Author Topic: Trumps mulls DMZ tour next month  (Read 512 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Trumps mulls DMZ tour next month
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:22:16 am »

By Yonhap

US President Donald Trump may travel to the inter-Korean border in early November when he visits South Korea, a defense source said Tuesday.

The White House dispatched an advance team of working-level officials in late September to check candidate sites for Trump's "special activity" here, according to the source.

"They looked around Panmunjom and Observation Post Ouellette," the source said on the condition of anonymity.

Trump is expected to send a significant message to North Korea, either verbally or "kinetically," during his first trip to the peninsula as US commander-in-chief."Trump will likely do something like that and his aides are making the relevant preparations," added the source.

He is scheduled to visit Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam and the Philippines starting Nov. 2. No exact itinerary has yet been announced.

The truce village of Panmunjom and the observation post, both located inside the heavily-fortified Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), are among facilities Trump is considering visiting.

"He may instead visit frontline islands such as Yeonpyeong-do or Baengnyeong-do. I am not sure whether the advance team went there, too," said the source.

If Trumps opts for Panmunjom, where pistol-carrying North Korean soldiers stand guard just a stone's throw away, it would raise greater security concerns.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20171010000548
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Trumps mulls DMZ tour next month
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:31:56 pm »
Other presidents have visited S. Korea, but I don't believe any president has visited Panmunjom and I think this is a gutsy move by Trump especially when tension between N. Korea and the U.S. is so high.  This certainly has the potential to put Kim Jong-un's knickers in a twist.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.