Author Topic: Change behaviors by changing perception of normal  (Read 816 times)

rangerrebew

Change behaviors by changing perception of normal
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:32 am »

October 6, 2017 by Milenko Martinovich

Whether it be for the environment, one's health or other important causes, convincing people to adopt new or uncommon behaviors can be difficult. One reason is that societal norms powerfully reinforce the status quo.

Stanford researchers suggest a subtle shift in messaging can help. In new research that appeared Sept. 29 in Psychological Science, they find that focusing on how norms are changing can help people alter their behaviors.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-10-behaviors-perception.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Change behaviors by changing perception of normal
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:33:10 am »
October 6, 2017 by Milenko Martinovich

Whether it be for the environment, one's health or other important causes, convincing people to adopt new or uncommon behaviors can be difficult. One reason is that societal norms powerfully reinforce the status quo.

Stanford researchers suggest a subtle shift in messaging can help. In new research that appeared Sept. 29 in Psychological Science, they find that focusing on how norms are changing can help people alter their behaviors.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-10-behaviors-perception.html
A lot of behaviour modification is done along generational lines. and through school indoctrination, television, and other media, attempting to make unusual behaviour seem more mainstream. This is how homosexuality has gone from the closet to everyone's living room, even childrens shows broach the two daddy/two mommy subject, in an attempt to portray this as "normal" while attacks on those who hold traditional values are vicious.
A multitude of other perceptions which have been altered through television, some an improvement, others not, but all to effect social change by changing the perception of "normal".

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:32:16 am »
I want to go back to everything that was "normal" -- in 1954!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:51:57 am »
Works for me!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:25:47 am »

You mean when nothing was suggestive or naughty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5Brc9KrS8
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln