Author Topic: Utah police officer fired after handcuffing, dragging nurse from hospital  (Read 423 times)

Offline endicom

Fox 6
AP
Oct. 10, 2017

UTAH — A Utah police officer has been fired after handcuffing and dragging a nurse from a hospital.

A Salt Lake City police spokesman said Chief Mike Brown made the decision Tuesday following an investigation into Detective Jeff Payne, who made the arrest that became a flashpoint in the ongoing national conversation about police use of force. Payne’s lawyer, Greg Skordas, has pointed to the officer’s decorated 27-year history and questioned whether his behavior warranted termination.

Payne in early September was fired from his job as a part-time paramedic. Now, he’s been fired from the police department.

More... http://fox6now.com/2017/10/10/utah-police-officer-fired-after-handcuffing-dragging-nurse-from-hospital/

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
I am of the opinion that the firing is appropriate.

Offline endicom

I am of the opinion that the firing is appropriate.

I agree. Although, part of me regrets seeing someone lose two jobs and a 27 year career.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

I agree. Although, part of me regrets seeing someone lose two jobs and a 27 year career.
I remember a line in the novel, The Godfather, about caporegime Tessio being led away
to his execution after he betrayed Michael Corleone: "It was too bad that so intelligent a man made
such a fatal error in judgement so late in life."

I could say likewise for a police officer making so bad an error in judgment so late in an otherwise
fine career. Except that he won't be led away to be executed.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline endicom

I remember a line in the novel, The Godfather, about caporegime Tessio being led away
to his execution after he betrayed Michael Corleone: "It was too bad that so intelligent a man made
such a fatal error in judgement so late in life."

I could say likewise for a police officer making so bad an error in judgment so late in an otherwise
fine career. Except that he won't be led away to be executed.

If it was a fine career. Maybe he has always been a bully. But I never like seeing people lose jobs.

Offline RoosGirl

Good.

Online DB

What he did wasn't a minor thing. A fundamental violation of someones rights because she refused his unlawful orders. Hopefully he can revive his paramedic career. Otherwise he should not be in a position of authority over others.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What he did wasn't a minor thing. A fundamental violation of someones rights because she refused his unlawful orders. Hopefully he can revive his paramedic career. Otherwise he should not be in a position of authority over others.
Yep. I hope he learns form this, instead of blames others.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis