Author Topic: German military leaves Turkey's Incirlik airbase  (Read 933 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

German military leaves Turkey's Incirlik airbase
« on: October 01, 2017, 05:53:32 am »
Desuche Wells

Germany’s transfer of reconnaissance and refueling aircraft from Incirlik to Jordan’s al-Asrak airbase had been an unprecedented, mammoth task, German contingent commander Stefan Kleinheyer said Wednesday.
Germany’s parliament, which ultimately decides on deployments, voted overwhelmingly in June to leave Incirlik amid a multifaceted dispute with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan over his post-coup crackdown.
The Bundeswehr relocated a set of Tornado reconnaissance jets, a German refueling aircraft, logistical equipment and 260 personnel to Jordan. The troops are involved in oversight of the US-led aerial campaign against "Islamic State" (IS) militia in adjacent Syria.

German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen said the unit was being redeployed to a Jordanian air base used by numerous NATO partners.
Read more: Is Germany Recep Tayyip Erdogan's 'best enemy?'
In early September, seven German parliamentarians visited NATO’s Konya airbase in central Turkey under a compromise access arrangement via the military alliance.
Temporary compromise
At the time, Germany’s Foreign Ministry said that visit was only a temporary compromise, adding that Berlin would endeavor to arrange politically "smoother" parliamentary oversight in Turkey in the future.
As a "parliamentary army," the Bundeswehr requires a vote of approval from Bundestag lawmakers for each foreign deployment and a parliamentary committee regularly evaluates Germany missions abroad.
http://www.dw.com/en/german-military-leaves-turkeys-incirlik-airbase/a-40717584
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: German military leaves Turkey's Incirlik airbase
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:08:10 am »

The Angela and Ursula military 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 06:37:15 am »
Turkey should be out of NATO.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:40:25 am »
The Angela and Ursula military
The Bundeswehr was officially established on the 200th birthday of Scharnhorst in November 1955. In personnel and education terms, the most important initial feature of the new German armed forces was to be their orientation as citizen defenders of a democratic state, fully subordinate to the political leadership of the country. Many ex German officers were instermental in the development to the new army.As part of the German reunification process, under the Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany (Two-Plus Four Treaty), which paved the way for reunification, the Bundeswehr was to be reduced to 370,000 personnel, of whom no more than 345,000 were to be in the Army and Air Force. This would be Germany's contribution to the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe, and the restrictions would enter into force at the time the CFE treaty would. As a result, the Bundeswehr was significantly reduced, and the former East German Nationale Volksarmee (NVA) was disbanded, with a portion of its personnel and material being absorbed into the Bundeswehr.The role of the Bundeswehr is described in the Constitution of Germany (Art. 87a) as absolutely defensive only. Its only active role before 1990 was the Katastropheneinsatz (disaster control). Within the Bundeswehr, it helped after natural disasters both in Germany and abroad. After 1990, the international situation changed from East-West confrontation to one of general uncertainty and instability.Today, after a ruling of the Federal Constitutional Court in 1994 the term "defence" has been defined to not only include protection of the borders of Germany, but also crisis reaction and conflict prevention, or more broadly as guarding the security of Germany anywhere in the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Final_Settlement_with_Respect_to_Germany
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:42:57 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:44:36 am »
Turkey should be out of NATO.

Turkey is the only country close to Russia(Moscow) for a first tactical nuclear strike.The US has long had nuclear weapons in Turkey, most notably Jupiter missiles that John F. Kennedy secretly withdrew from the country following the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962 when the Soviet Union and America climbed down from the brink of a nuclear confrontation.The B61 bombs in storage at Incirlik are designed to be carried on a variety of high-speed jets, including the F-15E Strike Eagle and the F-16 Fighting Falcon. Each bomb is typically just under 12 feet long and weighs about 700 pounds, according to U.S. military specifications. They are stored in underground storage vaults inside aircraft hangars, and use control devices known as Permissive Action Links that make them difficult to use without authorization.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:55:41 am by DemolitionMan »

RAT Patrol

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:17:42 am »
Turkey is the only country close to Russia(Moscow) for a first tactical nuclear strike.The US has long had nuclear weapons in Turkey, most notably Jupiter missiles that John F. Kennedy secretly withdrew from the country following the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962 when the Soviet Union and America climbed down from the brink of a nuclear confrontation.The B61 bombs in storage at Incirlik are designed to be carried on a variety of high-speed jets, including the F-15E Strike Eagle and the F-16 Fighting Falcon. Each bomb is typically just under 12 feet long and weighs about 700 pounds, according to U.S. military specifications. They are stored in underground storage vaults inside aircraft hangars, and use control devices known as Permissive Action Links that make them difficult to use without authorization.

Are you just seeking to educate us?

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:14 am »
Are you just seeking to educate us?

Yes

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:38:35 pm »
@DemolitionMan

There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on TBR, so expect many to be ready to engage in exchanges of information too. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 04:59:02 pm »
Is it insane for the US, to remain in Turkey?

Is it a gamble, that Islamic radicalism will be short lived?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 07:53:33 pm »

When copying and pasting from The Washington Post, you should give the citation (and link).
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 08:09:35 pm »
When copying and pasting from The Washington Post, you should give the citation (and link).

Is that from WaPo?  I just Googled the first couple sentences from DM's post and nothing turned up....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 08:24:53 pm »
Is that from WaPo?  I just Googled the first couple sentences from DM's post and nothing turned up....

You can see where the plagiarism starts by the missing spaces between sentences.

See https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/07/19/an-old-nuclear-weapons-deal-raises-new-questions-about-u-s-bombs-in-turkey/

The B61 bombs in storage at Incirlik are designed to be carried on a variety of high-speed jets, including the F-15E Strike Eagle and the F-16 Fighting Falcon.  Etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:26:09 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 08:35:17 pm »
@DemolitionMan , please don't do that.  Things are already tense enough between WaPo and just about everybody else.  You have plenty of knowledge, you don't have to lift quotes.  If you must to make a point, always attribute with a link.  Forum rule.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »
You can see where the plagiarism starts by the missing spaces between sentences.

See https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/07/19/an-old-nuclear-weapons-deal-raises-new-questions-about-u-s-bombs-in-turkey/

Good catch, thanks.  It's always good to fix these things without getting Mods involved...  :beer:
I will NOT comply.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:27 am »
@DemolitionMan , please don't do that.  Things are already tense enough between WaPo and just about everybody else.  You have plenty of knowledge, you don't have to lift quotes.  If you must to make a point, always attribute with a link.  Forum rule.

OK

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 12:32:06 am »
OK
No harm, no foul.  Just police your own comments...lol.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 12:47:26 am »
No harm, no foul.  Just police your own comments...lol.

:thumbsup3: :