Author Topic: Yes, British F-35 engines must be sent to Turkey for overhaul  (Read 837 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Yes, British F-35 engines must be sent to Turkey for overhaul
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:18:06 am »
Britain’s F-35B fighter jets currently cost around $123m each – and British officials are quite content that the only engine overhaul facility for the stealth aircraft’s engines is located in Turkey.

The House of Commons’ Defence Committee questioned British ministers, civil servants and senior officers on the F-35 purchase programme, revealing that Britain is still publicly committed to buying 138 F-35Bs.

Speculation had mounted that Britain may not buy its full complement of the aircraft thanks to well-publicised holes in the defence budget, which – in a break with tradition – caused Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon to publicly call for a bigger defence budget.

Excerpted by Mod2

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/19/f35_fighter_engines_turkey_overhaul/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:36:31 pm by Mod2 »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Yes, British F-35 engines must be sent to Turkey for overhaul
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »
The original partner nations agreed to these arrangements.  Each one gets it's "slice" of the pie for buying in at the beginning.

Since Turkey doesn't make any components, they get an overhaul facility.

England got the ejection seat contract with Martin Baker among a number of others.

IMO, Turkey needs to be cut out of the whole deal and NATO until Erdogan and his muslim buddies are gone...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:23:40 am »
SZonian wrote:
"Turkey needs to be cut out of the whole deal and NATO until Erdogan and his muslim buddies are gone..."

Eh?
It's a muslim nation.
When one muslim leaves, another will step in to take his place.

Let me know when a NON-muslim leader gets to the top in Turkey...

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 03:02:50 am »
SZonian wrote:
"Turkey needs to be cut out of the whole deal and NATO until Erdogan and his muslim buddies are gone..."

Eh?
It's a muslim nation.
When one muslim leaves, another will step in to take his place.

Let me know when a NON-muslim leader gets to the top in Turkey...
There have been "muslim" leaders in Turkey for generations that were quite moderate...might the example of Ataturk be representative of what is possible in Turkey?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 01:42:24 pm »
SZonian wrote:
"There have been "muslim" leaders in Turkey for generations that were quite moderate...might the example of Ataturk be representative of what is possible in Turkey?"

Them days is over...

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 12:57:28 am »
The original partner nations agreed to these arrangements.  Each one gets it's "slice" of the pie for buying in at the beginning.

Since Turkey doesn't make any components, they get an overhaul facility.

England got the ejection seat contract with Martin Baker among a number of others.

IMO, Turkey needs to be cut out of the whole deal and NATO until Erdogan and his muslim buddies are gone...

They did sign on the line but they could be bought out from the project. Refund the money they have already sinked in the project.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:53:46 am »
There have been "muslim" leaders in Turkey for generations that were quite moderate...might the example of Ataturk be representative of what is possible in Turkey?
Maybe you should ask the Armenians about that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:24:39 am »
Maybe you should ask the Armenians about that.
I answered what I thought was a simple question.

I suppose now every post and question needs to be viewed with a very healthy dose of skepticism unless on is sure of the poster's motives?

Can't win around this joint...everyone seems to be working some angle.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 05:32:58 am »
I answered what I thought was a simple question.

I suppose now every post and question needs to be viewed with a very healthy dose of skepticism unless on is sure of the poster's motives?

Can't win around this joint...everyone seems to be working some angle.
Not to nit pick, but you asked a question. I'm not working any angle, unless history is an angle.  :shrug:

FWIW, I wouldn't be here if the Turkish Brigade hadn't moved in and reinforced my Dad's unit in Korea, so I don't have a bad attitude toward the Turks, although I recognize that some weren't nice guys. Only two guys in the unit could walk off that ridge when it was over, and they were nearly out of ammo from repelling Chinese wave attacks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis