Author Topic: The tragedy of the PBS-Ken Burns version of the Vietnam War  (Read 1012 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The tragedy of the PBS-Ken Burns version of the Vietnam War
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »
September 29, 2017
The tragedy of the PBS-Ken Burns version of the Vietnam War
By Stephen Sherman

Ken Burns, in his new PBS series, correctly points to the Vietnam War as a source of the polarization in our society today.  And he correctly urges us to revisit, understand, and come to grips with details making up that history through civil (as opposed to raucous) discourse.  He apparently believes he is presenting a fair picture of that history and that if we see it as the "tragedy" he paints, we will align our views with his so as to restore a more cohesive society.

The problem for many of us is that Burns does not see the same tragedy many of us lived in person day by day.  Yes, the deaths of millions, American and others, mostly Vietnamese, was tragedy – but not tragedy in the classic sense, that being the human characteristic, the hubris to believe we can design policy, take actions to thwart an undesirable or uncomfortable development in the future that we believe awaits us.

more
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/09/the_tragedy_of_the_pbsken_burns_version_of_the_vietnam_war.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: The tragedy of the PBS-Ken Burns version of the Vietnam War
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:21:51 pm »
I only saw one segment that was about Hal Moore at Battle of Ia Drang ...which seemed pretty fair and balanced.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 01:49:56 am »
No thanks.

I've reached the point where I don't trust Ken Burns to tell me the history of Vietnam any more than I would Oliver Stone to tell me the real story of the Kennedy assasination...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:16:26 am »
I only saw one segment that was about Hal Moore at Battle of Ia Drang ...which seemed pretty fair and balanced.
I saw enough glorification of the 'courageous' hippies who spat on my friends coming back from combat to tick me off, and I changed the channel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 03:25:59 am »

Seems fair and balanced because they only told you what they wanted you to know!

What they failed to tell you was that we lost the war that day! Not the military mind you but the REMFS who would not let us violate the "neutrality" of Laos and go get the bastards!  It was a story repeated hundreds of times but THAT is the one that convinced the people running things  in the North that they could win!  And, as it turned out, they were right but it required a lot more help from the people in our department of state, our "news" media (propaganda ministry), and the Democrat congress!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:36:48 am »
The protest against the war had little to do with the war.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:39:05 am »
The protest against the war had little to do with the war.
It was when the Communists got their foothold in the universities, the Democrat Party, and especially the Media.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 03:47:39 am »
I saw enough glorification of the 'courageous' hippies who spat on my friends coming back from combat to tick me off, and I changed the channel.

I remember clips of those hippies when I was a little kid, 5 or 6 years old. They made me mad, I wanted to jump thru the TV and beat them silly.

I've hated pretty much everything liberal and especially hippie ever since.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:49:37 am »
I hate Ken Burns documentaries.  HATE!  He can start with a subject that interests me and by the end he has ruined it for me for all time.  I've watched several.  I'll never watch another.  He could raw the rotten part out of anything.  He does not stick to the subject.  He is just out to ruin it, or so it seems to me.  YUCK.  As for educating anyone on the Vietnam War, he is not a source I would trust.  He always has a liberal agenda that comes first.  You would not get a balanced picture.

All you had to do to know what you were about to get was watch the list of sponsors at the beginning of each episode.  I watched two episodes just to confirm my suspicions fully and turned it off!

I was there and know better but they weren't targeting me with that garbage!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 03:51:11 am »
It was when the Communists got their foothold in the universities, the Democrat Party, and especially the Media.

Sorry but no!  They had long been there but the war is definitely what let them out of their cages!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:54:03 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 03:52:18 am »
I remember clips of those hippies when I was a little kid, 5 or 6 years old. They made me mad, I wanted to jump thru the TV and beat them silly.

I've hated pretty much everything liberal and especially hippie ever since.
I cheered when the hard hats swarmed into Times Square. "Ever hear two turtles >bleep<?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Hat_Riot

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 04:13:47 am »

I got spat on a couple times while stopping in SF on way to SFO coming and going to Fort Ord. Lets just say I didn't turn the other cheek.. :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:29 am »
I got spat on a couple times while stopping in SF on way to SFO coming and going to Fort Ord. Lets just say I didn't turn the other cheek.. :shrug:
Good for you!

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:59 am »
Where's Professor Turgeson when you need him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hn9xAaKUbw

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 04:37:53 am »

It is useful to remember, in spite of media efforts to distort America of the era, Nixon defeated McGovern by a huge landslide in 1972.

So Burns agenda to highlight opposition probably will downplay my facts.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 04:43:57 am »
It is useful to remember, in spite of media efforts to distort America of the era, Nixon defeated McGovern by a huge landslide in 1972.

So Burns agenda to highlight opposition probably will downplay my facts.
I pissed a lot of people off this past election by wearing a "President Nixon Now more than ever" button.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »
The problem with Ken Burns is that, like most lib/leftists, he just doesn't get the basic idea behind America. While watching his series on our national parks (which I thought was overall mediocre), Burns stated that our system of national parks was America's best idea.
Are you fricking kidding me??!!!
Hey, I love our NPs, but they are "our best idea" ?
Even some of the liberal historians disagreed with Burns on that and stated the ideals in the Declaration of Independence and the constitution were America's best ideas.
Burns is essentially a typical, clueless lib.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 07:00:06 pm »
Burns is essentially a typical, clueless lib.
It's a shame, because once upon a time Burns delivered a splendid---slightly flawed but splendid---
series on baseball, which is, of course, America's third best idea behind the Declaration of
Independence and the Constitution.

If nothing else, it would have been worth it to see the perfect juxtaposition of Sandy Koufax's
pitching rhythm to . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9y-n9B_XUM

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 07:16:32 pm »
At least he was 'Fair and Balanced' in his baseball pieces. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 07:28:08 pm »
At least he was 'Fair and Balanced' in his baseball pieces.
That he was.

And, like a lot of people who graduate themselves from the high arts (baseball) to the low
arts (politics, etc.), there went that idea. :smh:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 07:48:37 pm »
The definitive Vietnam doc was done in the early 80's by PBS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam:_A_Television_History

This bullshit Burns is doing is going to be leftward slanted revisionist history.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 08:14:46 pm »
This bullshit Burns is doing is going to be leftward slanted revisionist history.
It sounds as though it already is.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 12:29:13 am »
The definitive Vietnam doc was done in the early 80's by PBS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam:_A_Television_History

Even the one you mention, originally 13 episodes, was edited back to 11 by PBS by the time the DVD came out (two episodes eliminated completely on the DVD). Thankfully, Episode 2 (the original one) survives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXTKEMXm5I

Full list of original episodes is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185129/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

It looks like the original episode 13 also went into the PBS memory hole.

Found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glAW1eQjQSQ
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:32:18 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis