Author Topic: The government spends billions to help send low-income students to college. Only half are graduating  (Read 615 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The government spends billions to help send low-income students to college. Only half are graduating
MSN.com; Oct 21, 2017, Money, Kaitlin Mulhere

It’s no secret finishing college is more difficult for low-income students. But new government data show just how hard that struggle can be.

At four-year colleges, just under half of students who received Pell Grants — federal aid awarded to millions of low income families each year — went on to earn a bachelor’s degree within six years, according to a Money analysis of Education Department data released Thursday. That’s compared with 67% of students who did not receive the grant.

Even students at top colleges struggled. At colleges that admit less than a third of applicants, graduation rates were much higher, but the overall gap was nearly as wide: Pell Grant recipients had a 71.9% graduation rate, compared with 87.9% for the rest of students.

Overall graduation rates, including both students who qualify for Pell Grants and those who do not, were 66% for private colleges and 59% at public colleges, according to the data, which tracked students who enrolled in 2010 through the end of last year.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/the-government-spends-billions-to-help-send-low-income-students-to-college-only-half-are-graduating/ar-AAtpXtK?ocid=spartandhp

Offline dfwgator

Shocked, just shocked.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
And the dirty little secret is that the ones who are graduating have been cheated on a GRAND scale!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And the dirty little secret is that the ones who are graduating have been cheated on a GRAND scale!
I don't doubt that there are some who worked hard and earned a legitimate degree, but how many were given liberal arts degrees in women's or minority or some other do nothing know nothing subject? And how many rang up huge debts in student loans that they have neither the ability or intention of paying back?