Author Topic: Free MIT Course Teaches You to Watch Movies Like a Critic: Watch Lectures from The Film Experience  (Read 434 times)

Offline Suppressed

Free MIT Course Teaches You to Watch Movies Like a Critic: Watch Lectures from The Film Experience
in Film, Online Courses | April 12th, 2016
http://www.openculture.com/2016/04/free-mit-course-teaches-you-to-watch-movies-like-a-critic-watch-lectures-from-the-film-experience.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFOsw1Vccac

We all have our favorite film critics. Maybe we gravitated to them because they write well or because they share our tastes, but the very best of them — the critics we read even on genres and directors we otherwise wouldn't care about — make us see movies in a new way. Specifically, they make us see them the way they do, and the point of view of a professional critic steeped in cinema history and theory (not to mention the thousands and thousands of hours of actual film they've watched) will always have a richness that the casual moviegoer can't hope to enjoy on his/her own.

[...]

Excerpt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I guess the question is, why would I want to watch movies like a critic? Most of them are too painfully out of touch to be of use for the casual viewer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

These wouldn't be the same critics who raved about "My Dinner With Andre" would they?