Author Topic: U.S. bill to regulate internet ads gains bipartisan support with McCain  (Read 665 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By David Ingram

(Reuters) - U.S. legislation that would impose new disclosure requirements on political ads that run on Facebook and other websites received support on Wednesday from Senator John McCain, giving a bipartisan boost to a bill already popular among Democrats.

McCain, a longtime supporter of regulating campaign finances, and two Democratic senators, Amy Klobuchar and Mark Warner, plan to introduce the legislation on Thursday, according to a statement from their offices on Wednesday.

Republicans control the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, so bills generally need Republican support to advance....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-bill-regulate-internet-ads-gains-bipartisan-support-194613378--finance.html

Online dfwgator

Re: U.S. bill to regulate internet ads gains bipartisan support with McCain
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:41:53 pm »
Why doesn't McCain just declare himself a Rat and get it over with?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »
I sure some people here would like the idea.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:56 pm »
"U.S. bill to regulate internet ads gains bipartisan support with McCain"

That isn't "bipartisan" support.

McCain went over to "their side" some time ago...

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »
I sure some people here would like the idea.

I would.  From the article:

The legislation from the three senators would put online ads under the same rules as television, radio and satellite, so that who paid for them and other information would need to be disclosed

I'm good with that.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the campaign financing/advertising rules themselves, but I am in favor of having rules apply consistently across different forms of media (with the POSSIBLE exception of rules being different for broadcast -- a shared and limited resource -- vs the alternatives).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.