Author Topic: Dems, Giffords to push gun reforms in wake of Las Vegas shooting  (Read 1890 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems, Giffords to push gun reforms in wake of Las Vegas shooting
By Mike Lillis - 10/02/17 12:22 PM EDT

Democrats, joined by former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz.), are amplifying their calls for tougher gun laws in the wake of the deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas.

Democrats on Monday quickly intensified their campaign after a gunman targeted an outdoor country music festival on the Las Vegas strip Sunday night, leaving at least 59 people dead and more than 520 others injured. The lawmakers have pressed for years for tighter gun restrictions, only to have those efforts beaten back on Capitol Hill, largely by Republicans, who are near-universally opposed to such changes.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/353437-dems-giffords-to-push-gun-reforms-in-wake-of-las-vegas-shooting
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online dfwgator

Re: Dems, Giffords to push gun reforms in wake of Las Vegas shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:25:19 pm »
Sun will also rise at dawn tomorrow too. What's the news here?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:59:59 pm »
Sun will also rise at dawn tomorrow too. What's the news here?

Exactly.  This is how the DEMS always react to a tragedy; stupid and misinformed!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:24:12 pm »
Exactly.  This is how the DEMS always react to a tragedy; stupid and misinformed!
I remain opposed to any more firearm restrictions. Maybe we should pass laws against mass murder?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:51:09 pm »
Yep.  The bodies weren't even yet cold and already, this broad had to use this tragedy for political gain.  Hillary too.

She's a despicable, thoroughly rotten woman. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:53:29 am »
Horrible to say but it seems that Dems can't wait for the next shooting to happen so they can start this crap all over again.  They are like ambulance chasers.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:25 am »
It will be interesting to see what Trump does. He was campaigning on an "assault" weapons ban back in 2000. I wouldn't bet the farm he's going to stick up for the 2nd amendment now when the going gets tough.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:05:11 am »
If gun reform did not happen after the children of Sandy Hook were slaughtered it isn't going to happen.  I have no solution for ending senseless violence.  What makes these politicians, entertainers and talking heads believe they have the solution?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 01:26:49 am »
I have no solution for ending senseless violence.  What makes these politicians, entertainers and talking heads believe they have the solution?
I honestly think they (politicians, entertainers and talking heads) are part of the problem. For eight years we were told that bad was good, up was down, wrong was right, and that people would get savaged by governmental edict 'for their own good'. Now that we are getting away from an upside down America, the Media are braying that it is the end of the world.

All that agitprop is going to affect people, some more than others. Now we're still being told the economy is great, although most of that is in the stock market, and despite some things being better, the same boogeymen are scratching under the bed and in people's heads. The MSM are keeping that in the forefront, and attacking the person many see as the solution (FWIW), no matter what, and that's just the MSM and not what is available online.

It's hard to listen to the day to day cognitive dissonance and remain unaffected, but some will succumb earlier than others. (It's also why I seldom watch television news).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 01:51:05 am »
Lottie wrote:
"If gun reform did not happen after the children of Sandy Hook were slaughtered it isn't going to happen."

This time it might be different.
59 dead so far.
Something like 400+ injured.
Seems incredible that one individual could have wreaked so much havoc.

It starts to get hard to resist numbers like that.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be resisted.
But I'm a realist.

Prediction:
We'll probably see some kind of "compromise legislation" (because the Republicans in Congress will be desperate to dispel their well-earned reputation as unable to do anything).
I'm thinking that modification accessories that can convert semi-auto rifles (such as AR's) to "bump-firing" will be banned.

I admit I'm not up on the in's and out's of such conversions. But they're going to become "an easy target" for the left to assault...

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:56:23 am »
I think the question essential t that is whether or not he used bump fire accessories or whether the firearms he used were built as or converted to select fire weapons. Either way, I expect to see the push to strip suppressors of the NFA restrictions to fail if pressed in these circumstances.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:22:37 am »
Lottie wrote:
"If gun reform did not happen after the children of Sandy Hook were slaughtered it isn't going to happen."

This time it might be different.
59 dead so far.
Something like 400+ injured.
Seems incredible that one individual could have wreaked so much havoc.

It starts to get hard to resist numbers like that.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be resisted.
But I'm a realist.

Prediction:
We'll probably see some kind of "compromise legislation" (because the Republicans in Congress will be desperate to dispel their well-earned reputation as unable to do anything).
I'm thinking that modification accessories that can convert semi-auto rifles (such as AR's) to "bump-firing" will be banned.

I admit I'm not up on the in's and out's of such conversions. But they're going to become "an easy target" for the left to assault...

