Author Topic: NFL owners to mull anthem rules as Trump ups protest criticism  (Read 495 times)

rangerrebew

NFL owners to mull anthem rules as Trump ups protest criticism
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:00 am »
NFL owners to mull anthem rules as Trump ups protest criticism

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - NFL team owners will consider requiring football players to stand for the U.S. national anthem after President Donald Trump on Tuesday suggested using tax laws to penalize the league for players who kneel in protest of racial injustice.
Trump, a Republican, escalated his feud with the National Football League in a Twitter post asking if the league should get tax breaks while some athletes kneel in protest when the “Star-Spangled Banner” is played at the start of each game.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-anthem/nfl-owners-to-mull-anthem-rules-as-trump-ups-protest-criticism-idUSKBN1CF15W
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:28:34 am by rangerrebew »

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: NFL owners to mull anthem rules as Trump ups protest criticism
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »
It's starting to cool down, with more and more teams back to 100% standing. Trump needs to keep his trap shut and let the owners do their job, now that they have some direction from the NFL.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »
I gotta hand it to Trump, he's making them back down.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:03:08 pm »
I've got to hand it to Limbaugh today for blasting Trump for overreaching gov. authority in asking teams to fire players who are protesting during game time.  As Limbaugh iterated, it is not the gov's business to tell private businesses what to do with their employees.
I'm on Trump's side as far as the general issue, but he should leave it at that. He's sounding too much like a dictator with some of his utterances. He should back off  demanding owners do things.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
It's starting to cool down, with more and more teams back to 100% standing. Trump needs to keep his trap shut and let the owners do their job, now that they have some direction from the NFL.

@NavyCanDo
Why would he do that, he's winning?  He's making the leftists in charge of the NFL and the MSM eat a great big heaping serving of uncooked crow. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »
@NavyCanDo
Why would he do that, he's winning?  He's making the leftists in charge of the NFL and the MSM eat a great big heaping serving of uncooked crow.
He's right in general, but he should stop with the demanding owners fire players. That is not the business of the gov. ...he sounds too much like a tinpot, banana republic dictator when he does that.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »
He's right in general, but he should stop with the demanding owners fire players. That is not the business of the gov. ...he sounds too much like a tinpot, banana republic dictator when he does that.

He was probably just looking for an excuse to use his "You're Fired" line
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 05:23:20 pm »
He was probably just looking for an excuse to use his "You're Fired" line
I think overall Trump has won....the owners and players have found out the majority of the country won't stand (or kneel) for their idiot shenanigans. But Trump has to learn the limits of prez power.  Telling businesses what to do with employees  is not one of his prescribed powers.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:34:56 pm »

Until he opened his pie hole the NFL was down to only a handful of players and there protest was fading from the news.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:36 pm »
NavyCanDo wrote:
"It's starting to cool down, with more and more teams back to 100% standing. Trump needs to keep his trap shut and let the owners do their job, now that they have some direction from the NFL."

As I predicted a while back, this was an easy win for Mr. Trump, and a most important one as well.

Suddenly a major media/economic organization was forcibly "called out" on the issue by the president, an out-and-out bare knuckle fight. And who came out on top?

This entire brouhaha has been an exercise in "how to fight the leftists-communists and win", for a change.

Frankly, Mr. Trump should keep the hammer down, until those idiots at the NFL start squealin'...

(never watched 'em anyway -- zero interest in football)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:11 pm »
Until he opened his pie hole the NFL was down to only a handful of players and there protest was fading from the news.

You don't get what is happening here. It was dying down but the issue wasn't resolved. Because of Donny we have definite lines being drawn and actions being taken. The silent majority has been more than heard here and they are being listened too.

This is the first of I hope many battles against cultural rot in this country. 

MAGA
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:45:57 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »
I think overall Trump has won....the owners and players have found out the majority of the country won't stand (or kneel) for their idiot shenanigans. But Trump has to learn the limits of prez power.  Telling businesses what to do with employees  is not one of his prescribed powers.

His statement came out as a twit, IIRC.  Did it come from his personal account, or from POTUS?

Yes, a person should be more careful about what they say when they assume office, but they don't need to give up their right to state their personal opinion as long as they don't represent it as being "official".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.