Author Topic: Key GOP senators open to ‘bump stock’ ban  (Read 856 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Key GOP senators open to ‘bump stock’ ban
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:34:43 pm »

Republicans want to learn more about a device reportedly used in the mass shooting in Las Vegas.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN, SEUNG MIN KIM and BURGESS EVERETT

10/04/2017 02:31 PM EDT

Updated 10/04/2017 04:14 PM EDT

Top Senate Republicans said Wednesday they are open to considering legislation banning devices that were reportedly used to gun down scores of people in the worst mass shooting in modern American history.

Bump stocks — also known as “slide fire” devices, which work by rapidly “bumping” the trigger of a semi-automatic weapon to boost the rate of fire — were reportedly used by Stephen Paddock to kill 58 people and wound more than 500 in Sunday’s Las Vegas massacre.

No Republican has yet joined Democrats in endorsing a bill targeting bump stocks, but their comments suggest a potential shift in the party’s typically hard-line opposition to gun control measures.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/04/bump-stock-ban-republican-senators-243453
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Key GOP senators open to ‘bump stock’ ban
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »
You can get the same effect with a rubber band and practice.

You also can get 3D printer plans all over the dark web to 'print' them yourself.

They aren't putting this cat back in the bag.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 08:42:02 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/4/gun-shops-brace-run-bump-stocks/
Gun shops brace for run on ‘bump stocks’

I tried to order one from Cabelas earlier today. I'll try Cheaper than Dirt tonight.

Not that I think they are good for anything for an honest person. Just an investment.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:45:50 pm »
I tried to order one from Cabelas earlier today. I'll try Cheaper than Dirt tonight.

Not that I think they are good for anything for an honest person. Just an investment.

Other than to mow people down why would anyone want one?...
Support the USO

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:56 pm »

It is a range toy more than anything. But 90% of the add-ons for AR platforms are just toys for the range, not really useful.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »
It is a range toy more than anything. But 90% of the add-ons for AR platforms are just toys for the range, not really useful.

I am surprised they are allowed at a range...exactly what do you shoot at with it?
Support the USO

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:58:18 pm »

Republicans want to learn more about a device reportedly used in the mass shooting in Las Vegas.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN, SEUNG MIN KIM and BURGESS EVERETT

10/04/2017 02:31 PM EDT

Updated 10/04/2017 04:14 PM EDT

Top Senate Republicans said Wednesday they are open to considering legislation banning devices that were reportedly used to gun down scores of people in the worst mass shooting in modern American history.

Bump stocks — also known as “slide fire” devices, which work by rapidly “bumping” the trigger of a semi-automatic weapon to boost the rate of fire — were reportedly used by Stephen Paddock to kill 58 people and wound more than 500 in Sunday’s Las Vegas massacre.

No Republican has yet joined Democrats in endorsing a bill targeting bump stocks, but their comments suggest a potential shift in the party’s typically hard-line opposition to gun control measures.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/04/bump-stock-ban-republican-senators-243453

It's always easier and politically tempting to do essentially useless things like this, rather than address the real and more intractable problems, such as a sick and immoral popular culture, and the growing prevalence of mental illness.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 08:59:35 pm »
I am surprised they are allowed at a range...exactly what do you shoot at with it?

Paper, watermelons, etc. A lot of folks down here have their own ranges, aka, land that they bulldozed some dirt up on. I am sure many professional ranges will not allow them because they are dangerous (just like they won't allow some dirt cheap brands of guns like Jimenez or Hi Point due to liability issues).

I've personally never seen one at a professional range. Class 3 legally owned are more common than those. I think people who are serious about firearms wouldn't waste their money (until now when there is a potential investment opportunity if they are banned or restricted).  I see them all the time at gun shows and it is usually the kids who are looking at them and watching the videos.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 09:05:48 pm »
You can get the same effect with a rubber band and practice.

You also can get 3D printer plans all over the dark web to 'print' them yourself.

They aren't putting this cat back in the bag.

You don't even need the rubber band if you know what you are doing!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 02:23:10 am »
Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

The hotel shooter had no less than twelve -- count 'em, 12 -- of his rifles in the hotel room fitted with bump-stocks.

Unless the manufacturers of these devices agree to voluntarily stop selling them, they'll be made history "by law". One way or the other.

Which would be preferable?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 12:06:40 pm »
That's exactly what I would use them for when they come to take my guns.

Isn't that why we have the 2nd amendment anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
Are they going to ban the bump technique?  The device just make makes the shoulder bump technique easier.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
It may be symbolism, but symbolism may be important right now.   Moreover, a GOP agreement to ban bump stocks - apparently a contributing factor to the mayhem in Las Vegas - would present a reasonable, limited and arguably efficacious response to what went down this week,  and help forestall the enactment of wider-ranging "gun control" legislation.   

Remember that bad facts create bad laws.   A bump stock ban can at least be justified by the facts in Las Vegas. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide