Author Topic: Schools Say Valedictorian Award Leads to Unhealthy Competition, Students Disagree  (Read 864 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Timothy Meads
Townhall
October 6, 2017

High schools are increasingly ditching giving the graduating senior with the top grades in his or her respective class the traditional valedictorian award, reports the Wall Street Journal.

“I think it’s pretty stupid, and I don’t think it’s fair” said Ryan Walters, a promising student who most likely could have been a top contender for the award before his high school decided against giving it out. “Wake County is instilling in us that we shouldn’t try to be the best,” added Walters, commenting on his school district in Wake Forest, North Carolina.

Heritage High School, Walters’ school, is not alone in getting rid of the award. At least half the United States high schools have stopped giving the award or they name multiple valedictorians for the graduating class.

More
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:54:25 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline thackney

Are they going to stop giving grades and just hand out participation trophies?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
thackney muses:
"Are they going to stop giving grades and just hand out participation trophies?"

Not yet.
But if the lefties get their way, it might very well happen eventually.

Offline jpsb

They pretty much do that already. Average SAT scores are down 300 points from 15 years ago and we are talking the dumbed down SAT. Not the hard SAT us old timers took.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Give them time...it will happen.  Slowly but surely any and all reasons to be better than anyone and to go the extra mile to better yourself are being banned.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They pretty much do that already. Average SAT scores are down 300 points from 15 years ago and we are talking the dumbed down SAT. Not the hard SAT us old timers took.

So my 960 I scored on my SAT in 1987 holds more weight now than a kid that scores a 1200 in 2017?

Cool!  :laugh:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

I wonder if in part this due to the fact that more and more Valedictorians are Asian.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Uhhh dude.......here in 2066 our high school has two scholastic tiers.......   cool and uncool

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Townhall article replaces WSJ article which was behind a paywall.