Author Topic: Ten of the Deadliest Attack Submarines in the World  (Read 743 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Ten of the Deadliest Attack Submarines in the World
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:13:31 am »
What are the best attack submarines in the world? Can you really call a war machine great? Shut up and tell me which ones are the best! Ok, let's find out. Using an analysis of the vessel's offensive capability, stealth and other features we'll explore some of the most advanced machines in the world. Yeah right, they have to look the business too!

Designed and built to hunt and destroy hostile submarines and ships, they are the wolfs of the sea. They must have great sonar in order to detect their prey. Combined with this, attack submarines need to close on their targets with the minimal chance of detection. Clearly, once they've struck, they need to clear the area equally as stealthily. Who knows what anti-submarine ships or aircraft are skulking around. Some of the more modern hunters have cruise missile payloads for both ships and land-based targets. To be most effective a great submarine must combine these attributes.

The following are our selection of ten of the greatest attack submarines in the world. Feel free to add your suggestions in the comments. Now I'm in the mood to watch The Hunt for Red October.

Attack Submarines:  Seawolf Class (USA)
Entered Service: 1997
Diving Depth: 487m
Weaponry: Mk. 48 Torpedoes, Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles and Tomahawk cruise missiles

Arguably the best attack submarine in the world. The US Seawolf is a very expensive but highly advanced weapon of war. They were designed and built to restore lost technological superiority after the mid-1980's. Their primary perceived victims were the Typhoon and Akula class submarines.

Initially, 12 vessels were planned for construction but only 3 were actually realized. All three are currently still in active service. After this time the US Navy switched to the cheaper Virginia Class subs. These subs are exceptionally quiet even at high speeds. Most ships need to travel at less than 5 knots to avoid detection but this class can cruise at speeds of 20 knots and still avoid detection. These vessels can operate at greater depths than existing subs and under the polar ice caps. A pretty formidable submarine by all accounts.

https://interestingengineering.com/ten-deadliest-attack-submarines-world
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline jpsb

Re: Ten of the Deadliest Attack Submarines in the World
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:22:27 am »
@Demolition Man link does not work. Always a good idea to test the link before posting.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:28:09 am »
Quote from: jpsb link=topic=28,5196.msg1477598#msg1477598 date=1507620147
@Demolition Man link does not work. Always a good idea to test the link before posting.

I just tried it. It works, Its something on your end.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:29:17 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline jpsb

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:05:38 am »
I just tried it. It works, Its something on your end.

Hmmm, I get Your connection is not secure with Firefox
and 403 Forbidden with Opera.

Well thanks for looking into it. Could be the problem is with my ISP.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:09:00 am »
Hmmm, I get Your connection is not secure with Firefox
and 403 Forbidden with Opera.

Well thanks for looking into it. Could be the problem is with my ISP.

Everything is all right here

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:36:38 pm »
I tried it and it worked just fine.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:43:56 pm »
I tried it and it worked just fine.

I agree with you Scott