Author Topic: Woman standing up to cyclist who smashed into her on Centennial Trail  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Millee

A speeding bicyclist has taken away something dear to Virginia Pearsall.

“I can’t feel safe on the trail anymore,” said the 67-year-old Spokane woman on Friday walking with a slight limp and her left arm in a sling.

The Spokane River Centennial Trail running through Kendall Yards was a major attraction for Pearsall and her husband to move into the development overlooking the Spokane River Gorge.

“I walk the trail almost every day,” she said Friday. “Or at least I did.”

On Sept. 22, Pearsall was walking near Trail Milepost 24 at Nettleton Street with her sister when she heard someone behind her yell, “Hot pizza!”

“I didn’t know what that meant, but I thought it might be a bicyclist,” she said. Her dog, Rags, was on leash just in front of her and her sister was by her side. They were taking up less than half of the paved trail, she said.

Excerp.  Read more at:  http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/oct/08/woman-standing-up-to-cyclist-who-smashed-into-her-/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:32:54 pm by Mod2 »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Woman standing up to cyclist who smashed into her on Centennial Trail
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
Only losers who can't afford a car ride bikes. I hope she sues this guy and takes everything he owns....in his moms basement.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:34:15 pm »
Well, this Haller fellow is a complete jerk.  I think he deserves having a couple dozen broken bones.  And I hope Pearsall sues his pants off.

This incident is a reflection on the further disintegration of our society (thank you, leftist morons).

We have a good friend who has tended our bike trail for years as a volunteer and has finally quit because of the number of bikers that put him in danger, and not only that, but yelled at him for being in their way.  (While he was cutting branches that could do them bodily harm if not removed).

When the bike trail becomes dangerous because of jerks on bikes, we are in serious trouble.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Millee

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:35:18 pm »
Only losers who can't afford a car ride bikes. I hope she sues this guy and takes everything he owns....in his moms basement.

From his FB page - "So first ride without the brace and some pedestrian wouldn't move!! Centennial trial is not yours alone pedestrians!! When someone yells on your left or hot pizza maybe turn around instead of walking 3 wife with your strollers and dogs blocking the whole trail! !! F#&@!!!!!! I wish I had my go pro to document the stupidity."

I hope she takes him to the cleaners.   :chairbang:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:43:10 pm »

Agree. How this moron imagined he had anything like the right of way is amazing. Someone needs to seize his bike before he finally kills someone.

Love the avatar.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:46:07 pm »
“I hate to slow down,” Haller said when asked why he didn’t. “Most of the time people move. These people wouldn’t move,” he added noting that the moms with strollers were part of the problem, too.

“It’s a regrettable thing that happened. It didn’t need to happen for a lot of reasons and not just mine. I don’t like the fact that I hit her, but I did.”

Haller said he calls it a good day when he makes it home without an accident. “I’ve broken 25 bones,” he said. “When I lived in LA, a doctor asked me if I was a stunt man.”

Not only did he open his mouth to reveal a complete and total d-bag, he just incriminated himself in any civil suit against him.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:58:13 pm »
....So first ride without the brace and some pedestrian wouldn’t move!!....

Hey loser, pedestrians are required to move.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:04:42 pm »
Hard core bicycling is an intense sport.   I've known a few of them and every single one that trained extensively was an a-hole.   Every single one.

I think its because of the training.   They spend hours upon hours focused on nothing but themselves and shutting everything else out.   They train themselves to ignore pain and lose the ability to empathize with other people.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »
I wonder if Justin also goes by "Jef".

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 05:17:23 pm »
I've got nothing against bikers in the right circumstances.  I don't like the idea of them barrelling down walking paths in state parks or on state trails. I've almost been run down myself by crazy bikers in a state park.
The idea of a state park should be hikers and campers and NOT!!! bike fanatics  who put walkers in danger.
But the state park system makes money off bikers, so they're not about to ban them.
I've just learned that there are certain state park paths I have to avoid or risk injury.

Offline Millee

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 05:20:01 pm »
I wonder if Justin also goes by "Jef".

Awesome! 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 05:22:00 pm »
Only losers who can't afford a car ride bikes.

On this point, I beg to differ......

Wounded vets, some without limbs - riding 100K:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 05:31:42 pm »
Where is Wingnut?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 05:32:38 pm »
I have been knocked to the ground twice, in California State Parks by the beach.

First time trip to emergency, but nothing broken. The guy who hit me while I was running, was in an after-work "peloton" of several riders.

Second time four years ago, hit by unknown source, fractured shoulder, plate and ten screws, three surgeries,, countless painful hours of physical therapy.

The signs say 5 mph speed limit when pedestrians are present but no effort is used to slow down 250 lb. men going 30 mph on electric bikes, or Olympic wanna-bees either.

Irarely wish harm to others, but this was an exception, whereby I fantasized about using a wire stretched across the trail, to take a few of them down. Still think of it once in awhile.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 05:39:59 pm »
Where is Wingnut?

I was wondering the same thing...... 

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »
@Frank Cannon What a completely rude and ignorant comment. I used to do Triathlons. The second component is the bike. Some of these bikes cost over $10,000 which is on par with some cars.
That being said the cyclist was completely in the wrong and should have his @$$ sued off. Pedestrians have the right of way and if you are not in completel control of the bike you should not be riding.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:11 pm »
@Frank Cannon What a completely rude and ignorant comment. I used to do Triathlons. The second component is the bike. Some of these bikes cost over $10,000 which is on par with some cars.
That being said the cyclist was completely in the wrong and should have his @$$ sued off. Pedestrians have the right of way and if you are not in completel control of the bike you should not be riding.
I too used to do marathons, centuries, and triathlons. (2:55 was best marathon at age 39 btw)

And as I stated above, I fantasize a little,, about clotheslining an errant cyclist from time to time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 05:55:11 pm »
Where is Wingnut?
I went to a music thread he started and it shows his as a guest with no clickable profile. He hasn't been around in a while.  :shrug:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:52 pm »

@verga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsPlHtp65rE

Offline musiclady

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline verga

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:05:56 pm »
@verga

@Frank Cannon Must be hard for you to drive with your head that far up your rectum.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 07:07:14 pm »
@Frank Cannon Must be hard for you to drive with your head that far up your rectum.

You do know that bicyclist are the most hated people on the road. Even more hated than Subaru drivers.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:46 pm »
Pittsburgh put in bicycle lanes downtown for the millennials who are living there in overpriced, crappy apartments and condos.  These young people think the rules of the road don't apply to them.  Watched one woman trying to cross the street (she had the walk signal) nearly get flattened by not one, but two cyclists.  When I was a young thing, I was taught to obey laws just like a motorist -- stop at stop signs and red lights, for example.  But these millennials think the rules don't apply to them.