Author Topic: (If the USA is not in the World Cup, who do you cheer for?) World Cup 2018: Who has qualified for Russia, who still has games to play and which countries are in the play-offs?  (Read 489 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
If the USA is not in the World Cup, who do you cheer for? Okay, we get it, some call soccer gay and worse, so this is for those who might actually like the sport or world cup spectacle.

Daily Telegraph:
World Cup 2018: Who has qualified for Russia, who still has games to play and which countries are in the play-offs?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/0/world-cup-2018-has-qualified-russia-still-has-games-play-countries1/

Okay, I will sum up who has advanced to the World Cup with some positions still to be decided:

Russia, host, automatic berth.

QUALIFIED:
Brazil
Iran
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Belgium
Germany
England
Poland
Costa Rica
Nigeria
Egypt
Iceland
Serbia
Spain
France
Portugal
Panama
Argentina
Uruguay
Colombia

Who could still qualify, they must go through a two-legged playoff against another country:

Europe:

Sweden
Switzerland
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Italy
Greece
Croatia

Honduras
Australia (these two teams will play each other to decide who will go)

Peru
New Zealand
Morocco
Ivory Coast
Burkina Faso
Senegal

See article for other possibilities.

-------------------------------------------

I can enjoy almost every team:

I will like Poland, England, unlike some others, I don't mind being for Mexico or others in the USA's own CONCACAF group, so that means, Panama and Costa Rica too.  Costa Rica has been very spirited and did very well last time.  I've liked the Red Devils, meaning Belgium going back to the 1986 World Cup, so that means? 30 years.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:38:57 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

I'm pulling for Burkina Faso.  I feel bad for them having no coast, and I'd really like to see them get together with the Welsh and have a vowel/consonant exchange for their capital.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's so early now, a lot of people got to be fans of Iceland at the last Euro Cup in 2014.

I have cheered on Ireland, Greece, Nigeria as my African team.

Ireland and Greece have been lackluster a bit on the world stage.

Croatia has played very well, Serbia is in there, I can get behind these teams... so actually, most of the countries I like; and can just enjoy the spectacle.

How teams usually do is almost predictable.