Author Topic: Virginia governor race: Candidates pull out political heavy hitters as showdown gets nasty  (Read 1149 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Virginia governor race: Candidates pull out political heavy hitters as showdown gets nasty

In a year where coverage of President Trump has generated TV ratings, limitless controversy,  and the world’s scrutiny,

the November 7th Virginia governor’s race between former Republican National Committee Chair Ed Gillespie and Democratic Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam has been gasping for attention.

That may change this week as both campaigns pull out some heavy hitters. President George W. Bush is attending two Gillespie fundraisers on Monday. President Obama is campaigning for Northam on Thursday. That, following weekend appearances by Vice President Mike Pence at a Gillespie rally and former Vice President Joe Biden at an Northam event.

Unknown yet is whether President Trump will campaign for Gillespie.  ........

.........Old school Republican Gillespie has been stepping gingerly on Trump's coattails — not fully embracing the man but generally supporting his policies and campaigning in rural counties where Trump's base is strong....

.........In this race, Trump's outsized ego and influence — good or bad -- is magnified, given that both candidates have been accused of understated, non-charismatic personalities. Those personalities  are not reflected in their in-your-face attack ads. In one such Gillespie ad — the apparent basis of President Trump's tweet —an ominous sounding narrator sounds an alarm.

"Ralph Northam cast the deciding vote in favor of sanctuary cities that let illegal immigrants who commit crime back on the street,” the ad said.

A frequently running Northam ad shows the Democratic candidate calmly and happily saying: "Now, I'm listening carefully to Donald Trump and I think he's a narcissistic maniac."

The latest Real Clear Politics average of polls shows Northam with a lead of 6.8 percent. But Gillespie is confident that will prove badly inaccurate. That sentiment is based upon his experience in the 2014 Virginia Senate race when he ran against incumbent Democratic Senator Mark Warner........

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/16/virginia-governor-race-candidates-pull-out-political-heavy-hitters-as-showdown-gets-nasty.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

This should be interesting.  With GOPe Gillespie as the candidate this time, the state GOP might do something unusual by actually trying to help the GOP candidate win.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Silver Pines

As a Virginian, I am distinctly underwhelmed.

Online Right_in_Virginia

As a Virginian, I am distinctly underwhelmed.

You're not alone.

Offline Frank Cannon

President George W. Bush is attending two Gillespie fundraisers on Monday.

Well, that should be good for Gillespie losing half a million GOP votes.

Online Right_in_Virginia

President George W. Bush is attending two Gillespie fundraisers on Monday.

Well, that should be good for Gillespie losing half a million GOP votes.

Please don't post any more about this.  It'll be difficult enough to pull the lever for Gillespie as it is. 

Offline Frank Cannon

Please don't post any more about this.  It'll be difficult enough to pull the lever for Gillespie as it is.

Don't panic. Gillespie is going to lose. It's the only thing he is very good at doing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:52:36 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline Hoodat

Not any more difficult than the Virginia GOP pulling the lever for McAuliffe just to spite Cuccinelli.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

Not any more difficult than the Virginia GOP pulling the lever for McAuliffe just to spite Cuccinelli.

Who did this?

Online Right_in_Virginia

Don't panic. Gillespie is going to lose. It's the only thing he is very good at doing.

I feel better about my vote.   ^-^

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I'm amazed that George W. Bush is doing this.  He's pretty much stayed out of politics, unlike Clinton and Obama.

He must really like Gillespie.

And, don't kid yourself, there are still a lot of people who really love George W. Bush, including me.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Hoodat

Who did this?

The Virginia GOP raised money in the Commonwealth to help Cuccinelli's campaign.  But instead of helping Cuccinelli (whom they despise), they sent those funds to New Jersey to help Chris Christie's campaign.  All because their anointed - Establishment hack Bill Bolling - lost his primary race to the only Conservative running.

The Virginia GOP has a long history of helping Democrats.  It's simply what they do.  Ever since they openly opposed Oliver North's Senate run, they have shown their true colors.

Silver Pines

Online Right_in_Virginia

The Virginia GOP raised money in the Commonwealth to help Cuccinelli's campaign.  But instead of helping Cuccinelli (whom they despise), they sent those funds to New Jersey to help Chris Christie's campaign.  All because their anointed - Establishment hack Bill Bolling - lost his primary race to the only Conservative running. ...   

I did not know this.   9999hair out0000

I was heartsick when Cuccinelli lost --- and that he lost to the bleeping McAuliffe. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This should be interesting.  With GOPe Gillespie as the candidate this time, the state GOP might do something unusual by actually trying to help the GOP candidate win.

I cannot even tell you how little interest I had in who Virginia elected to anything, but this is interesting.

Why are so-called conservatives so mild and reluctant to support Gillespie?  Okay, he's not a Trump guy but he hasn't opposed him either and has been with him on major issues.

Ralph Northam, on the other hand, is wrong on everything.  He is all out for abortion rights, even late term; He is, or claims to be, a total believer in climate change and would support any crap measure thrown up to prevent you and me from destroying the climate.

He is all out for DACA and sanctuary and doesn't want people in VA to live in fear of being deported. He would fight ICE tooth and nail.

He supports a minimum wage of $15, even though it's been proven to be a disastrous economic move and bad for young people and others who need those low-paying jobs.

He's got this really annoying motto ... 'listening.'  Ugh.  He claims that, as a doctor, he listened and would listen to the people.  Didn't someone else take a listening tour?  Help me on that.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Silver Pines

I cannot even tell you how little interest I had in who Virginia elected to anything, but this is interesting.

Why are so-called conservatives so mild and reluctant to support Gillespie?  Okay, he's not a Trump guy but he hasn't opposed him either and has been with him on major issues.

Ralph Northam, on the other hand, is wrong on everything.  He is all out for abortion rights, even late term; He is, or claims to be, a total believer in climate change and would support any crap measure thrown up to prevent you and me from destroying the climate.

He is all out for DACA and sanctuary and doesn't want people in VA to live in fear of being deported. He would fight ICE tooth and nail.

He supports a minimum wage of $15, even though it's been proven to be a disastrous economic move and bad for young people and others who need those low-paying jobs.

He's got this really annoying motto ... 'listening.'  Ugh.  He claims that, as a doctor, he listened and would listen to the people.  Didn't someone else take a listening tour?  Help me on that.

@Emjay

It's a Virginia thing.  You wouldn't understand.