake is no martyr who spoke truth to power and met defeat for doing
so. I’m sorry Trump humpers, but Steve Bannon did not defeat Jeff Flake in a game of 13 dimensional
chess. The truth is Jeff Flake defeated himself . . .

. . . Flake could have been opposed to President Trump and even been outspoken about it. But he could
not sell out his conservatism and then become an outspoken Trump critic. That is, however, what he
chose to do . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
For whatever reason Flaka Flake is not running, I'm good with it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

I was just wondering what the Jeff Flake wing of the party had to say today and right here we go. Hey Erik, if you want to hitch your wagon to losers like Flake, Bailout Bob Corker and Charlie Dent you are taking a ride straight into a ditch.....which is where you belong you moron.

Offline skeeter

I haven't heard anyone praising Bannon for causing Flake's announcement. I had heard it was because the polls said he was in re-election trouble.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
For whatever reason Flaka Flake is not running, I'm good with it.

And you can throw in Bob Corker as well as far as I'm concerned!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Sen. Bob Corker Failed to Properly Disclose Millions of Dollars in Income

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sen-bob-corker-failed-to-properly-disclose-millions-of-dollars-in-income-1450051046

I find this one delicious in the extreme!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

I was just wondering what the Jeff Flake wing of the party had to say today and right here we go. Hey Erik, if you want to hitch your wagon to losers like Flake, Bailout Bob Corker and Charlie Dent you are taking a ride straight into a ditch.....which is where you belong you moron.
Read the full article. Erickson isn't exactly a Flake admirer.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Read the full article. Erickson isn't exactly a Flake admirer.

@EasyAce

I read the full article with interest, and find myself in total agreement with Mr. Erikson, which doesn't happen that often.  I'd like to start off by highlighting these two paragraphs from it:

Jeff Flake had a 100% lifetime Club for Growth record in the United States House of Representatives. He was a conservative’s conservative and stood up to the House GOP leadership. He used that reputation to catapult himself into the Senate with the backing of most every major conservative group. He towed a tough line on the budget, Obamacare, immigration, etc.

Then he got to the Senate and promptly caved on it all. Friends of his tell me that he had no support system in the Senate. In the House, at least, there were other Club for Growth candidates. The smaller Senate with even fewer conservatives unleashed Jeff Flake’s need to be liked. He went from being a reliable Club for Growth members to a reliable Mitch McConnell member.

@EasyAce, I am as close a student of AZ politics as you are of Baseball (but not nearly as eloquent a writer), and that is exactly how it went.  He had a really good record in the House, one of the best in fact, and he started throwing it all away the instant he was elected to the Senate, before he was even inaugurated.  But he had already blown it for me in a very important way, years before he hitched his sail for his ride to the Senate.

Back in the day, back in the 90's, I was a Republican Precinct Committeeman.  In '94, I saw my Congressional District yanked away from a Democrat in the Gingrich revolution of '94, by good voters and a fellow named Matt Salmon.  A good man, who is now a Representative in another district (Things changed, I'm now in a safe Dem District  9999hair out0000 ).  When he ran in '94, he promised "three terms and I'm outta here." 

In 2000 he honored that pledge, and after a 5-candidate Primary, Jeff Flake was victorious and went on to the General, where he won.  During the Primary campaign, I personally asked Mr. Flake during a Candidates' Forum at our PC meeting about Term Limits (It's a big issue for me), and he said "What was good enough for my friend Matt Salmon is good enough for me.  Three and out."

Fast-forward to 2006, and Flake was running for re-election, after promising me and many others he would retire after three terms!  By then I was out of the PC system, but I saw on TV another PC asking him "What about your promise?"  He replied, "I guess I lied, ha ha."  He won, and took an extra three terms until he ran for the Senate in 2012.  Needless to say, he won those elections minus my vote.  But despite my distaste for him, he did stick to a very conservative record in the House, for which I applauded him.

