Author Topic: Geothermal Power Plant Shuts Down After 8 Years Of Endless Troubles  (Read 627 times)

rangerrebew

Geothermal Power Plant Shuts Down After 8 Years Of Endless Troubles
Green Energy Debacle: Multi-Million-Euro Geothermal Power Plant Shuts Down After 8 Years Of Endless Troubles

By P Gosselin on 4. October 2017

Like so many (highly subsidized) green energy projects in Germany the Kalina geothermal power plant in Unterhaching, Germany, was put into operation with great fanfare some 8 years ago in 2009.

Look at all the great things we’re doing, high ranking politicians seemed to say as the cut the opening ribbon.

http://notrickszone.com/2017/10/04/green-energy-debacle-multi-million-euro-geothermal-power-plant-shuts-down-after-8-years-of-endless-troubles/#sthash.5eLcYok8.O91hYbl0.dpbs

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Geothermal Power Plant Shuts Down After 8 Years Of Endless Troubles
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:20:55 am »
Other than stinking like ammonia the hour it was turned on, the last sentence is worth examining:

Alternative energy seems to be burning cash rather than generating power.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »
I guess none of those who pushed this project ever looked at the operating problems geothermal plants in Iceland, California and New Zealand have had. Those plants use heavily mineral laden hot water to produce steam either directly or indirectly. AS it cools, the minerals come out of solution and crap up the heat exchangers or the turbines. This stuff is also highly corrosive.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »
I guess none of those who pushed this project ever looked at the operating problems geothermal plants in Iceland, California and New Zealand have had. Those plants use heavily mineral laden hot water to produce steam either directly or indirectly. AS it cools, the minerals come out of solution and crap up the heat exchangers or the turbines. This stuff is also highly corrosive.
Yep, that was my experience in geothermal in Indonesia I worked on as well.

Not only corrosive, but once it solidifies it is a hazard to dispose of as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington