Author Topic: A Patriot Missile Shot Down a Quadcopter in an Impressive But Wildly Expensive Shot  (Read 536 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

By Kyle Mizokami

A leading U.S. Army general has revealed a multi-million-dollar air defense missile was recently used to shoot down a consumer-grade quadcopter drone. The downing calls into question the adequacy of government anti-drone defenses worldwide and a lack of cost-effective responses to the emerging weaponized drone threat.

The incident was announced by General David Perkins at the Association of the U.S. Army's Global Force symposium in Alabama. A former brigade commander who led the famous "Thunder Run" into Baghdad in 2003, Perkins now leads the Army's Training and Doctrine Command.

The Islamic State has been using quadcopters for reconnaissance and lately rigging them to drop hand grenades and other small explosive munitions. They are typically available from sites such as Amazon, costing $200 and up.The Patriot missile, meanwhile, was originally designed in the 1970s to provide air defense over U.S. Army units. Patriot first came to prominence in 1991, when it was used to shoot down several Scud missiles fired at U.S. forces in Saudi Arabia, the success of which is disputed. The version of the missile used in the incident, PAC-2, costs between $2 and $4 million each.

Perkins didn't provide any details, but there were several places the whole thing could have taken place. It could have been a Hezbollah or Hamas drone shot down by Israel, or a Houthi rebel drone shot down by the United Arab Emirates.

On technical grounds, the shootdown is impressive. Although Patriot PAC-2 missiles a range of nearly 100 miles, but quadcopters fly quite low to the ground, a few hundred feet up and rarely more than a few thousand. A quadcopter also has a tiny radar signature that can be difficult to pick out. The tiny consumer drone is almost certainly the smallest target ever engaged by Patriot.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a25694/patriot-shot-down-quad-expensive/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Like swatting a mosquito with a sledgehammer--and a single use hammer at that. Still, no small feat.
What's next? Hunter drones?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

Like swatting a mosquito with a sledgehammer--and a single use hammer at that. Still, no small feat.
What's next? Hunter drones?

I cannot believe about the price. A multi million dollar missile for a $200 item. But its worth it. ISIS is starting to learn how to pack explosives on these drones. But it did prove that the PATRIOT missile is very effective.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:47:52 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

I cannot believe about the price. A multi million dollar missile for a $200 item. But its worth it. ISIS is starting to learn how to pack explosives on these drones. But it did prove that the PATRIOT missile is very effective.

They should have an Iron Dome system as a backup.

Offline Smokin Joe

With the large number of R/C aircraft available, there should be an off the shelf or inexpensively modifiable version out there that could be used to knock the quads out of the sky.

It is becoming a problem here at home, too: (It doesn't necessarily have to be weaponized to FOD the engine)

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,285208.0/topicseen.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:57:23 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

With the large number of R/C aircraft available, there should be an off the shelf or inexpensively modifiable version out there that could be used to knock the quads out of the sky.

Iron Dome was designed to knock off a size of a artillery shell or use this.The Marine Corps wants to 3D print cheaper drones

https://www.popsci.com/marine-corps-3d-printed-drones

Offline Smokin Joe

Iron Dome was designed to knock off a size of a artillery shell or use this.The Marine Corps wants to 3D print cheaper drones

https://www.popsci.com/marine-corps-3d-printed-drones
The Marines have been doing more with less for a long time. I think it is a great idea.

C S Lewis