Author Topic: Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Own Words  (Read 300 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Own Words
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:54:47 am »
To celebrate Samhain, a Wiccan festival that falls on the evening of Oct. 31, Washington, D.C. resident Elizabeth Stephens usually prepares a pot of jambalaya to honor her late grandmother and a plate of roast beef in memory of her parents. She marks the festival with witches and fellow Wiccans, who offer their own dishes as a part of the day’s feast. The table they set becomes patterned with platters that were the favorites of family members and friends.

As a part of the celebration, a black cloth is held above the heads of the attendees and cut with a knife through the center, representing an opening between the spirit and material worlds. After some time has passed, participants encourage the spirits to return to their realm and the cut in the cloth is sewn.

Images of witches being veiled in darkness, casting spells over cauldrons endure, but a new generation of Wiccans and witches have established growing communities in D.C. and across the country.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Out-of-the-broom-closet-Wiccans-and-witches-in-their-own-words-451613133.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Own Words
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:48:36 am »
Wiccans are an odd group. They have a tentative grasp on what they believe. They say they don't follow Satan but they admit that you can practice Wicca any way you want so they can follow Satan if they want. Therefore, Wicca is not a definable belief.

Being a programmer, I have worked with several of them. I think some of them just wanted to get naked in the woods with women. A new employee on the floor once whispered to me "I don't want to alarm anyone but I'm a Wiccan. Do you think that will be a problem?". I told her we had 3 more on the floor and named them. She was crestfallen that she wasn't the only one.

When my African American coworker found out about it, he brought it in the largest King James Bible I have ever seen and placed it on his desk. His manager wanted to say something about it but chickened out.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline verga

Re: Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Own Words
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:57:42 am »
Hey seriously anything you want to do to worship God/ god is alright by me as long as it does not involve the torture/ sacrifice of children or small fur bearing animals.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.