I really have no problem getting rid of the "bump firing" conversions.  Seriously....how many shots do you really need to take down a deer anyway.   :laugh:

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:32:06 am »
The Dems are not going to get it. They do not have a majority in Congress or a President to enjoy their propaganda.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 03:34:21 am »
I really have no problem getting rid of the "bump firing" conversions.  Seriously....how many shots do you really need to take down a deer anyway.   :laugh:

Amen.  I don't see any need for that.  Did you guys read about this mans father?  Convicted bank robber that had been on the FBI most wanted list in the 70's.  Said he was a psychopath.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:34:43 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 06:22:21 am »
One, usually. (Oddly enough, though, I won a bet a few years back. If I wanted to go hunting in ND with a 75 round drum magazine, it was perfectly legal so long as I did not exceed my bag limit (1). It was amusing when the DNR guy on the other end of the phone said .."but if it takes more than three, you need to learn how to shoot." I informed him that with our crew shirt tails get cut off if it takes more than 3 shots to get that deer.
Full auto, however, is not permitted for deer hunting.
But it isn't about deer hunting, and I know you know that. A bump fire stock, indeed, full auto, in the hands of the law abiding is no more threat than a beanie baby to anyone but those who threaten life.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:15:56 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 06:26:13 am »
Amen.  I don't see any need for that.  Did you guys read about this mans father?  Convicted bank robber that had been on the FBI most wanted list in the 70's.  Said he was a psychopath.

So is the legal standard "what someone needs" verses "how dangerous" it is? And we're going to let government determine that balance?

By that standard skate boards would have been outlawed a long time ago.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 06:38:54 am »
The crazies are far more of a threat to the 2nd Amendment than the Dims.

Every one of these attacks erodes the public's support for the 2nd. In the not to distant future most Americans will unfortunately come to conclusion that if you can't control the crazies then control the guns.

Sadly, for our freedom I don't see any alternative to that future...

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 07:11:34 am »
The crazies are far more of a threat to the 2nd Amendment than the Dims.

Every one of these attacks erodes the public's support for the 2nd. In the not to distant future most Americans will unfortunately come to conclusion that if you can't control the crazies then control the guns.

Sadly, for our freedom I don't see any alternative to that future...
The only problem is that you still won't control the crazies, and they'll all take up farming...and renting trucks...or SOMEthing.

If someone is hell-bent on doing evil they will find a way. It might be LSD in the water supply, it might be Sarin gas or TATP on the subway, it might be with a firearm, but they'll find a way if they have to run naked through the subway stabbing people with a syringe full of AIDS blood or a knife. Evil is evil, and discarding the means to defend against it will NOT make the world a safer place.

Evil and crazy people don't give a flying >bleep< about the rules. If they need a gun, they'll make one.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 07:14:43 am »
If dad was a horse thief, we still can't hang the son for that.

I'm waiting to find out why this one went off the rails.

But I'm not willing to be deprived of life, liberty, or property for someone else's crime.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 07:22:45 am »
The only problem is that you still won't control the crazies, and they'll all take up farming...and renting trucks...or SOMEthing.

If someone is hell-bent on doing evil they will find a way. It might be LSD in the water supply, it might be Sarin gas or TATP on the subway, it might be with a firearm, but they'll find a way if they have to run naked through the subway stabbing people with a syringe full of AIDS blood or a knife. Evil is evil, and discarding the means to defend against it will NOT make the world a safer place.

Evil and crazy people don't give a flying >bleep< about the rules. If they need a gun, they'll make one.

I don't disagree and I agree with every thing you said.

But...watching the way American society has worked over the years I've come to the sad conclusion that in a generation our rights under the 2nd will be nothing more than a dim memory. Even though I'm an old guy I have young kids and I really fear for their future....

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 07:26:22 am »
I don't disagree and I agree with every thing you said.

But...watching the way American society has worked over the years I've come to the sad conclusion that in a generation our rights under the 2nd will be nothing more than a dim memory. Even though I'm an old guy I have young kids and I really fear for their future....
The only defense against that is to teach every decent kid you can to shoot. If we don't get the next generation involved, it won't be there.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 07:37:27 am »
The only defense against that is to teach every decent kid you can to shoot. If we don't get the next generation involved, it won't be there.

They can shoot. What I really try to teach them is how to think and to have situational awareness. We have spent a lot of time in SE Asia in places where having a firearm is impossible and if you get into trouble there is no one within about ten thousand miles to help you. It was a great learning environment for them but I always remind them to look and think wherever they are..

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 07:39:17 am »
They can shoot. What I really try to teach them is how to think and to have situational awareness. We have spent a lot of time in SE Asia in places where having a firearm is impossible and if you get into trouble there is no one within about ten thousand miles to help you. It was a great learning environment for them but I always remind them to look and think wherever they are..
I have taught mine to stay clear of the conflict and to see it coming. Better to not have to engage than explain. However, sometimes trouble finds you.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 08:58:47 am »
If gun reform did not happen after the children of Sandy Hook were slaughtered it isn't going to happen.  I have no solution for ending senseless violence.  What makes these politicians, entertainers and talking heads believe they have the solution?

Politicians have the power to cure global warming.

“....this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal ...”  -Barack Obama, Nomination Victory Speech, St. Paul June 3, 2008.

Hey, if they can do that, they can solve this human nature thing easy peesy. For, surely, they are gods!