Author Topic: Trump says he has proof Democrat 'totally fabricated' his call with widow of soldier  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
My liberal friends are all freaking out over the possibility that Trump might have said something stupid.

They are like goldfish. Every 3 minutes, the bowl is completely different.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline RoosGirl

I'm going to rail against myself here a little so keep that in mind if you read this, that I am including myself in this. 

This is why we can't have nice things.  Trump has 3 people telling the same story against him, that he was a jackass to the wife of one of our fallen heroes.  So, what does he do?  His usual MO, gets on twitter to attack them, call them liars, says he has proof, but does not produce it.  So the ATs come to the thread and make excuses for him; that's just how he is, at least he's not Hillary, etc.  And the NTs push back at that bullshit.  Because instead of telling the truth "Wow, that was a dumb thing to say." and leaving it at that, there are excuses made.

And then we can look at an opposite example. Trump says Obamacare doesn't exist anymore.  And the NTs complain about it, for various reasons.  Except it turns out that not exactly to the letter, but for the most part it's correct; Optional to report to the IRS, subsidy payments stopped, etc.  And the ATs push back at that bullshit.

And on it goes, reaching twenty pages of trying to one-up each other except really saying the same tired arguments over and over and over again.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump could have hit a home run if he'd only said that Obama spent more time with the family of Bowe Bergdahl than with any other soldier's family.

Ain't that the truth.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump, like all of us, is a package. The good, the bad and the ugly. I can think of at least a dozen times in my life when the moment the words came out of my mouth I knew I had made a big mistake. One of those times lead to my divorce.

Great take on Trump ... the good, the bad, and the ugly.  And sorry about the divorce.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Oh. This old fallacy.

Yeah. Cruz would have been soooooo much worse.

It's not old and it's not a fallacy.  I will always be grateful to Trump for keeping the witch out of the White House.  I can't even bear to think of that.

And I will repeat that 'old fallacy' as often as possible.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Yes, President Bush is a classy guy.  And I remember when he would attend a funeral for the fallen or reach out to a deceased soldier's family, he would be criticized because, after all, he was the one who sent soldiers to their deaths (the detractors' favorite theme).  No matter what President Bush did, he was always being criticized.  Yet in spite of all the negativity, President Bush kept his cool.  Of course, Twitter didn't exist during his presidency.  But  I never heard of him making any public statement, calling his detractors "liars" in an effort to fan the flames.  With President Bush, being classy came natural to him, and he could say the right things.  Trump just can't do that.

You can buy gold toilets, but you can't buy class.  It's an innate quality.  GWBush had it in spades.  Trump just doesn't have it.

I think he's doing the best he can within his limitations.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
And the problem with telling the widow the truth is what?
Granted, if he did it's in poor taste, but it's the truth!
I think it goes far beyond poor taste to call the widow of a US service member killed in action while she is in route to meet his casket at the airport and say "he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurts."

If of course that is what he actually said. I’d like to believe that wasn’t what he said or it was taken out of context although the phrase was still a stupid thing to say. But remember Trump also said, “He’s (McCain) not a war hero.” “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.” which ended up just not a slam against McCain but also against every American POW.

Then to make matters worse, instead of clarifying what he did or didn’t say, he goes on a Twitter rant and accuses the Congresswoman of lying (and OK she’s no question, a nutburger) but then going the extra step of claiming he’s got proof that wasn’t what he said.  Sort of like the recorded conversation he claimed he had with Comey and never delivered?

He needs to put up or shut up at this point as he’s only making it worse.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
My liberal friends are all freaking out over the possibility that Trump might have said something stupid.

They are like goldfish. Every 3 minutes, the bowl is completely different.

...and needs cleaning.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'd assume that every word the POTUS speaks is recorded...especially from the White House.

Not even listening or reading about charges/alibis, I can tell you that when you take the POTUS' words in context, he was admiring the deceased soldier's courage and commitment.

The rest is nothing but a Trump Hate-B*ner.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DiogenesLamp

Then to make matters worse, instead of clarifying what he did or didn’t say, he goes on a Twitter rant and accuses the Congresswoman of lying (and OK she’s no question, a nutburger) but then going the extra step of claiming he’s got proof that wasn’t what he said.  Sort of like the recorded conversation he claimed he had with Comey and never delivered?

He probably has proof,  but he doesn't want to waste revealing it on such a trivial issue.   If he didn't use it on Comey,  then he must be saving it for a far more pressing need.   

Yes,  I think the Whitehouse records everything.   It is irrational to think that it is otherwise. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:05:25 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I think it goes far beyond poor taste to call the widow of a US service member killed in action while she is in route to meet his casket at the airport and say "he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurts."

If of course that is what he actually said. I’d like to believe that wasn’t what he said or it was taken out of context although the phrase was still a stupid thing to say. But remember Trump also said, “He’s (McCain) not a war hero.” “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.” which ended up just not a slam against McCain but also against every American POW.

The twitter rant is Bad Trump but I think the actual sentiment he conveyed was that this soldier knew what he signed up for, knew the risks and accepted the responsibility anyway, which makes the soldier all the braver.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races

He probably has proof,  but he doesn't want to waste revealing it on such a trivial issue.   If he didn't use it on Comey,  then he must be saving it for a far more pressing need.   

Yes,  I think the Whitehouse records everything.   It is irrational to think that it is otherwise.

Nope. If one says that someone else is lying and then says and “I have proof” that they are, then it’s put up or shut up time.  Not “I have the proof, but I’m saving it for later”.  That is irrational.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline aligncare

I'd assume that every word the POTUS speaks is recorded...especially from the White House.

Not even listening or reading about charges/alibis, I can tell you that when you take the POTUS' words in context, he was admiring the deceased soldier's courage and commitment.

The rest is nothing but a Trump Hate-B*ner.

Sean Hannity reported today that there were several other people present in the room who overheard the conversation, including Gen. John Kelly. If anyone would raise objections to an insult given to the widow of a dead soldier it would be him.

The congresswoman probably made up the lie from the depths of her Trump hate. I see Trump hate every day, I can spot it a mile away.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
You can buy gold toilets, but you can't buy class.  It's an innate quality.  GWBush had it in spades.  Trump just doesn't have it.

I think he's doing the best he can within his limitations.

I guess you have a point. We just can't expect something he isn't. Like expecting Obama to have the same class or a special needs person to do advanced calculus. His mental impairments shouldnt be held against him. He sould be measured in light of his mental disability and not expected to do any better.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Suppressed

Excellent suggestion! ...I say as I look back on all my missed opportunities. If only my foresight  was as sharp as my hindsight.
We all suffer from Treppenwitz at times.

Well, except for Trump.  I think that introspection isn't one of his faults.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DiogenesLamp

Nope. If one says that someone else is lying and then says and “I have proof” that they are, then it’s put up or shut up time.

Nope.   One can have proof,  but not want to reveal it because it is a one shot pistol.   Once it is known sufficiently to trigger a legal demand for the information,  the cat is out of the bag.   The Whitehouse would be inundated with writs. 

Not “I have the proof, but I’m saving it for later”.  That is irrational.

No,  it is not.  It is quite rational to not waste your one pistol shot on a nothing. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Suppressed

Nope. If one says that someone else is lying and then says and “I have proof” that they are, then it’s put up or shut up time.  Not “I have the proof, but I’m saving it for later”.  That is irrational.

My first thought every time he pulls this garbage is that very succinct 5-word-phrase.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
It sounds to me like President Trump said nothing wrong. And why would you believe anything from a member of the Congressional Black Caucus?

Offline ConservativeGranny

I'm so glad that he has proof. Now he can present it and this can be put to rest. Um. What? There aren't any recordings of this conversation either? What was that Sarah said? There were others in the room? Okay. I would guess that if they heard differently and Trump is lying they will come forward and say so. Right?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Sean Hannity reported today that there were several other people present in the room who overheard the conversation, including Gen. John Kelly. If anyone would raise objections to an insult given to the widow of a dead soldier it would be him.

The congresswoman probably made up the lie from the depths of her Trump hate. I see Trump hate every day, I can spot it a mile away.

Yep.  It was a setup and a sick one at that.  I cannot believe the mother of a fallen soldier participated in this charade.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I would like to think Trump was trying to compliment the deceased soldier's bravery and commitment, but it came out all wrong. 

Maybe Trump should skip the phone calls and just stick to letters written for him by his staff.  He sounds fine when delivering a scripted speech or when someone posts to the official White House Twitter account or if he sends correspondence written for him.  But when he is left to his devices, he sounds like an idiot, or in this case, a monstrously cruel idiot.

He probably got on the phone with a widow who isn't a Trump fan.  I could see it.  He doesn't take criticism very well and he always has to have a more vicious come back.

There is another family who says Trump didn't call them.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline ConservativeGranny

I found Kelly's comments interesting today. He was supposedly one of the people who were there for this conversation. He didn't deny that Trump said what was claimed. I do believe that Trump's comments were misconstrued and used to cause a kerfuffle. They heard what they wanted to hear for their own reasons. That is more disrespectful to the fallen hero than anything Trump said.

Trump should stick to sending letters that someone else has written and screened for him. He is not the person for the personal touch. He is not a good communicator and too prone to making verbal gaffs. He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut either.

Trump made the entire situation worse by saying he had proof that the congresswoman lied when he knew he didn't. Unless you want to I can't see how anyone could take his words to the family as disrespectful. Clumsy perhaps. He should have left well enough alone and let the congresswoman make a fool out of herself.