Author Topic: Trump: FEMA can't stay in Puerto Rico forever  (Read 839 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: FEMA can't stay in Puerto Rico forever
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:35:33 pm »
By Olivia Beavers - 10/12/17 07:29 AM EDT

President Trump on Thursday warned that this administration's response to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico cannot last "forever."

"We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!" Trump wrote in a series of tweets.

He added that the island territory's existing debt and infrastructure issues compounded problems.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/355064-trump-fema-cant-stay-in-puerto-rico-forever
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trump: FEMA can't stay in Puerto Rico forever
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:39 pm »
Just build a bridge to PR so the gravy train can keep chuggin
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:06 pm »
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon

He wanted Puerto Rico to bow down and praise him for sending help (which any President would have to do), then wanted them to go away, he was through with them.  Until their grid is up they will stay without running water and gasoline at stations.  There are some generators there but that keeps requiring fuel to run them.  People with no house left, are in terrible circumstance to have to depend on others for survival.  When the grid is back, they can begin to reconstruct their houses.  At this time, people are getting sick from drinking water out of streams and lakes; there are dead animals in that water along with other contaminates and some people will die from this.  I just saw 80% there do not have power yet.

Puerto Rico is a perfect example of what happens if this country is attacked by an NEMP.  The grid goes down across the country if the NEMP is set off in the upper atmosphere in the center of the country.  We would be as Puerto Rico but with no way to fix the grid.  Our houses would still be standing but there would be no power and no gasoline and no water in the pipes after three days and no food being delivered to grocery stores just as happened in Puerto Rico.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:04:03 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »
He must state the obvious to head off the inevitable denunciations for eventually pulling the troops and civilian agencies.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 02:08:08 pm »
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon

He wanted Puerto Rico to bow down and praise him for sending help (which any President would have to do), then wanted them to go away, he was through with them. 

The Trump hate is strong in this one. Maybe Puerto Ricans should fix Puerto Ricos'
long standing problems. Just a thought.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »

The Trump hate is strong in this one. Maybe Puerto Ricans should fix Puerto Ricos'
long standing problems
. Just a thought.

Hey, they can’t do that, ‘cause, well, Trump.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »
Hey, they can’t do that, ‘cause, well, Trump.

but hey they can pump out those tshirts

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon

He wanted Puerto Rico to bow down and praise him for sending help (which any President would have to do), then wanted them to go away, he was through with them.  Until their grid is up they will stay without running water and gasoline at stations.  There are some generators there but that keeps requiring fuel to run them.  People with no house left, are in terrible circumstance to have to depend on others for survival.  When the grid is back, they can begin to reconstruct their houses.  At this time, people are getting sick from drinking water out of streams and lakes; there are dead animals in that water along with other contaminates and some people will die from this.  I just saw 80% there do not have power yet.

Puerto Rico is a perfect example of what happens if this country is attacked by an NEMP.  The grid goes down across the country if the NEMP is set off in the upper atmosphere in the center of the country.  We would be as Puerto Rico but with no way to fix the grid.  Our houses would still be standing but there would be no power and no gasoline and no water in the pipes after three days and no food being delivered to grocery stores just as happened in Puerto Rico.

@Victoria33
You can actually do more than one thing at a time.   For example you can rebuild your shack while waiting for the grid to be restored up.   You can clear roads, you can clear storm debris.

Their infrastructure was failing before this storm.  Now they have unions trying to use this as leverage and a host of other problems.   Speaking as someone who has lived through multiple hurricanes they need to get off their butts and help themselves.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:40:22 pm »
Puerto Rico has been a dump for years -- long before this hurricane.  The US has been pouring huge amounts of money into the country with nothing to show for it.  Why should the US bail out this territory forever?  Yes, I know Puerto Rico is an American territory, but since it periodically cries out for statehood, maybe it should conduct itself like a state.  None of the states affected by this year's hurricanes will enjoy government largesse for these hurricanes forever.  Why should PR be any different?

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »
@Victoria33
You can actually do more than one thing at a time.   For example you can rebuild your shack while waiting for the grid to be restored up.   You can clear roads, you can clear storm debris.

Their infrastructure was failing before this storm.  Now they have unions trying to use this as leverage and a host of other problems.   Speaking as someone who has lived through multiple hurricanes they need to get off their butts and help themselves.
@driftdiver

If you don't have water, 100% of your time is finding it for you and your family so you won't be dead in five days.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:38 pm »
Puerto Rico has been a dump for years -- long before this hurricane.  The US has been pouring huge amounts of money into the country with nothing to show for it.  Why should the US bail out this territory forever?  Yes, I know Puerto Rico is an American territory, but since it periodically cries out for statehood, maybe it should conduct itself like a state.  None of the states affected by this year's hurricanes will enjoy government largesse for these hurricanes forever.  Why should PR be any different?

Good point. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:54 pm »
Basically telling Puerto Ricans and their purported "government" to get busy fixing things instead of just complaining (Mayor of San Juan)...there needs to be some demonstrable self-reliance on the part of Puerto Ricans taking place in all this.

If there is union corruption (teamsters) involved in not distributing supplies, then Puerto Ricans needs to be breaking out the tar and feathers...if local government officials spend more time making t-shirts and hats vs. doing their jobs, fire their sorry a$$es and replace them with someone who will.

I see nothing wrong in Trump putting this out there.  It's a fair warning.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
888high58888
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »
@driftdiver

If you don't have water, 100% of your time is finding it for you and your family so you won't be dead in five days.

Keep in mind, that back in May of this year;  months before the hurricane hit, safe drinking water was already a concern in Puerto Rico. ...." The drinking water fails lead safety regulations, while 70 percent of the island is served by water that violates federal health standards. The government-run water utility also routinely fails to conduct the required safety tests, while failing the safety tests they do conduct, according to a new NRDC report.

Following the NRDC's May water safety report, data provided to NBC News showed San Juan, Puerto Rico to be the worst big-city water system in the nation. There, the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority (PRASA) had more violations than any other big city, with 64 safety violations, including 24 different health violations, in 2015. .....

Once again, restoration to Puerto Rico is not going to happen over night. There is no genie in a bottle that is going to restore the whole island. The restoration is going to take many years; not weeks.  FEMA just gave $70M for water restoration amid safety concerns...the water supplied by AAA complies with the standards of the Health Department, there have been ruptures along the pipes that can cause contamination and noted the call is for prevention.....around 63 percent of the island currently has potable water, a number that has been slowly increasing ....

.....The EPA, which has authorized a total of $210 million in aid to Puerto Rico, urges citizens to purify water until further notice to prevent gastrointestinal outbreaks and other diseases.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/puerto-rico-crisis/fema-gives-70m-puerto-rico-water-restoration-amid-safety-concerns-n809801

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/report-puerto-rico-s-drinking-water-brink-crisis-n756906
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:02:57 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:18:51 pm »
When he's right, he's right. PR has neither maintained nor improved infrastructure for decades. There were serious issues before the hurricane hit.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »
By Olivia Beavers - 10/12/17 07:29 AM EDT

President Trump on Thursday warned that this administration's response to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico cannot last "forever."

"We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!" Trump wrote in a series of tweets.

He added that the island territory's existing debt and infrastructure issues compounded problems.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/355064-trump-fema-cant-stay-in-puerto-rico-forever

Threatening to essentially abandon US citizens after a natural disaster?  Unheard of. This shit-show just gets more embarrassing every day.
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 11:31:52 pm »
He must state the obvious to head off the inevitable denunciations for eventually pulling the troops and civilian agencies.

Exactly. We can't keep these emergency assets there forever because A) We are going to need them for other emergencies and B) this type of assistance is super expensive. Time for the Ricans to get their own shit together.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 11:40:43 pm »
Anyone that lives in Hurricane Alley knows that they should be prepped for such an occasion.  Does it suck?  Yep.  Oh well, that's price you pay for making your home in such a location.  Time to get to work.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 01:42:35 am »
Back some years ago when I first heard of the Puerto Rican "independence" movement, first thing I thought was... "great!".

Still thinking that.
Cut 'em loose.
See how well they do as an independent country.

They'd probably be better off.
They could renounce their debt, then apply for foreign aid, which (of course) would be given without expectation that it would ever be paid back...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:17:55 am »
Threatening to essentially abandon US citizens after a natural disaster?  Unheard of. This shit-show just gets more embarrassing every day.
Unfortunately, he is between the proverbial rock and a hard place, and the liberal mayor of San Juan knows it. Failure to give aid will make him appear to have refused it to "hispanics" and the Libs will make political hay of that despite much of the situation there being due to mismanagement by those same liberals.

He would do best to work with (as much as possible) those who will work with him to address the issues the Island has, rather than those who have mismanaged things. Trying to restore the failing infrastructure to where it was before the hurricanes makes little sense: it likely would have failed (what wasn't already failing) without the storms. So rebuilding it better is the only real option for a long term solution, and that is going to take money.
Unfortunately, that takes determination to do the right thing, even for people whose government may not deserve it, and do it well, as a matter of principle. After all, we're Americans, and if we can do this for people in other countries, we can do it for our own.
In the meantime, the corruption and/or misfeasance in Puerto Rico should be exposed, and the people there informed that that is the real source of their problems, not the government on the mainland.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis