Author Topic: American Mobile Nuclear Missile Launchers Is a Really Bad Idea  (Read 532 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

American Mobile Nuclear Missile Launchers Is a Really Bad Idea
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:31:38 am »
Robert Beckhusen

But in reality, the Pentagon has studied mobile launchers for decades and has generally found them to possess several distinct disadvantages. America nearly built two versions, a rail-mounted Peacekeeper and road-mobile “Midgetman” missile. When the military did commission prototypes such as the Hard Mobile Launcher in the 1980s, among others, budget priorities and domestic politics scuttled them. And that was during the Cold War.

Decades from now, the U.S. Air Force may embark on radically new method — for the United States — of deploying nuclear-armed intercontinental ballistic missiles. These would be mobile ICBMs carried on road or rail launchers … or perhaps other, even more unusual methods of keeping these weapons of mass destruction from being knocked out in a first strike by Russia or China.
The planning for a mobile ICBM force exists in almost total secrecy. But in April, Arms Control Today, the monthly publication of the Washington, D.C.-based Arms Control Association, reported that the Air Force is considering building mobile launchers to enter service around 2050 — with new nuclear missiles to boot — as existing Minuteman IIIs age out.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/american-mobile-nuclear-missile-launchers-really-bad-idea-22579
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: American Mobile Nuclear Missile Launchers Is a Really Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:32:49 am »
I have always thought that America adopt a mobile nuclear system just like China and Russia. It increases our survivalbility of our nuclear forces in a attack.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: American Mobile Nuclear Missile Launchers Is a Really Bad Idea
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:36 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsEvI7dB5Ak

Midgetman Hardened Mobile Launcher. It was a good idea and they axed it.