Author Topic: Las Vegas shooting: Killer bought more than 30 weapons, source says  (Read 7652 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Las Vegas shooting: Killer bought more than 30 weapons, source says
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:03 pm »
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"My question is one of whether or not he had factory full auto capable weapons (Class III)"

I'm going to -guess- that he did not.

With 12 bump-fire modified AR rifles lined up and ready-to-go, that was all he needed. Seems to fall in line with other reports that the firing was broken up into 11 or so sequences -- as he changed weapons.

Is Congressional legislation required for the ATF (or whoever it is that makes such "classification" decisions) to act?
Or... can it act on its own?

I was thinking of this earlier. IF Congress acts to "ban" bump-fire stock accessories, it's quite possible that the subsequent legislation might "go further", with additional bans and restrictions. We clearly don't want that.

BUT -- IF the manufacturers of these devices could be... um... "persuaded" to voluntarily withdraw them from production, such legislation wouldn't be necessary.(Doubtless the left would press for it anyway, but Republicans might be able to resist it under such a scenario.

This would be the better way out of a bad situation.
Early accounts say he had a class III license. None of those rifles were 'low end' AR-15 clones, so I'm guessing he could have afforded actual Class III arms.

As for the Bump fire stocks, there are plenty of those out there, and while the value would go up, any ban would end up regulating or banning those in circulation. That raises the spectre of a "buyback" or banning of equipment already in private hands, neither of which is a precedent we want to establish or revive (although it exists with the requirement of de facto registration of Class III arms in the NFA of '34. Today your buttstock, tomorrow your butt.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2022, 08:15:57 pm »
Remember this story? Our FBI, aren't they something?
Greg Price
@greg_price11
A multi-millionaire retired accountant with no previous criminal record committed the deadliest mass shooting in American history five years ago today and the FBI closed the case with a 3-page report that never determined a motive.
2:11 PM · Oct 1, 2022

He was somehow able to get 23 firearms into a Las Vegas hotel room. He shot a hotel security guard 6 minutes before he began firing but the first police officers didn't arrive until 15 minutes after his 10 minute shooting spree at the Route 91 country music festival ended.

"It makes no sense. He's never hit anybody. He had a safe with a few handguns but had no automatic weapons that I knew of at any time. It makes no sense."  - Las Vegas shooter's brother.

“He was the most stable, even-keeled personality,” said Lisa Crawford, who worked as a property manager in Texas for the Vegas shooter from 2006 to 2012. “He never even got frustrated.”

A well-off man in his mid-60s with no known mental health issues, no history of violent or criminal behavior, or any extreme beliefs shot hundreds of strangers from the 32nd floor of a popular Vegas hotel and we still have no idea why he did it.

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1576273515388735495

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2022, 09:13:39 pm »
From the post above:
"A multi-millionaire retired accountant with no previous criminal record committed the deadliest mass shooting in American history five years ago today, and the FBI closed the case with a 3-page3 report that never determined a motive"...

Occam's razor.
There was no "motive", other than this guy desired to go down as the greatest mass shooter in history and kept quiet about it as he made his plans...

Offline verga

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2022, 06:04:56 pm »
 :bkmk:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2022, 09:16:04 pm »
Kinda depends upon the 'weapons'. A lot of that could be pocket knives and nail clippers anymore.

But yeah, hauling all that crap up there doesn't make a lot of sense.

@roamer_1

And opening fire on a crowd of concert goers does?

These people are lunatics,and lunatics,by definition,make no  sense.

His "reason" could have been "It's Tuesday".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2022, 09:21:27 pm »
That's right. but neither can I just write it off to crazy yet, either.

@roamer_1

I can.

If you murder innocent people you are crazy.

Period,

Online roamer_1

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2022, 09:44:28 pm »
@roamer_1

I can.

Period,

Well I wrote that nearly 5 years ago @sneakypete ... But I reckon I wasn't writing off something a little more nefarious... 'Crazy' is a cop out wrt motive.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2022, 09:46:10 pm »
Well I wrote that nearly 5 years ago @sneakypete ... But I reckon I wasn't writing off something a little more nefarious... 'Crazy' is a cop out wrt motive.

@roamer_1

Sometimes "crazy" is both the father and the mother to motive.

Offline verga

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2022, 06:02:18 pm »
@roamer_1

I can.

Period,
I personally don't like the "Diagnosis" crazy. It allows for an insanity defense, and that has been used/ abused way to often. You do the crime you do the time.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline berdie

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2022, 08:24:11 pm »
Frankly, if I had committed this crime (or a lot of others I have read about) and claimed insanity, I would not want to be let out on my own again. What's to say my cheese won't slip off my cracker again? I don't know which would be worse...prison or a mental facility.

Offline verga

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2022, 12:10:30 pm »
Frankly, if I had committed this crime (or a lot of others I have read about) and claimed insanity, I would not want to be let out on my own again. What's to say my cheese won't slip off my cracker again? I don't know which would be worse...prison or a mental facility.
My wife works at a local State Mental hospital. So many of the patients can't "handle"
 being out in the real world. They have no support system, no one to check on them. Consequently they end up back in the facility. For some it is almost a revolving door.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2022, 02:00:49 pm »
I thought the FBI's story on this event was malarkey at the time and I still think it's malarkey, like so many other things they have 'investigated' I doubt we will ever know the truth.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2022, 03:29:46 pm »
I thought the FBI's story on this event was malarkey at the time and I still think it's malarkey, like so many other things they have 'investigated' I doubt we will ever know the truth.

@GtHawk

Even though we all now know the FBI has been corrupt since Day One when a raging homosexual crossdresser was put in charge,and started using the resources of the feral government to collect dirt on anyone who might be a threat to him,I grew up thinking of them as saintly figures.

When Hoover died,ALL that blackmail dirt he had on prominent figures in AND out of government seems to have just "disappeared".

It didn't.

Someone unknown to the unwashed masses like thee and me has it,and have been using it for decades now to turn America into a dictatorship instead of a country ruled by a free people.

Want to do something to save America?

Find out who that is,and kill them and seize the blackmail material. Then go down the list and start exposing them ALL. Many will have died by now,but their heirs are still using that material for profits and power.

Air it ALL,and let the chips fall where they may.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2022, 06:57:50 am »
@GtHawk

Even though we all now know the FBI has been corrupt since Day One when a raging homosexual crossdresser was put in charge,and started using the resources of the feral government to collect dirt on anyone who might be a threat to him,I grew up thinking of them as saintly figures.

When Hoover died,ALL that blackmail dirt he had on prominent figures in AND out of government seems to have just "disappeared".

It didn't.

Someone unknown to the unwashed masses like thee and me has it,and have been using it for decades now to turn America into a dictatorship instead of a country ruled by a free people.

Find out who that is,and kill them and seize the blackmail material. Then go down the list and start exposing them ALL. Many will have died by now,but their heirs are still using that material for profits and power.

I like it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2022, 10:27:58 am »
@GtHawk

It didn't.

:thumbsup: