Author Topic: USAF Replaces Bulky Tape Cartridges For Loading Launch Codes Into ICBMs  (Read 1527 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

The U.S. Air Force still is pushing ahead with plans to modernize its intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) force as the Pentagon continues to work through its latest nuclear posture review, which will likely decide the future of that entire leg of America’s “Nuclear Triad.” In the meantime, the service is still conducting smaller more immediate projects to update the dated infrastructure supporting this deterrent arm, including replacing huge tape-based data systems that personnel used to reprogram missile launch codes and other data.

On Oct. 2, 2017, the Air Force reported that the 91st Missile Wing at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota, one of three ICBM wings in the service, had begun using a new information transfer system to upload critical mission information into each individual LGM-30G Minuteman III ICBM. The first of these new Data Transfer Units (DTU) became available in June 2017 as part of a $68 million upgrade program.“The DTU loads the Missile Guidance Set, which is the brain of the Minuteman III, with sensitive cryptographic data and other information the missile needs in order to function,” U.S. Air Force Captain Kevin Drumm, the codes operations chief at the 91st Operation Support Squadron, explained to the service’s reporters. “The DTU has increased productivity and shortened the time required to conduct coding operations.”

Shortening the time is putting it mildly. Before the upgraded units arrived, the 91st was using a system called the Launch Facility Load Cartridge to program tape memory cartridges with all the necessary data. According to Drumm, it would take 45 minutes to build the data set, which personnel would then spend another 30 minutes loading into a single missile.On top of that, the cartridge programming equipment was so old that it could only fit enough information for one missile on a single tape cartridge tape unit, which weighed approximately 45 pounds each. The information for each missile is unique for security purposes, so the wing’s code team would need to run through the process 50 times and lug all of the cassettes out to the dispersed launch facilities.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/14828/usaf-replaces-bulky-tape-cartridges-for-loading-launch-codes-into-icbms
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: USAF Replaces Bulky Tape Cartridges For Loading Launch Codes Into ICBMs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 03:09:57 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYbWBjswKI

STRATEGIC AUTOMATED COMMAND AND CONTROL SYSTEM 465L
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:14:47 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYbWBjswKI

STRATEGIC AUTOMATED COMMAND AND CONTROL SYSTEM 465L

I think it is highly inappropriate for you to be posting highly classified military information like that on the open forum. We have at least one Dem Plant here and if the MSM is correct, quite a few Soviets.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 03:16:28 am »
I think it is highly inappropriate for you to be posting highly classified military information like that on the open forum. We have at least one Dem Plant here and if the MSM is correct, quite a few Soviets.

The last I checked this was on You Tube. Send them a message.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 03:18:40 am »
Next will be the biplanes. No respect for tradition.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:20:07 am »

Listen pal. No one bothers with that Youtube stuff. It's a ghost town. This forum on the other hand is the Kremlins first read in the morning.

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 03:21:32 am »

The proper response to sarcasm is more sarcasm...

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:24:29 am »
 :tongue2:
Listen pal. No one bothers with that Youtube stuff. It's a ghost town. This forum on the other hand is the Kremlins first read in the morning.

You do not like it e-mail You Tube to stop all their uploads. They would not upload unclassified material unless it was cleared first. I will only stop if the mods told me to do.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:26:58 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 03:32:54 am »
  They would not upload unclassified material unless it was cleared first.

That's the type of logic that Snowden uses. You wanna know why the YouTube logo is red? It's because it is a Putin controlled Commie Pinko outfit set on destroying the moral fabric of this great country.

I shudder to think how many lives will be lost now that the Ruskies know about out rotary phone technology.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 03:36:56 am »
That's the type of logic that Snowden uses. You wanna know why the YouTube logo is red? It's because it is a Putin controlled Commie Pinko outfit set on destroying the moral fabric of this great country.

I shudder to think how many lives will be lost now that the Ruskies know about out rotary phone technology.

Let a mod settle this not some person who wants a fight.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 03:51:23 am »

Don't worry about it. I just alerted the Mods to your dullness. They will solve all of this now like they do everything.

Fun Fact: Mods receive more formal schooling than Doctors.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 03:56:10 am »
Jeez Frank, you should know by now that you can't force someone to have a sense of humor.  Lord knows I've tried and if I can't do it...

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 03:58:23 am »
Don't worry about it. I just alerted the Mods to your dullness. They will solve all of this now like they do everything.

Fun Fact: Mods receive more formal schooling than Doctors.
OK..Whatever
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:58:41 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:59:11 am »
Jeez Frank, you should know by now that you can't force someone to have a sense of humor.  Lord knows I've tried and if I can't do it...

Hey lady. I'm not forcing anything on anyone here. I am just polluting an otherwise dull low post thread with some absurdity.......like I do on 97% of the threads here.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 04:01:02 am »
Hey lady. I'm not forcing anything on anyone here. I am just polluting an otherwise dull low post thread with some absurdity.......like I do on 97% of the threads here.

Who the hell are you calling a lady?

Online DB

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 04:12:32 am »

Frank Cannon isn't looking for a fight with you at all. He's just being Frank Cannon with intense sarcasm taking advantage of the content of the article you posted to mock how old the USAF tech is in the article. It wasn't intended to be personal at all.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 04:13:46 am »
Who the hell are you calling a lady?

Pardon me......Old Bag.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 04:44:51 am »
Pardon me......Old Bag.

Not turned on anymore, huh?  You're welcome.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 04:48:03 am »
Not turned on anymore, huh?  You're welcome.

Who says that? I'm into all sorts of things. One of these days I will tell you about my "vacation" to Bolivia.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 04:52:31 am »
Who says that? I'm into all sorts of things. One of these days I will tell you about my "vacation" to Bolivia.

I shall await that day with bated breath.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:59 am »
I shall await that day with bated breath.

If by "bated" you mean booze soaked, I recommend it for that story.

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 06:43:11 am »
All that talk just looks wrong with those avatars...

rangerrebew

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 09:17:39 am »
About 90% of the  conversation has nothing to do with the original posting which means it's time to get back on topic.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 09:28:25 am »
About 90% of the  conversation has nothing to do with the original posting which means it's time to get back on topic.

Thank You Scott.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:29:26 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 09:45:56 am »
Gave me a morning chuckle . :silly: Thanks.