Author Topic: Internet Sales Tax Should be Dead on Arrival  (Read 588 times)

rangerrebew

Internet Sales Tax Should be Dead on Arrival
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:07:33 pm »
Internet Sales Tax Should be Dead on Arrival

heritageaction | October 3, 2017   

The internet is one of the most exemplary free market and innovation success stories of our life time. Over the last few decades, it has helped grow the economy, expanded opportunities for entrepreneurs, and enhanced consumer choice for all Americans by allowing unprecedented access to online goods and services.

Unfortunately, internet freedom is under attack by politicians willing to distort markets and tilt the playing field toward their favored businesses at the expense of the vast majority of Americans who benefit from online marketplaces.

http://heritageaction.com/2017/10/internet-sales-tax-dead-arrival/

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: Internet Sales Tax Should be Dead on Arrival
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:06:48 pm »
On the one hand, I agree that it's unreasonable to require a small retailer to contend with the 10000 U.S. tax jurisdictions, much less the exposure to potential legal costs even if they do everything exactly right.

On the other hand, I don't see why they should be given the artificial competitive advantage of offering products without sales tax.

I'd like to think that a system could be devised that's fair to all parties while somehow closing the offshore loophole. In the end, it's the buyer who's responsible for paying the tax no matter where it comes from (Edit> or who collects it)...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:54:58 pm by Snarknado »
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 04:09:45 pm »
Unless it is part of getting rid of the Marxist income tax entirely  I'm firmly against this.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:09:55 pm »
On the one hand, I agree that it's unreasonable to require a small retailer to contend with the 10000 U.S. tax jurisdictions, much less the exposure to potential legal costs even if they do everything exactly right.

On the other hand, I don't see why they should be given the artificial competitive advantage of offering products without sales tax.

I'd like to think that a system could be devised that's fair to all parties while somehow closing the offshore loophole. In the end, it's the buyer who's responsible for paying the tax no matter where it comes from...

I agree although, I do wonder if this will tend to discriminate against smaller shops trying to compete with behemoths like Amazon who sell online.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:10:19 pm »
There always has been an Internet Sales Tax.  It's called a "Use Tax".

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:14:39 pm »
We should have an internet tax. We can use it to increase spending one social welfare and if there is any left over we can finally give a congress a raise. They deserve it.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:30:09 pm »

When you think about all the taxes Americans pay, it is truly incredible. The same single dollar of earnings by an American could wind up being taxed a dozen different times before it is actually turned into an actual product.

This is what Trump is talking about when he says the American system of taxation is a joke. He's right. It is insanity. The American Congress wants to 'tax' everything that exists. The whole idea behind the Global Warming scam is to find a way to tax the very air that we breath. If Congress could find a way, they would put a tax on sunshine.

No. Enough is enough. We don't need any more taxes, on anything. What we need is to start eliminating taxes, not creating new ones.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 04:55:40 pm »
Most internet vendors are currently charging state sales taxes, where applicable.

The criteria which I have seen, is for the vendor to charge a tax, when they have a presence in your state.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln