Author Topic: Surprise: Defying Models, Antarctic Sea Ice Extent 100 Years Ago Similar To Today  (Read 739 times)

rangerrebew

Surprise: Defying Models, Antarctic Sea Ice Extent 100 Years Ago Similar To Today

By P Gosselin on 17. October 2017
By Dr. Sebastian Lüning and Prof. Fritz Vahrenholt

German text edited/translated by P Gosselin)

Satellite measurements of Antarctic sea ice do not go back even 40 years. That’s not very much, especially when we consider that many natural climate cycles have periods of 60 years and more.

Luckily we have the field of climate reconstruction. Using historical documents and sediment cores, the development of ice cover can be estimated. In November, 2016, Tom Edinburg and Jonathan Day examined shipping log books from the time of Antarctic explorers and published on ice extent in The Cryosphere:

http://notrickszone.com/2017/10/17/surprise-defying-models-antarctic-sea-ice-extent-100-years-ago-similar-to-today/#sthash.Wei0GBwn.zDYxoVjj.dpbs

Offline Joe Wooten

When you build models that reflect your political sensitivities instead of reality, reality has a way of proving you a fool.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
When you build models that reflect your political sensitivities instead of reality, reality has a way of proving you a fool.

I no longer even try to debate AGW fanatics. As soon as I determine that someone is a Reality Denier who believes in AGW, I just walk up to them and punch them as hard as I can in the face. If they are female I don't punch them of course, but I do laugh at them openly and shake my head when they speak about their idiotic beliefs, as if I am listening to a dopey child.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:20:56 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Worse than that, AGW promoters continue to lie about their past untruths, manipulate both current and past data in order to perpetuate the scam, and use the media to shame questioners into silence. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I think they graduated from the Dan Rather school of modeling and analysis.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Is the "Surprise" in the title meant to be ironic?  'Cause I totally wasn't surprised.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Suppressed

Ice extent isn't as important as ice volume.  That's the reconstruction I'd like to see...that will tell us something.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Ice extent isn't as important as ice volume.  That's the reconstruction I'd like to see...that will tell us something.

What will it tell us, sieur?

Regarding the AGW conjecture, whether ice is thinning or thickening would only inform on whether there is a possible warming trend or not. It would have absolutely no bearing on the essential debate (you know, the one that is "over" according to the wishful thinking of the Chicken Little Faction) about whether any warming of the planet's atmosphere is attributable to human activity or not, no?

See, this whole blitz by the ecoparanoid faction trying to shift discussion of AGW-related issues to non-sequiturs and red herrings is what is important. No intelligent person I have ever spoken to or written about the AGW controversy has ever stated that they believe absolutely that the planet is not warming. That is an acknowledgement of the fact that the climatic temperature is ALWAYS either going in a warming trend or a cooling trend - there is no thermostat which keeps the temperature at a fixed position.

The only focus of controversy and discussion should be on whether there is any substantive evidence that human activity contributes to any measurable warming. The fact that warming might be taking place is in itself immaterial to that discussion.

And from everything I have read and understood about that latter issue, there is absolutely no strong evidence supporting a conclusion that human beings have anything significant whatsoever to do with an atmospheric warming trend.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:08:11 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)