Author Topic: Nearly 200 of America's F-35s May Remain Indefinitely Unfit for Combat (Updated)  (Read 467 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

By Kyle Mizokami

The Pentagon may end up with about 200 F-35s that remain unready for war. Because of defense budget headaches, the money to fix them up is going somewhere else.

The Armed Services are presently spending their money on brand new Joint Strike Fighters. That means up to $40 billion in older planes—built before the F-35 design was complete—could forgo upgrades meant to bring them up to the latest standard.

Dan Grazier, an analyst for the Project on Government Oversight, explains in The National Interest that 108 early model F-35s may remain non-combat-rated—that is, unprepared for combat and suitable only for air shows and training missions. There are also 81 early model Navy and Marine Corps F-35s in need of upgrades, which adds up to 189 F-35s that can't go to war.

The root of this predicament is a procurement model known as concurrency. The Pentagon and Lockheed Martin knew that the F-35 program, which planned to deliver variants for the Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps, would be immensely complex, requiring many years and billions of dollars to complete. While the basic prototype first flew in 2000, the F-35's development took a total of more than 15 years. The final version of the F-35's software, Block 3F, is still undergoing product testing.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a28685/f-35s-unfit-for-combat/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I fail to see how this is "news" outside of the procurement circles.

Even the F117 fleet had aircraft that weren't equal to each other.  At one point there were seven (7) different LO configurations in a fleet of 57 aircraft.

Even some of the avionics and other systems were different as a result of discoveries during flight testing.  This is NOT a new phenomena.

I suspect that many of these aircraft, if not modified to current standards will remain at training bases.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DemolitionMan

I fail to see how this is "news" outside of the procurement circles.

Even the F117 fleet had aircraft that weren't equal to each other.  At one point there were seven (7) different LO configurations in a fleet of 57 aircraft.

Even some of the avionics and other systems were different as a result of discoveries during flight testing.  This is NOT a new phenomena.

I suspect that many of these aircraft, if not modified to current standards will remain at training bases.

I agree.Either they can remain as training craft,updated and sold at a future date or as spare parts.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:56:47 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome