Author Topic: No, repainting the ‘Christmas tree’ does not mean we’re back to the Cold War  (Read 305 times)

Offline corbe

No, repainting the ‘Christmas tree’ does not mean we’re back to the Cold War

Published 1 min ago on October 23, 2017   
By Steve Berman 

The lead headline on Drudge this morning is an article in Defense One, which portends a return to a 24-hour alert, which hasn’t been seen since the demise of Strategic Air Command. As intriguing as that headline is, it’s really not practical, and it’s a stretch, if not a bluff.

At Barksdale AFB, the Air Force is preparing to renovate the “Christmas tree,” or the alert pad that used to mark every base with a long runway and a SAC presence. I grew up near Pease AFB in Portsmouth during the Cold War, and well remember the FB-111’s sitting on the pad, and practicing MITO (minimum interval take-off) drills at all hours. I remember going to the mall with some of my airmen acquaintances and seeing the blue school bus pull up to collect them when the alert klaxon sounded. I remember the December day in 1984 when a Russian sub off Finland almost trigger WW3.

<..snip..>

http://noqreport.com/2017/10/23/no-repainting-christmas-tree-not-mean-back-cold-war/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.