Author Topic: Superhot 'Dragon's Breath' Chili Pepper Can Kill. Here's How  (Read 1764 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Superhot 'Dragon's Breath' Chili Pepper Can Kill. Here's How
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »
Death by chili pepper may not be a common way to die, but it's certainly a possibility for unlucky souls adventurous enough to try Dragon's Breath, the new hottest pepper in town.

Mike Smith, the owner of Tom Smith's Plants in the United Kingdom, developed the record-breaking pepper with researchers at the University of Nottingham. He doesn't recommend the pepper for eating, however, because it may be the last thing a person ever tastes.

So how exactly do hot peppers, such as Dragon's Breath, maim or kill those who try to eat them? Let's start with the pepper's spicy stats: Dragon's Breath is so spicy, it clocks in at 2.48 million heat units on the Scoville scale, a measurement of concentration of capsaicin, the chemical that releases that spicy-heat sensation people feel when they bite into a chili pepper. Dragon's Breath is hotter than the current record-holder, the Carolina Reaper, which packs an average of 1.6 million Scoville heat units, as well as U.S. military pepper sprays, which hit about 2 million on the Scoville scale, according to the Daily Post.

https://www.livescience.com/59184-how-dragons-breath-chili-peppers-can-kill.html

Sorry, not a masochist of that level, I'll pass thank you very much.  Habanero and a bit hotter is about as high as I go.  Heat (pain) with no flavor just doesn't do it for me.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Superhot 'Dragon's Breath' Chili Pepper Can Kill. Here's How
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:46:17 pm »
UPDATE:
http://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a55687/pepper-x-hottest-pepper/

Pepper X clocks in at 3.18 Scoville units, meaning that if you thought Dragon's Breath would be terribly uncomfortable to consume, you literally haven't seen anything.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:52:28 pm »
I've raised Carribean habaneros which get up to around 800K. All pain, no flavor. Stopped growing them for that reason. Like my citrus and smoky my hot peppers, otherwise there is no reason to raise them.

The point of food is balance and complement. I have nothing to prove and never did.
The Republic is lost.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »
I've raised Carribean habaneros which get up to around 800K. All pain, no flavor. Stopped growing them for that reason. Like my citrus and smoky my hot peppers, otherwise there is no reason to raise them.

The point of food is balance and complement. I have nothing to prove and never did.
I have some habanero sauces that are made with mango and others with peaches...mmmm good.  Like you, if there's no chance of "balance and complement", what's the point?