Author Topic: Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'  (Read 5112 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2017, 02:30:04 am »
Yet that test didn't set Hawaii back "200 years". The damage to Hawaii was far, far less than what is claimed will happen in the source article.

Because the bomb was not big enough. You need something on the order of a Castle Bravo at a minimum distance and location. Everyone thought Castle Bravo would be a six megaton but it ended up to be a 15 megaton(including its designer Ullam-Teller) due to it used lithium 7 instead lithium 6.. Castle Bravo was never tested in space. We have no clue what so ever what they are planning,Everyone thought that North Korea would have a ICBM by this time next year. They now have a functional ICBM.We must prepare for worst and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:37:01 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 02:33:57 am »
A nuclear EMP would be very destructive. Just not as destructive as claimed here. Not all electronic devices are going to be destroyed. The smaller the device the less ability to induce much current/voltage in it to cause damage. Things connected via long wires for power distribution, metallic communications cables are most susceptible. Fiber optic cables are not susceptible to EMP.

The smaller the device the less ability to induce much current/voltage in it to cause damage, but I'll bet it also needs a lot less current to fry.

Again, I don't know how much damage an EMP created from a nuke would cause.  I just enjoy the discussion.  Heck, I might just learn something.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DB

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 02:34:05 am »
Because the bomb was not big enough. You need something on the order of a Castle Bravo at a minimum distance and location. Everyone thought Castle Bravo would be a six megaton but it ended up to be a 15 megaton. Castle Bravo was never tested in space.

1.4 MT isn't small...

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2017, 02:38:36 am »
1.4 MT isn't small...

Everyone thought Castle Bravo would be a six megaton but it ended up to be a 15 megaton(including its designer Ullam-Teller surprised) due to it used lithium 7 instead lithium 6.. Castle Bravo was never tested in space. We have no clue what so ever what they are planning,Everyone thought that North Korea would have a ICBM by this time next year. They now have a functional ICBM.We must prepare for worst and hope for the best.Lastly we do not know how much megatonage they have.We will have to see.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:40:57 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2017, 02:42:38 am »
Everyone thought Castle Bravo would be a six megaton but it ended up to be a 15 megaton(including its designer Ullam-Teller surprised) due to it used lithium 7 instead lithium 6.. Castle Bravo was never tested in space. We have no clue what so ever what they are planning,Everyone thought that North Korea would have a ICBM by this time next year. They now have a functional ICBM.We must prepare for worst and hope for the best.Lastly we do not know how much megatonage they have.We will have to see.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5tmkna-k-U

A short documentary on the nuclear test at Castle Bravo that went awry when it was far larger than expected resulting in widespread radioactive contamination.  This is an updated version (3.0) of our classic film.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:58:21 am by DemolitionMan »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2017, 05:33:09 am »
That simply isn't true.

Most systems are behind an uninterruptible power source that will absorb the shock.
Even long-line transmission - the transformer that blows protects the ones beyond it.
Cars are not grounded, and there isn't enough wire in the system to allow the energy to build and travel.

Much ado about nothing.
Y2K scare all over again.

Most factory production would be smoked, unless those metal prefab buildings act as a faraday cage.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2017, 05:39:50 am »
Most factory production would be smoked, unless those metal prefab buildings act as a faraday cage.

An example of Prefabricated Faraday Cage

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:41:16 am by DemolitionMan »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 10:07:21 am »

I find it hard to believe that factories don't have circuit breakers.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »
I find it hard to believe that factories don't have circuit breakers.

If they're graded to be fast enough to handle it. Most factories run standard stuff.

Even so, if the wave is strong enough, it can fry chips in even an unplugged unit, especially one that is metal housed. The more complex the machine the more likely it is to happen.

Factories that run older stuff would still have some function. The more modern ones that are completely networked and mostly computer controlled would be completely taken out.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »
If they're graded to be fast enough to handle it. Most factories run standard stuff.

Even so, if the wave is strong enough, it can fry chips in even an unplugged unit, especially one that is metal housed. The more complex the machine the more likely it is to happen.

Factories that run older stuff would still have some function. The more modern ones that are completely networked and mostly computer controlled would be completely taken out.

I think that is true - directly under the detonation. Nation-wide - no.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2017, 03:34:08 pm »
Lots of claims few facts. Yes testing was done. None of that testing suggested that the entire country would be wiped out and 90% would die from a single EMP attack. SK does have much to fear no doubt. And if EMP was so effective, using one on SK would wipe out NK too.

If NK had any significant electronics that would be true, but most of that country has no electricity and certainly doesnt have advanced electronics
The small amount they do have necessary to the military would be fairly easy to shield
God is still in control

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2017, 03:37:42 pm »
I think that is true - directly under the detonation. Nation-wide - no.

I know it's a factor of the size of the bomb and the altitude detonated. It takes megatons and a couple of hundred miles up to get a large area I believe.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2017, 07:40:55 pm »
I know it's a factor of the size of the bomb and the altitude detonated. It takes megatons and a couple of hundred miles up to get a large area I believe.

As I said, regardless, I think it largely exaggerated.

But, It is quite possible that a few months from now, I'll be cooking fish over a campfire, and eating beans out of my bushpot, saying, "huh... well whaddya know... "  :shrug: :whistle: