Author Topic: Rep. Betty Price says comments about quarantining HIV patients 'taken out of context'  (Read 641 times)

Offline RoosGirl

“I do not support a quarantine in this public health challenge and dilemma of undertreated HIV patients,” Georgia state Rep. Betty Price (R-Roswell) wrote in a statement.

Price, the wife of former Health and Human Services Secretary and Georgia Congressman Tom Price, was at a meeting of a House study committee last week when she asked a state health official about HIV patients.
“What are we legally able to do?” Price asked during the meeting. “I don’t want to say the quarantine word, but I guess I just said it. Is there an ability since, I would guess that public dollars are expended heavily in prophylaxes and treatment of this condition. So we have a public interest in curtailing the spread. What would you advise? Or are there any methods, you know, that we could do that would curtail the spread?”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/national/rep-betty-price-says-comments-about-quarantining-hiv-patients-taken-out-context/vcPjvxOpW1iKOQydM7JfcK/

Offline Frank Cannon

So now we know the Prices are generally stupid tone deaf people.

Offline RoosGirl

Besides that, that genie's been out of the bottle about 35 years; can't believe anyone is even still thinking about it, much less discussing it.

Offline Frank Cannon

Besides that, that genie's been out of the bottle about 35 years; can't believe anyone is even still thinking about it, much less discussing it.

Tell me about it. I can't figure out why this is an issue in GA either.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I worked as a phlebotomist at the height of the crisis in the mid 80s.  You pretty much were quarantined. Anyone HIV+ was in their own room, with this big sign on the door.....

There was a supply cart outside and you did not enter the room and have patient contact without mask, gloves, goggles, and gown.  You didn’t leave the room until those items were put in the biohazard container just inside the door.  ANY specimen from them was given a label, similar to the door sign.  There were complaints, but there was still a lot unknown about the virus at the time, so the PC factor was ignored, as it should have been.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:28:44 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.