Author Topic: Flashback 1980: Paul Ehrlich calls oil ‘a resource which we know damn well is going to be gone in 20 or 30 years’ (By year 2000 or 2010)  (Read 687 times)

rangerrebew

Flashback 1980: Paul Ehrlich calls oil ‘a resource which we know damn well is going to be gone in 20 or 30 years’ (By year 2000 or 2010)

Ehrlich 1980: 'Do we really want to threaten to blow up the world over a resource which we know damn well is going to be gone in 20 or 30 years anyway?'

'Every country is now overpopulated.'

'There is a finite pie. The more mice you have nibbling at it the smaller every mouses' share.'

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotOctober 2, 2017 9:57 AM with 0 comments

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson –  Episode aired 31 January 31, 1980

Paul Ehrlich interviewed by Johnny Carson:

Excerpts:

Ehrlich on Middle East Conflict in 1980: “Do we really want to threaten to blow up the world over a resource which we know damn well is going to be gone in 20 or 30 years anyway? In other words, it’s not like we are not sucking that oil out of the ground…All we are doing is moving the timetable up.”

http://www.climatedepot.com/2017/10/02/flashback-1980-paul-ehrlich-calls-oil-a-resource-which-we-know-damn-well-is-going-to-be-gone-in-20-or-30-years-by-year-2000-or-2010/

Online DB

The left is always pushing to move us back to the stone age by reducing everyone's standard of living. We can't have people living too well... It isn't fair... When each dire prediction fails they move on to another one as if their previous predictions didn't exist. Now they're latched on to "climate change" as their cause to roll everyone's living standard back. In the past when we didn't run out of oil or food or water or whatever their claims were it made them look like idiots and they had to come up with something else all over again. This time no matter what happens, cold, hot, rain, dry, storms, no storms, etc. it all proves their case they demand... "Science" where everything proves them right no matter what... And the idiots claim that's settled science...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I was a geology undergrad at the time, and I well remember the graph showing 25 years of oil left.

Offline Joe Wooten

I was a geology undergrad at the time, and I well remember the graph showing 25 years of oil left.

I remember back in 1978 Petroleum Engineering and geology professors at UT Austin saying there was a LOT of oil left, at least a 100 year supply if the price stayed high enough and US prices were decontrolled.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I got out in '73 and I recall people telling me why did I get a Petroleum Engineering degree as we had only ten years of oil left in the world.

Am now retired after 42 years in the business, and we have more oil produced than we thought existed back then, and the largest reserves in the history of the world.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Has this guy ever been right about anything? I distinctly remember him hyping mass starvation was going to occur in the 80's because the Erf could not sustain the growing population, just another liberal fear monger.

Offline Frank Cannon

Has this guy ever been right about anything? I distinctly remember him hyping mass starvation was going to occur in the 80's because the Erf could not sustain the growing population, just another liberal fear monger.

When Paul says something, bet on the opposite happening. He is a class A moron and the fun part is that he is still alive to see all of his prognostications turn into punch lines.

Offline Joe Wooten

When Paul says something, bet on the opposite happening. He is a class A moron and the fun part is that he is still alive to see all of his prognostications turn into punch lines.

He completely misses that irony. He lost that famous bet he made with a conservative economist and now tries to deny he ever made that bet.