So, in 2012, he won his Senate seat, and I was hopeful (despite his reneging on the promise he made to me) he would carry on his solid conservative tradition in the Senate, but before he was even inaugurated he was best pals with John McCain, whom I'd detested for years because of his double dealing with the Democrats.  Flake announced he was going to go with McCain on Shamnesty for the illegal aliens and joing the "Gang of Eight," which is anathema to his AZ constituents.  As Erikson states above in the graphs I pulled, "He went from being a reliable Club for Growth members [sic] to a reliable Mitch McConnell member."

I cannot be more thrilled he dropped out of the race.  Now, I hope Kelli Ward (or whoever wins) can keep the seat safe from Kyrsten Sinema, the likely Democrat to get the Dem Nomination.  She will be a very difficult challenger to beat, even had Flake stayed in the race.  She's my Representative, because they redrew my district to include all of Tempe, a college town (ASU), and the central corridor of Phoenix.  As I said earlier, safe Dem.

@Slip18
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:20:23 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@EasyAce

I read the full article with interest, and find myself in total agreement with Mr. Erikson, which doesn't happen that often.  I'd like to start off by highlighting these two paragraphs from it:

@EasyAce, I am as close a student of AZ politics as you are of Baseball (but not nearly as eloquent a writer), and that is exactly how it went.  He had a really good record in the House, one of the best in fact, and he started throwing it all away the instant he was elected to the Senate, before he was even inaugurated.  But he had already blown it for me in a very important way, years before he hitched his sail for his ride to the Senate.

Back in the day, back in the 90's, I was a Republican Precinct Committeeman.  In '94, I saw my Congressional District yanked away from a Democrat in the Gingrich revolution of '94, by good voters and a fellow named Matt Salmon.  A good man, who is now a Representative in another district (Things changed, I'm now in a safe Dem District  9999hair out0000 ).  When he ran in '94, he promised "three terms and I'm outta here." 

In 2000 he honored that pledge, and after a 5-candidate Primary, Jeff Flake was victorious and went on to the General, where he won.  During the Primary campaign, I personally asked Mr. Flake during a Candidates' Forum at our PC meeting about Term Limits (It's a big issue for me), and he said "What was good enough for my friend Matt Salmon is good enough for me.  Three and out."

Fast-forward to 2006, and Flake was running for re-election, after promising me and many others he would retire after three terms!  By then I was out of the PC system, but I saw on TV another PC asking him "What about your promise?"  He replied, "I guess I lied, ha ha."  He won, and took an extra three terms until he ran for the Senate in 2012.  Needless to say, he won those elections minus my vote.  But despite my distaste for him, he did stick to a very conservative record in the House, for which I applauded him.

So, in 2012, he won his Senate seat, and I was hopeful (despite his reneging on the promise he made to me) he would carry on his solid conservative tradition in the Senate, but before he was even inaugurated he was best pals with John McCain, whom I'd detested for years because of his double dealing with the Democrats.  Flake announced he was going to go with McCain on Shamnesty for the illegal aliens and joing the "Gang of Eight," which is anathema to his AZ constituents.  As Erikson states above in the graphs I pulled, "He went from being a reliable Club for Growth members [sic] to a reliable Mitch McConnell member."

I cannot be more thrilled he dropped out of the race.  Now, I hope Kelli Ward (or whoever wins) can keep the seat safe from Kyrsten Sinema, the likely Democrat to get the Dem Nomination.  She will be a very difficult challenger to beat, even had Flake stayed in the race.  She's my Representative, because they redrew my district to include all of Tempe, a college town (ASU), and the central corridor of Phoenix.  As I said earlier, safe Dem.

@Slip18

And who was right there singing his praises after that senate floor speech yesterday?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And who was right there singing his praises after that senate floor speech yesterday?

You mean besides McConnell and Schumer?  Why, the man who delivered the infamous "Steele Dossier" into the hands of the FBI.  John McStain, doing his regular day job of stabbing conservatives in the back.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You mean besides McConnell and Schumer?  Why, the man who delivered the infamous "Steele Dossier" into the hands of the FBI.  John McStain, doing his regular day job of stabbing conservatives in the back.

That would be correct!!   :beer:  888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant

Probably McCain, right!

I can honestly say that everything @Cyber Liberty has posted is true.  I even worked next to him when I moved to AZ in 2001.  The fools voted me into a position!  I was his underling. Very happy to have been in that position.  I learned, oh, so much!  I met people I had never expected to meet!  It has been a fabulous and exciting marriage! 

As with politics, though, I saw so many lies.  I don't like lies. I don't even like conspiracy theories.  They bore me to death!

I was so very happy when Cyber found TBR!  He quit the "other site." He did not get thrown off.  I was sitting next to him when he was talking to the owner of the other site.  I heard his side of the conversation.  It was Cyber's decision to quit.

I did not quit.  I had my little Word for the Day teacher's job then.  I ended up quitting also.  Cyber never forced me to quit.  That is the kind of man he is!

Now I am babbling.  Suffice it to say, Cyber goes waaaay back with politics in Arizona!  He knows about which he speaks!

He is a very good and honest man!  So glad I met him at the other site (yes), and we married shortly thereafter.  A little bit of history unto itself!

Oh, this is also for at new friend now. @EasyAce.

I know I got off topic.  Sorry!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

Flake isn't exactly the first such Congressman to take a dive after being elected to bigger and (he thought) better,
and unfortunately he won't be the last. I understand one of the likely Republican challengers in the race is someone
absolutely committed to Donaldus Minimus. We don't need people on Capitol Hill committed to a president, we need
people on Capitol Hill committed to the Constitution. The oath of office that the Supreme Law of the Land binds even
the president to take does not bind a senator or representative to uphold and defend the president of the United
States. (And, no, saying that is not Trump-hatred or Trump bashing. I've felt that way for a very long time
regardless of who happened to sit in the White House.)

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Probably McCain, right!

I can honestly say that everything @Cyber Liberty has posted is true.  I even worked next to him when I moved to AZ in 2001.  The fools voted me into a position!  I was his underling. Very happy to have been in that position.  I learned, oh, so much!  I met people I had never expected to meet!  It has been a fabulous and exciting marriage! 

As with politics, though, I saw so many lies.  I don't like lies. I don't even like conspiracy theories.  They bore me to death!

I was so very happy when Cyber found TBR!  He quit the "other site." He did not get thrown off.  I was sitting next to him when he was talking to the owner of the other site.  I heard his side of the conversation.  It was Cyber's decision to quit.

I did not quit.  I had my little Word for the Day teacher's job then.  I ended up quitting also.  Cyber never forced me to quit.  That is the kind of man he is!

Now I am babbling.  Suffice it to say, Cyber goes waaaay back with politics in Arizona!  He knows about which he speaks!

He is a very good and honest man!  So glad I met him at the other site (yes), and we married shortly thereafter.  A little bit of history unto itself!

Oh, this is also for at new friend now. @EasyAce.

I know I got off topic.  Sorry!

Your hubby and I were long acquainted at TOS!  He knows my story. Ask him about it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Your hubby and I were long acquainted at TOS!  He knows my story. Ask him about it.

I most certainly will!  Thank you!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Flake isn't exactly the first such Congressman to take a dive after being elected to bigger and (he thought) better,
and unfortunately he won't be the last. I understand one of the likely Republican challengers in the race is someone
absolutely committed to Donaldus Minimus. We don't need people on Capitol Hill committed to a president, we need
people on Capitol Hill committed to the Constitution. The oath of office that the Supreme Law of the Land binds even
the president to take does not bind a senator or representative to uphold and defend the president of the United
States. (And, no, saying that is not Trump-hatred or Trump bashing. I've felt that way for a very long time
regardless of who happened to sit in the White House.)

Yeah, true so far.  Now that Flake is out, the lay of the land has changed, so it's time to reevaluate who's where on this.  While Trump/Bannen have endorsed Ward, I don't know if she's a big Trump follower.  The Governor is, so when McCain's head explodes that replacement will be a Trumper.  There were others but they weren't getting traction, so maybe they will now.  I have to see who's still in now, I really don't know.
I will NOT comply.