Author Topic: Federal court rules World War I memorial cross must be torn down  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Federal court rules World War I memorial cross must be torn down
Fox News, Oct 18, 2017, Todd Starnes

Back in 1925, the American Legion erected a memorial in Bladensburg, Md., to honor the memory of 49 men who perished during World War I.  The 40-foot tall memorial became known as the "Peace Cross."

In 2014, the American Humanist Association -- a group that believes in "being good without a god" -- filed a lawsuit alleging the cross-shaped memorial is unconstitutional and demanding it be demolished, altered, or removed.

They alleged the cross carries "an inherently religious message and creates the unmistakable appearance of honoring only Christian servicemen."

On Wednesday, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals agreed and ruled the historic memorial must be torn down -- all because the Bladensburg Memorial is in the shape of a cross.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/10/18/federal-court-rules-world-war-memorial-cross-must-be-torn-down.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Federal court rules World War I memorial cross must be torn down
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »
Tyranny by the minority.

I would simply refuse to tear it down as the majority want it there.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »
These hate groups won't be satisfied until religion and tradition are stamped out.  It's very difficult to absolutely control a populace which knows its history and believes in something other than the state.  Those of us who still cling to our religion and traditions are a threat, which is why these groups want government run health care -- so that at every earliest opportunity, they can be rid of us.  Eventually, all that will be left are the thoroughly indoctrinated young people who will mindlessly obey and bend to the will of the state.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:22:42 pm »
Tyranny by the minority.
That's exactly what it is. If we're the majority, we're losing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:25:40 pm »
Simple solution, someone needs to buy the several hundred square feet the monument stands on. Then it becomes private property and the sanowflakes have no standing to file a claim.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:41:40 pm »
The problem is this is the old atheist bait and switch. They do the razzmattazz switcharoo by telling people they can't put their religion on public property. Then they clear the way for their own leftist worship of the state by of course saying that because they are atheists they really don't have a religion. But they do have an absolute belief that is no less religious than any other.

That said, as much as I hate it, what they do is a great foil against Muslim attempts to institute their religion on the population.
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 03:53:28 pm »
Another example of why the left is so keen on importing diversity - so they can use it as a scythe to destroy anything traditional, christian or patriotic.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »
What about the crosses at Arlington National Cemetery?

Trump has reigned the left in a bit, but they are still out of control.

This leftist madness needs to stop.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:23:34 pm »
That said, as much as I hate it, what they do is a great foil against Muslim attempts to institute their religion on the population.

Not really.

The Left is in an unholy alliance with Muslims pushing Sharia. 

Because they share a common enemy they want defeated: us.

Personally the entire federal behemoth has shown itself to be lawless and irrelevant, so I say the courts can pound sand.

All the State has is guns their agents will put to our heads - and since that is the very definition of tyranny - I say we start resisting it and refuse to comply with such edicts.

When they come to enforce tyranny - you should know what time it is.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 05:35:06 pm »
Not really.

The Left is in an unholy alliance with Muslims pushing Sharia. 

Because they share a common enemy they want defeated: us.

Personally the entire federal behemoth has shown itself to be lawless and irrelevant, so I say the courts can pound sand.

All the State has is guns their agents will put to our heads - and since that is the very definition of tyranny - I say we start resisting it and refuse to comply with such edicts.

When they come to enforce tyranny - you should know what time it is.

True, but they are ultimately ideologically opposite with different goals.

Which means Christians need to learn to play them off each other. Now if they Muslims ever try to institute their religion in the public sphere, we got court precedent to stop it. If the courts want to allow it, then we fight for ours too. If the courts force a double standard, disobey and defend.
The Republic is lost.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 06:36:47 pm »
Anyone really think this was going to stop at a Confederate flag flying over a state capital, statues honoring Confederate soldiers?   This craziness has only just started. The Crosses and Stars of David at Arlington are not beyond their reach, nor is the cross atop your churches steeple or on the neckless your daughter wears to school.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:02 pm »
mountaineer wrote:
"That's exactly what it is. If we're the majority, we're losing."

Time to tell some "minorities" to shut up, sit down, and stay out of things.
Flatly, simply, loudly.

I make no apologies for stating that.
And I don't care what you call me for having said so.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 10:50:36 pm »
mountaineer wrote:

Flatly, simply, loudly.

I would call you a patriot.  Is that ok?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »
mountaineer wrote:

Flatly, simply, loudly.

I'm with you. I'm sick to bloody death to hearing conservative commentators even today paying homage to the left's vision of the US by qualifying any criticism of the civil rights racket by starting off with 'of course we still have a ways to go in this country, but...'.

We've done enough. Its time to either start treating every ethnic group as free and equal adults, or admit that some need coddling BECAUSE of the color of their skin.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 10:41:20 pm »
Didn't Ted Cruz already litigate this type of case before the SC?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 11:27:00 pm »
When I talk about the tyranny of the minority, it's not about racial or ethnic groups. It's decent, rational people who love the Constitution vs. statists who are trying to divide the country and destroy its history.  Color is irrelevant.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 12:38:41 pm »

Must-See Moments: WWI Cross Must Be Torn Down, Federal Court Says

Video Team / October 21, 2017 / comments

The Daily Signal’s Facebook Live show “Top 10” features the top news stories of the week, many of which often go underreported or misreported by the mainstream media. This week, an American Legion in Maryland was told its 40-foot cross, which is in memory of World War I soldiers, must be torn down.

We also cover Apple pulling a pro-life group’s app after complaints from left-wing groups. And we address another story that went unreported: A Florida man took his message for the NFL to the sky to write: “Be American. Boycott the Jags and the NFL.” We covered all of this and much more on this week’s top 10 must-see moments. Check out the video above.

http://dailysignal.com/2017/10/21/must-see-moments-wwi-cross-must-be-torn-down-federal-court-says/?utm_source=TDS_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Top5&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTTJSbE9XSm1NVEF4TVdaaCIsInQiOiIzM0EwNjhlbkhJWnlERkdBZnhYdkhxQlwvWmt1RXlHMmpidHJ6Z2ErVW9hek93eE5WSHpoT002d3NMeVwvVllsa013NGQ3eEZYSlk4dGh0Mld0NUVTQStRYkZvSGpNTG5mZktLQkJXaWZBaGtGTSs1RVVjeWEzWTdsTjAxMWhUTHBZIn0%3D

Offline Mod1

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »
Threads merged.